UFA RB Dorsey Levens

He's certainly available.

PHI has two on their roster (Tapeh, Parry) besides Levens, and yesterday signed FB Jon Ritchie to a 1 year deal. IRRC, Levans had something like 400 yds last year. He's not a bum.

I edited this, having suffered a famous Win "exception" as I originally typed. :)

Thanks for an intelligent response, Labattblue. Do you have any other suggestions for a back-up? I can't think of any decent RBs.

299026[/snapback]

I think the Bills will address the backup RB situation through the draft. Shaud Williams is a nice player, but as a change of pace back. I doubt he could step in if WM goes down for an extended period of time. Look for the Bills to draft a RB with decent size somewhere between rounds 4-6.

Here's a suggestion that might be a little out of the ordinary. I've posted this once or twice before, would experimenting with Josh Reed as a back-up be insane? I ask this question in earnest. He was a RB before and during the draft he was touted as being awesome running after the catch. After 3 years I think he hasn't progressed at catching the ball. Maybe as a RB and one who could possibly catch short passes out of the backfield would be better suited for him. Just a thought, how about some shouts on this scenario.

With the TH trade looking like it's going to happen, would Levens be a good addition? If not, who should be the back-up to WM?

298991[/snapback]

unless you are john riggins you have nothing left in the tank at 35 as a RB.

Here's a suggestion that might be a little out of the ordinary. I've posted this once or twice before, would experimenting with Josh Reed as a back-up be insane? I ask this question in earnest. He was a RB before and during the draft he was touted as being awesome running after the catch. After 3 years I think he hasn't progressed at catching the ball. Maybe as a RB and one who could possibly catch short passes out of the backfield would be better suited for him. Just a thought, how about some shouts on this scenario.

299157[/snapback]

interesting..

Good point. But wouldn't he need to bulk up?

I think the Bills are in a little bind as far as back-ups go. The good news is that we will likely keep one fullback, and Joe Burns is on the roster not because he is great but because he is versatile. We can afford to keep 4 RBs and 1 FB because of Burns and in an emergency, Neufeld can play FB/HB for a half or a game. But neither Burns nor Shaud could back-up Willis on a full-time basis should Willis go down. So we need a 4th guy that isn't going to be dressed, unless he's a stand-out on ST. A rookie in the 3rd or 4th round could be that guy but I/we were hoping to fill a couple other minor holes with those picks.

If Buffalo is thinking of Hearst then I'd rather take my chances with Levens. If neither of these backs are serviceable due to age or any other reasons, then I have another suggestion. I looked at the RFAs and it might be a better idea just to use a mid to lower draft pick on one of them. Pittsburgh's RB Verron Haynes seems interesting and it would only cost a 5th rd pick. They may not match the offer. Just a thought.

299157[/snapback]

Very interesting thought and Im not sure if Reed would ever go for that, but I do not think his size 5'10, 208 is what he is listed at, would be an issue. Maybe he can re-invent himself, if he is up for the challenge.

299157[/snapback]

That was kicked around for some time, a year or so ago. No takers back then!

299157[/snapback]

I would question this move. If he was touted as being awesome running after the catch, it would have been primarily against defensive backs. As a running back he would be facing more linebackers and lineman. I still have faint hopes that he'll pan out as our 3rd reciever, but not much hope as a running back. Nice to see a different, innovative thought, though... thanks.

Why do we keep going back to needing veteran players/backups...This guy

is 35 years old...I would rather give the chance for Shaud Williams to

learn on the run rather than bring in a 35year old washed up player..

Our team needs to be young to challenge for a playoff spot, because they

bring in Speed....

Why do we keep going back to needing veteran players/backups...This guy

is 35 years old...I would rather give the chance for Shaud Williams to

learn on the run rather than bring in a 35year old washed up player..

Our team needs to be young to challenge for a playoff spot, because they

bring in Speed....

300098[/snapback]

I'm not saying Levens is the answer, but in the event of an injury to WM, I don't think Shaud could fill in as a full time RB. He's a nice change of pace/3rd down back...nothing more, nothing less.

