John from Riverside

Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I see you... I just don’t think deep ball is where this offense is. I see Josh being able to kill defenses by attacking the 10-25 yard area sideline to sideline by getting the ball there quickly.  Has he ever hit a bomb in the pros?  

Robert Foster

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What people forget is that there was a big WR drought after that draft.    Many years of poor prospects.   NFL execs knew that it was an oasis draft for the position and I can't blame Whaley for wanting the best one for the QB he had.   Whaley didn't get the job done but he was at least as unlucky as he was bad.    No Bills GM has had worse timing ascending to the job than that dude.   Ownership transition,  coaches forced on him and constantly changing schemes, bad QB drafts to choose from etc...    My old man always said better lucky than good and that dude was both unlucky and not cut out for the entirety of an NFL GM's role.    Biggest mistake was not firing him IMMEDIATELY when they hired McDermott. 

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

McD basically ran the draft with Whaley's guys and board.

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You’re right- that philosophy doesn’t apply to QB’s. You go get your guy.

Watkins didn’t work out, and that’s fine. Draft picks often don’t work out. And sometimes trading up to get a guy is a good play (falcons and Julio come to mind) but with Mike Evans, Odell, and Sammy all in that 1-15 range, how big was the drop off really? Maybe that’s hindsight again, but going into the draft there was a lot of love for all three of those guys and it’s hard to justify that much of a premium paid to get 1 instead of either of the other two. 

I thought if we didn’t trade up we were drafting a WR and if we traded up we were taking Mack. This is just a few hundred reasons that I hate Whaley and Brandon 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, John from Riverside said:

Would much rather have him running those deep throws then Zay Jones

That is all

That is like, not much.

But at $14.4 mill per year, since bringing in expensive FAs isn't really the process, we know this is a wildly unlikely possibility.

If they're unhappy with Zay by the end of the year, you can bet they'll try to replace him in the draft or with a low- to mid-priced FA or trade

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The bolded is why Ben Roethlisberger ended up in Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo.............and waiting and swooping in for the last prospect(JP Losman) cost the Bills a chance to select Aaron Rodgers the next year............so ya' know.........you are just oh-so very wrong.

Go get the guy you think is clearly the best player.

That was Watkins in the opinion of most.

If Watkins doesn't get boo-boo foot he'd have been a perennial 1200+ yard WR.........and he's still young and on pace for about 1400 this season.

Oh and when a great QB prospect falls in your lap and you need one........like Mahomes...........just f*cking take the guy and don't look back.........don't get cute and trade back with someone else who wants him.

Agreed on Roethlisberger and Losman. Too cheap to trade up.

But it's more than boo-boo foot that has kept Watkin around the 50th most productive WR in the league over his time as a pro. Even on the Rams and Bills when healthy, very average production. You're right that the injuries have been the major issue, but far from the only one. And yeah, he's on pace for about 1400 yards this season. But you could also say that based on his last three games he's on a pace for 890. Or you could say that in his first year he was on a pace for 1200 yards after a couple of games. On the Rams he was on a pace for over 1000 through three games.

Sammy has a history of one or two games a year where he dominates, and then disappearing for much of the year. Still far too early to say whether this year will be different, but 198, 49, 64 and 54 isn't exactly bucking that trend.

And with hindsight maybe Mahomes should have been grabbed, but knowing that the next year was widely considered a great year for QBs, with a GM who'd gone all in on EJ Manuel, when the buck stops with a head coach who was in his first year on a new team who feels he'd been too busy getting his whole system put in place to put in enough time in study on a young guy who was widely considered to have a high upside but to be a very risky pick ... sorry, passing makes a ton of sense to me under those circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That is like, not much.

But at $14.4 mill per year, since bringing in expensive FAs isn't really the process, we know this is a wildly unlikely possibility.

If they're unhappy with Zay by the end of the year, you can bet they'll try to replace him in the draft or with a low- to mid-priced FA or trade

What about this year?

We have an extremely easy schedule....a championship caliber defense.....Why shouldnt we take a shot?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What about this year?

We have an extremely easy schedule....a championship caliber defense.....Why shouldnt we take a shot?

Because the process.

We are taking a shot. It's called building through using the process.

They've made it wildly constantly clear that their goal is building a consistently competitive team. Not taking shots in random years.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Funny thing is that Mahomes played last year with almost entirely the same talent that a then struggling Bills defense nearly shut out in KC in 2017.

Funny how Hill and Hunt and Kelce weren't so scary with a game managing QB and Andy Reid.

