Acoustic Guitar Advice

RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

if things go well and you want to advance, dump it on Ebay when the time comes and buy a better guitar.

FYI I made the mistake of dumping my first guitar (a fairly inexpensive Yamaha) when I upgraded to a better one (a Taylor). 

Now whenever I go camping, which is an ideal place for an acoustic instrument, I worry about the Taylor getting the crap beat out of it on the bumpy roads, or getting stolen, or baking in the hot sun, etc.  Really wish now I had kept my Yamaha.  

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘nother thing. Know & strum an A & D chord in 1st Position. They both require a tight bunch of fingers. If you sound like crap strumming them, you’ll want a wider neck.

Good point. I had trouble with the A chord on my Ibanez. The guy at the music store recommended a 12-string. When I found the Seagull S12+ and fell in love with it, I decided to get an S6 Original too, which has the same wide neck as the S12+.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I just assumed an acoustic guitar would be less expensive.

A good acoustic will start at around $200 new. You can get a decent electric, with a small practice amp, for less than that. Since your budget is around $500, you can get a nice guitar of either type.

But really, it's about what you like to play. I started with acoustic, then bought an electric. But I found that I'm a better strummer than a picker, and for those big open chords, the acoustic is better. I started playing at age 45, which isn't the best time to learn something that involves fine-motor skills. Strumming rhythm guitar is easier for me because it involves fewer finger movements - just change chords once per measure, as opposed to playing 4-8 notes per measure. It also requires less precision with my right hand, because I'm strumming several strings at once instead of just one at a time.

I ended up giving the electric to my son. He also got my Ibanez acoustic when I bought the Seagull S6.

25 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

A good acoustic will start at around $200 new. You can get a decent electric, with a small practice amp, for less than that. Since your budget is around $500, you can get a nice guitar of either type.

But really, it's about what you like to play. I started with acoustic, then bought an electric. But I found that I'm a better strummer than a picker, and for those big open chords, the acoustic is better. I started playing at age 45, which isn't the best time to learn something that involves fine-motor skills. Strumming rhythm guitar is easier for me because it involves fewer finger movements - just change chords once per measure, as opposed to playing 4-8 notes per measure. It also requires less precision with my right hand, because I'm strumming several strings at once instead of just one at a time.

I ended up giving the electric to my son. He also got my Ibanez acoustic when I bought the Seagull S6.

yup, work on the acoustic for a few years

then get an SG and work out the 1st minute of James Gurley on Ball and Chain

:D

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

maybe take viola lessons, it's not as popular but still essential for chamber music works

you can play in a Seniors String Quartet for your golden years

There was a pretty good distribution of instrument preferences between the violin,  viola, cello and bass. I was hoping the kiddo would pick something small, and she got her choice of violin. The thing is a hell of a site cheaper to rent than the bass and cello that's for sure.

The best advice for any beginner is to bring an experienced player with you when you go to buy your guitar.  You simply will not be able to tell what is wrong or sub-optimal with a guitar you are trying.  You will also not even know if the guitars are in tune (which is going to greatly affect your impression of the quality of guitar's sound), or tuned to standard pitch (guitar stores often tune down cheap guitars to make them seem easier to play), or are easier or more difficult to play than the average guitar.  You probably will not be able to distinguish between the features of different guitars except on the most superficial level (bigger/smaller, louder/quieter, cutaway/no cutaway, etc.).  Get a friend to come along with you and let them know what your budget is.  Store salesmen will be somewhat helpful, but in the end they are more concerned with making sales than ensuring you've made the very best choice for you, and since you are likely buying an inexpensive guitar, they will not want to invest too much time in helping you make a choice.

Edited by Thurman Kelly

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Don't buy anything too cheap. My mom bought me a "First Act" guitar when I was a teenager, and I never learned how to play until someone gifted me their old Epiphone. Yamaha, Ibenez, are both good beginner guitars, and you won't be breaking the bank if you decide it isn't for you after a few months. But if you're not planning on spending at least $100-150, don't bother. 

Also, I learned the hard way, invest in a good case. 

Yeah, I agree. I’ve been playing for 20+ years and still have every guitar I’ve ever owned. Sometimes I’ll play a couple of the beginner guitars that sit in my closet, and they are almost impossible to play. The action is so high that barre chords never sound clear, and it’s extra brutal on the fingers. If I were just leaning on one of these, I’d give up thinking that the guitar is an impossible instrument.

The best advice is to just try guitars out. There are some relatively cheap ones that play quite well, but certainly the first act guitars and those types are not among them. Just check them out, even an inexperienced player should be able to tell which guitars are easier to press the strings down on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There was a pretty good distribution of instrument preferences between the violin,  viola, cello and bass. I was hoping the kiddo would pick something small, and she got her choice of violin. The thing is a hell of a site cheaper to rent than the bass and cello that's for sure.

cello is too common, viola has a much more limited solo work, but is essential in chamber music.

let us know how the violin lessons go, getting a solid sound out of one takes some time...  :D

percussion was a lot more flexible for band in high school, practically no rehearsal, one sheet of music for the score, 2,322 bar rests so i could do my homework or goof around during class.

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Who do you think I am Tiny Tim? I was expecting a skin flute reference. 

I got my first uke long before they became "trendy."  I love the thing.  There was a good stretch where I was playing that more than guitar.  It's the first instrument my son ever picked up.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I got my first uke long before they became "trendy."  I love the thing.  There was a good stretch where I was playing that more than guitar.  It's the first instrument my son ever picked up.

Basically i want to learn to play Jane Says......wife thinks I'm going through a mid life crisis which may be partially true.

24 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Basically i want to learn to play Jane Says......wife thinks I'm going through a mid life crisis which may be partially true.

G, A ...........................................................