Scouts Inc. Todd McShay says Henry for Shelton

From ESPN Insider Chat...

Mike (Tuscon, AZ): What will Arizona do now that Kurt Warner has come -- RB?

Todd McShay: I'm hearing that the Cardinals will get a trade down with the Bills in the next few days. The Cards will send Shelton and their second round pick (44) to Buffalo in exchange for RB Travis Henry and their second round pick (55). If that's the case, cornerback will be the Cardinals top priority. It will likely be either Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones.

Todd McShay: I'm hearing that the Cardinals will get a trade down with the Bills in the next few days. The Cards will send Shelton and their second round pick (44) to Buffalo in exchange for RB Travis Henry and their second round pick (55). If that's the case, cornerback will be the Cardinals top priority. It will likely be either Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones.

If that happens then I give TD another pat on the back. Basically, he is calling Green's bluff, maintaining his opinion of Henry's value and once again getting us the best deal available.

Say what you want about him, TD is not the kind of guy a used-car saleman wants to see.

Todd McShay: I'm hearing that the Cardinals will get a trade down with the Bills in the next few days. The Cards will send Shelton and their second round pick (44) to Buffalo in exchange for RB Travis Henry and their second round pick (55).

296623[/snapback]

It just sounds to me like McShay's been reading old news items and hadn't seen Denny Green's recent statement that he's "not messing around with draft choices."

A lot of these so-called experts don't have the pipeline they portray to the public...they just surf the net, gathering news items and rumors like we do.

If this deal gets done I have a feeling tom donahoe is trading up in hopes that matt jones will still be there, or a cb like fabian washington, brandon browner, Corey Webster or maybe even one of the wr's a reggie brown who could be a eventual replacement for eric moulds imo. I don't see a swap of 2nds happeining for a linemen to be honest, when we'll still be able to get a quality center in the 3rd.

It would be kinda messed up if we took the CB that Arizona wanted. But then we could trade him for Henry, and make Henry sit on the bench all year. :lol:

296778[/snapback]

lol....Hey Denny !@#$ you

If this deal gets done I have a feeling tom donahoe is trading up in hopes that matt jones will still be there, or a cb like fabian washington, brandon browner, Cory Webster or maybe even one of the wr's a reggie bush who could be a eventual replacement for eric moulds imo.  I don't see a swap of 2nds happeining for a linemen to be honest, when we'll still be able to get a quality center in the 3rd.

296786[/snapback]

I think Mularkey and Clements probably are pretty much in love with Matt Jones...he just fits what they like to do so well....if we have Shelton, I wouldn't discount this happening.

Mort said in his chat last week that Jones would be the #1 QB on the board this year if it wasn't for a bad shoulder. He implied that the shoulder was rehabable..he could be our #3 QB plus a downfield weapon at the same time.

Did Shelton pass the Bills physical when he visted 4-5 weeks back ? A few folks here posted he may have a chronic ankle problem. ( where was that discussed ? couldn't find that info anywhere ? ) After reading several pro scouting reports, he seems to have pretty fair ability. Not great but pretty good. Good run blocker, fair pass blocker.

With Losman having a tendency to roll to his right, he won't be a sitting duck to a blindside hit from the left. If we just get a workmanlike effort from him on pass protection, we'll be fine. Seems like our best option, if he's healthy.

Man, TD would have raped the Cards if they pull this off.

296765[/snapback]

How so???? :lol: Henry is a proven NFL rusher and Shelton is a proven bust. It's amazing how with just a few bad outings in 2005 misguided fans here have downgraded this player to the point where this deal is considered pulling a fast one on Arizona. Go back and watch the tapes of 2002 and 2003 and tell me Shelton has that same ability, heart and determination as that of Travis Henry. Just what's your beef with Henry anyways?

He was our only weapon for those two years. How soon you forget. :lol:

How so???? :lol: Henry is a proven NFL rusher and Shelton is a proven bust. It's amazing how with just a few bad outings in 2005 misguided fans here have downgraded this player to the point where this deal is considered pulling a fast one on Arizona. Go back and watch the tapes of 2002 and 2003 and tell me Shelton has that same ability, heart and determination as that of Travis Henry. Just what's your beef with Henry anyways?

296865[/snapback]

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with Travis Henry as a player...what I meant was that considering the Bills would manage to pull out not only a player for player deal that would fill out O-Line out and get rid of a player who no longer need (not saying anything bad about him mind you, just saying we have a better option on roster), not to mention move up 10 spaces in the draft doing so, it would be a fantastic act of negotiation on TD's part. In the same way that some Henry haters need to reel themselves back, I'd say that the same can be said about some of Henry's supporters who jump on people for even the slightest jab at #20.

I think Mularkey and Clements probably are pretty much in love with Matt Jones...he just fits what they like to do so well....if we have Shelton, I wouldn't discount this happening. 

Mort said in his chat last week that Jones  would be the #1 QB on the board this year if it wasn't for a bad shoulder.  He implied that the shoulder was rehabable..he could be our #3 QB plus a downfield weapon at the same time.

296793[/snapback]

I'm not necessarily directing this at you, Joe, but the Mort reports are suspect in my book. His son, Alex, is a freshman QB at Arkansas (now a redshirt freshman). It seems Mort is a bit too close to the action on this one, as much as I love him.

I'm not necessarily directing this at you, Joe, but the Mort reports are suspect in my book.  His son, Alex, is a freshman QB at Arkansas (now a redshirt freshman).  It seems Mort is a bit too close to the action on this one, as much as I love him.