If Buffalo is thinking of Hearst then I'd rather take my chances with Levens. If neither of these backs are serviceable due to age or any other reasons, then I have another suggestion. I looked at the RFAs and it might be a better idea just to use a mid to lower draft pick on one of them. Pittsburgh's RB Verron Haynes seems interesting and it would only cost a 5th rd pick. They may not match the offer. Just a thought.

299712[/snapback]

We already have a former Steeler in the roster, Dante Brown, MM stole him from Pittsburgh's PS. The guy is 6'1'' - 215 pounds and allegedly a fast back.

I remember Cowher tried to trade him last year because they had the Bus, Staley and Haynes already on the roster, but there weren't any suitors even after having good preseason games/stats.

I think he'll be given the chance to the backup along with Shaud and a guy drafted in the lower rounds or UFA.

Hey input on Brown Luisma, I didn't realize that's who that was. I knew that there were two RBs on Pittsburgh roster last year who had alot of upside. I lost track of Brown and didn't know really anything about him. If I'm not mistaken, Miami was sniffing around about him. After that I didn't hear anything more about him. Do you or anyone else know much about him?

I'm not saying Levens is the answer, but in the event of an injury to WM, I don't think Shaud could fill in as a full time RB.  He's a nice change of pace/3rd down back...nothing more, nothing less.

300103[/snapback]

What makes you feel comfortable that Levens will be able to handle full-time duties.

My point is at some point of time, you have to get your young players into the lineup to show what they are capable of. The 35+ guys cannot match these

guys in Speed and athletism, which is a big premium in the NFL.

Hey input on Brown Luisma, I didn't realize that's who that was. I knew that there were two RBs on Pittsburgh roster last year who had alot of upside. I lost track of Brown and didn't know really anything about him. If I'm not mistaken, Miami was sniffing around about him. After that I didn't hear anything more about him. Do you or anyone else know much about him?

300175[/snapback]

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20030...teele0815p2.asp

"He sees the hole, he hits it and he has good feel for setting up his blocks," said offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. "And his pass protection has been very good. Whether it's 7 on 7 or team period, he's been outstanding."

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Confere...his_Preview.htm

Best Offensive Player: Senior RB Dante Brown. He's big, fast and very powerful with the ability to bowl over defenders and the quickness to run away from them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20030...teele0815p2.asp

"He sees the hole, he hits it and he has good feel for setting up his blocks," said offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. "And his pass protection has been very good. Whether it's 7 on 7 or team period, he's been outstanding."

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Confere...his_Preview.htm

Best Offensive Player: Senior RB Dante Brown. He's big, fast and very powerful with the ability to bowl over defenders and the quickness to run away from them.

300235[/snapback]

That's an interesting article on Brown. No wonder the Bills/MM signed him last year. Not that I expect much out of him but guys do come out of nowhere like that, and he doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses.

What makes you feel comfortable that Levens will be able to handle full-time duties.

My point is at some point of time, you have to get your young players into the lineup to show what they are capable of.  The 35+ guys cannot match these

guys in Speed and athletism, which is a big premium in the NFL.

300204[/snapback]

I'm not comfortable with Levens. That's why I said he is probably not the answer as a #2 RB.

Hey, thanks alot Luisma for providing those links on Brown. That was real nice of ya, I really enjoyed the info. The articles only verify what I was hoping for. I really think a back-up isn't as important as one would think. I've posted before on what I would like to see for a back-up to Willis. This guy sounds exactly like what I was descibing. The best part is Mularkey knows this guy GOOD. It's not like MM was just smitten with him and didn't have any interaction with him. The release of Brown just came down to numbers. I remembered that at the time but I didn't know him or who he was. For me personelly, it's like a unexpected christmas gift. Oh yeah, I think that we can definitely expect our 1st pick to be restricted to just a couple of positions. CBs, C or a big time TE, which one do you all want first?