Watch the games...........it's the play of that QB.

Post more

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McD basically ran the draft with Whaley's guys and board.

And almost all the guys he drafted were at the senior bowl.  I wonder if we end up with Mahomes if he were a senior...

12 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

They may have went with the higher rated Watson and not Mahommes.  We'll never know.

The rumor AT THE TIME(when nobody knew how great Mahomes would become) was that Whaley and The Pegs wanted to select Mahomes.

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Phil McGeoghan was his coach in college..........McD hired him to be WR coach.......there it is.     

On the flip side McD hired Bob Babich Jr. and he recommended Jordan Poyer.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Because the process.

They've made it wildly constantly clear that their goal is building a consistently competitive team. Not taking shots in random years.

Sometimes deviating from the course is necessary. Especially when you have a real opportunity infront of you.... I think adding a WR like Green would be big for Allen and could elevate the status of the team.

They probably should've beat the AFC super bowl favorites last week. They have a shot this year.... trading a 3rd or even 2nd round pick for a one year rental of an AJ Green or Stephon Diggs isn't going to kill you going forward and it immediately makes your team better.

Edited by ScottLaw

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sometimes deviating from the course is necessary. Especially when you have a real opportunity infront of you.... I think adding a WR like Green would be big for Allen and could elevate the status of the team.

They probably should've beat the AFC super bowl favorites last week. They have a shot this year.... trading a 3rd or even 2nd round pick for a one year rental of an AJ Green or Stephon Diggs isn't going to kill you going forward and it immediately makes your team better.

Stephon Diggs is on a multi year contract. That wouldn't be a one year rental nor would it likely cost only a 2nd or third. AJ Green would be a one year deal though yes. But I doubt if we traded for him that we wouldn't re-up him for a few more years. Not the best strategy trading picks for one year of players, atleast not high picks.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The rumor AT THE TIME(when nobody knew how great Mahomes would become) was that Whaley and The Pegs wanted to select Mahomes.

Phil McGeoghan was his coach in college..........McD hired him to be WR coach.......there it is.     

Win some, lose some.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Because the process.

Except when they were "inquiring" on Antonio Brown?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Huh?  I’m on this board every single day way too many times.  Never one time have I ever heard a rumor that Whaley and Pegulas wanted Mahomes, not once.  

So where was this rumor reported?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or was this more just basically fan speculation and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I’m on this board every single day way too many times.  Never one time have I ever heard a rumor that Whaley and Pegulas wanted Mahomes, not once.  

So where was this alleged rumor?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or is this more just what you or other fans think and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Unless he has a link, it's a fiction.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Unless he has a link, it's a fiction.

Link

• Thanks! (+1) 1

I think McDermott has said as much but the reason they didn't take a QB in 2017 was because they didn't have the GM position and the front office staff figured out. McD didn't want to make such a massive decision with a GM who was on his way out the door. 

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I hate you

:lol:

I mean, you can’t just lob one in there like that.  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The WR coach McDermott initially hired had been Zay's coach in college.  It doesn't require olympic skill in leaping to conclusions to believe that his coach lobbied hard for Zay and McDermott "bought it".  Whaley was involved in drafting Woods, Goodwin, and Watkins as well as bringing in Hogan.   McDermott and Beane together brought in Zay Jones, Benjamin, Corey Coleman, and Jordan Matthews amoung others.  I'd have to say looks like any problem with WR e v a l rests elsewhere than Whaley.

I don't have a source now, but I thought the rumor was Whaley wanted Watson.  Either way.

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Jeebus Virgil, can't you stick to the traditional methods?

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So where was this rumor reported?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or was this more just basically fan speculation and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Well,  you just need to consider the author of the post to figure out if there is any substance :p

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The WR coach McDermott initially hired had been Zay's coach in college.  It doesn't require olympic skill in leaping to conclusions to believe that his coach lobbied hard for Zay and McDermott "bought it".  Whaley was involved in drafting Woods, Goodwin, and Watkins as well as bringing in Hogan.   McDermott and Beane together brought in Zay Jones, Benjamin, Corey Coleman, and Jordan Matthews amoung others.  I'd have to say looks like any problem with WR e v a l rests elsewhere than Whaley.

I don't have a source now, but I thought the rumor was Whaley wanted Watson.  Either way.

Jeebus Virgil, can't you stick to the traditional methods?

I wanted to, but then I stumbled across that gem and couldn’t help myself.  

That man is my spirit animal