Don't take your dogs to the lake anymore

I've been reading about this algae that's been killing dogs.  I thought this was something more in the stagnant ponds and small lakes.

But one happened this weekend in one of the popular bigger lakes in Atlanta.  

Seriously, if you're a dog owner, I would be very hesitant to bring your dog to a lake right now.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/marietta-couple-shares-warning-on-toxic-algae-after-dog-dies-less-than-an-hour-after-visit-to-lake-allatoona/85-b8c44ca2-a390-4c4e-82a2-0e67ab29dd94

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've been reading about this algae that's been killing dogs.  I thought this was something more in the stagnant ponds and small lakes.

But one happened this weekend in one of the popular bigger lakes in Atlanta.  

Seriously, if you're a dog owner, I would be very hesitant to bring your dog to a lake right now.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/marietta-couple-shares-warning-on-toxic-algae-after-dog-dies-less-than-an-hour-after-visit-to-lake-allatoona/85-b8c44ca2-a390-4c4e-82a2-0e67ab29dd94

has this ***** always been happening?  Seems like this kind of stuff didn't happen years ago.

This is a sad, tragic story.  However, the dangers of fresh water swimming have been in the news a lot over the last few years, especially in the south.  I know that we "should" be able to bathe in fresh water ponds because we always did it with no problems but it's more dangerous today.  

It's likely a very unpopular opinion but I feel this lady should have known the risks.  

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No autopsy and the vet said the dog "probably" died from toxic algae.

On a lighter note, doggie mommy looks kinda hot.

I wouldn't pay for an autopsy on my dog.  They symptoms scream this algae as it's been killing dogs everywhere.  

I'm guessing the ton of rain we got in the 2 weeks prior and then mid 90's temps over the last week is a perfect recipe for this bacteria?

8 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

has this ***** always been happening?  Seems like this kind of stuff didn't happen years ago.

It takes time for this ***** to build up to the point that it affects the surface dwellers. Reservoirs like Lake Allatoona, in particular, do not drain fast enough. Ponds can quickly get really gross, too, due to their dimensions.

But the process of grossifying our bodies of water definitely started years ago.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I wouldn't pay for an autopsy on my dog.  They symptoms scream this algae as it's been killing dogs everywhere.  

I'm guessing the ton of rain we got in the 2 weeks prior and then mid 90's temps over the last week is a perfect recipe for this bacteria?

I wonder if it's just affecting dogs.  Can you go swimming there this afternoon for a couple hours and see how you feel?

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

This is a sad, tragic story.  However, the dangers of fresh water swimming have been in the news a lot over the last few years, especially in the south.  I know that we "should" be able to bathe in fresh water ponds because we always did it with no problems but it's more dangerous today.  

It's likely a very unpopular opinion but I feel this lady should have known the risks.  

I've never heard of this at this lake.  I live 15 minutes away and go there all the time.  This is a very big lake and it's definitely not stagnant waters.

I don't have a dog anymore but I probably wouldn't have hesitated in bringing my last one here.  Other smaller lakes and ponds...I wouldn't dare.  
This is pretty crazy to me....

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if it's just affecting dogs.  Can you go swimming there this afternoon for a couple hours and see how you feel?

I've swam in this lake probably 500 times in my life.  I was just in there a few weeks ago fishing, rope swings, jumping off the boat etc....

I live 15 minutes away...

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You know wonder about the proliferation of Canadian geese, crapping machines.  Locally check out South Park Lake or the lakes at Allegany SP.  Any water edges along the Niagara are just buried in geese stuff

Sad story.  Our dogs love swimming at the lake where we stay. There are areas of green algae but nothing "toxic" as far as I know. I guess we'll find out later this week.

Can we safely assume this "toxic" algae is directly related to the construction of locks and the stagnation of water in the Chicago, Illinois lock system??

Maybe someone here has a background in this type of analysis??

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Reservoirs can become very disgusting. People defecate in and pollute them. That ***** just sits there for long periods of time before finally draining out. Humans are gross.

yeah.

human crap is gross and sits there for too long.

fish crap is just fine though.

• Haha (+1) 1

Don't you people put fences around the reservoirs like they do at Cobbs Hill and Highland Park?

0046c36bff57c4748dc4a6735376925d.jpg

2d269243-b5b3-453a-b4af-07de2e8b8615-lar

City plans to cover Highland Park reservoir to meet EPA guidelines  

https://13wham.com/news/local/city-plans-to-cover-highland-park-reservoir-to-meet-epa-guidelines

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So I should stop peeing in the lake?

Always test the acidity of your urine first.

Keep those PH strips on hand.

If you don't have those, use a cup. Gauge the color. Smell it.... Taste it a little....

You can never be too careful.