296896[/snapback]

No problem Orangeman-I guess I looked at it the opposite way--I knew Mort's kid was a frosh hog and figured Mort had seen Matt Jones play more, therefore had a more developed opinion than on other prospects.

You say tomato and I say toematoe :lol:

If this deal gets done I have a feeling tom donahoe is trading up in hopes that matt jones will still be there, or a cb like fabian washington, brandon browner, Corey Webster or maybe even one of the wr's a reggie brown who could be a eventual replacement for eric moulds imo.  I don't see a swap of 2nds happeining for a linemen to be honest, when we'll still be able to get a quality center in the 3rd.

296786[/snapback]

I would not taske Browner with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

He is too slow & would need to be moved to safety.

Maybe they could trade that pick back down and get an extra 3rd. Wouldn't that be wierd

296865[/snapback]

just because he was the only weapon, doesn't mean he was a good one.

those teams weren't the most potent offenses.

In Drews first year there were at least 4 games that Henry's fumbling cost us games. Bears vs bills, MB returned a fumble for a TD and cost us the game.

That wasn't the first or only time that happend that year.

Henry is a chump and a loser. Proven most by his poor attitude last year / this off season

296623[/snapback]

Don't know if anybody saw this, but the ESPN Insider rumor page has the following, with a date of April 6th, so it must be pretty fresh:

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=nfl

Apr. 6 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the long-rumored Travis Henry-for-L.J. Shelton trade will be consummated within the next few days.

The deal has been delayed over the Bills' insistence that draft picks are included. Buffalo has been asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round, which Arizona now appears willing to do. If the trade goes through, Buffalo will move up from pick No. 55 to No. 44.

The only thing that could hold up the deal now is the status of Henry's contract. He has one year left on his deal, and the Cardinals would want to sign him to a long-term contract before making a trade.

Also:

Apr. 6 - Left tackle L.J. Shelton appears to be on his way to Buffalo in exchange for running back Travis Henry. Scouts Inc. is hearing that the long-rumored trade will be consummated within the next few days.

Shelton, who fell out of favor with Cardinals coach Dennis Green last season, was granted permission to seek a trade in February. He has already undergone a physical by the Bills.

Just for that added push, as Sound N Fury has noted in his post, ESPN's Scouts' Inc. has reported exactly what SNF has, word for word! I am also a "Insider" and read the same release. If this does come down as stated, #44 becomes a VERY pivotal pick in this draft. It is concievable that the Bills could select Baas, McFadden or Spencer but also this spot could be a trade out spot to add multiple picks in the 2nd/3rd round from teams wanting Frye, Fason, Washington or Ruud! One definate team to trade up is the Green Bay Packers at this slot, in my opinion. Charlie Frye isn't 1st round material, however, he is right in this wheelhouse area to me! The Bills could drive a hard bargain and land #'s 51 and 58. Just a thought!

The problem with the Scouts report is the last line, saying the only snag to it is the Cards would want TH to sign a long term deal before completing the trade. That is precisely the opposite to what Denny Green has recently stated in public. I am hoping for the trade but this is just more hearsay.

just because he was the only weapon, doesn't mean he was a good one.

those teams weren't the most potent offenses. 

In Drews first year there were at least 4 games that Henry's fumbling cost us games.  Bears vs bills, MB returned a fumble for a TD and cost us the game. 

That wasn't the first or only time that happend that year.

Henry is a chump and a loser.  Proven most by his poor attitude last year / this off season

297110[/snapback]

The Bills beat the Bears in 2002. Henry scored on a swing pass in OT.

A few folks here posted he may have a chronic ankle problem. ( where was that discussed ? couldn't find that info anywhere ? )

296805[/snapback]

I agree the media isn't characterizing the ankle problems as "chronic", but old news reports lead me to agree with BadOl that that's a fair assessment. He's shown up on the Card injury list for ankle injuries (mostly sprains) while missing games and practice for the same in every one of his NFL seasons until '04. The question is did his surgery on the right ankle after the '03 season actually correct what had definitely been a chronic problem up to that time?

The feud with Green seems to be almost exclusively caused by Shelton's failure to meet Green's directive to show up in camp at 320 pounds last year. Shelton gets relief in some quarters due to his two surgeries in that off-season, but obviously Green doesn't feel the same way. I have a lot of trouble accepting Green's decision as merely setting an example for the team- Green has gone further out of his way than almost any contemporary coach in cutting talented players slack. Reading between the lines another reason Green might have given up on Shelton is that Shelton may be a much better run blocker than pass pro OT. There's plenty of game results that seem to suggest this, and Green's weight demand would be consistent with the same. If this speculation is accurate, Shelton would be a poor fit in the pure passing O Green wants to play while the fit in Buff might be very good. We've already kicked a LT with superior passing skills but limited value in the running game to the curb plus brought in a bruising OG who is a far better run blocker than pass blocker. Along with the QB change it's looking more and more like the Bill's intend to immediately utilize the mobility of Losman to mask the pass pro issues of the superior run blockers we're adding.

All in all, and the additon of Shelton may be the ultimate confirmation of this; it looks like the '05 Bills Offense will look a whole lot different than anything we've had in a long time- maybe ever. A power running team with threats at every backfield position using a combination of play action and moving pockets to force teams from cheating the line. The bad news is that much in that case would ride upon a kid just getting a feel for the speed of the big leagues. That's asking more of J.P. than Pitt put on Big Ben- onfield success at the offensive style we appear to be headed to would go far in elevating TD's reputation as a talent evaluator.