Earth dodged a bullet

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Roughly ten times larger than the Chelyabinsk meteorite, by way of comparison.  About the size of what created Barringer Crater.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This is exactly why we need to have Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck at the ready at all times.  What’s Liv Tyler looking like these days?  We might need her too.

was never looking all the great to start with!

City killer they call this one Can they somehow get Willis and Affleck to point it to Boston?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:35 PM, Dante said:

I'm a scared!! Thank god NASA is here for the heads up! Good job $58 million a day budget paying off.

We are only tracking about 5% or so the potential threat asteroids. That doesn't include any wild cards that decide to drop in. Tiny dark objects moving at tens of thousands mph. You're expecting perfection?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Even if we know it is coming, what are we supposed to do about it?  Duck and cover?

No equipment exists to nudge it off course, and there may not be enough advance warning anyway. 

Just huddle up under your little school desk.....you’ll be fine! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Just huddle up under your little school desk.....you’ll be fine! 

In fact, NASA's plan to counter an asteroid strike is to block it by launching thousands of surplus '60s school desks in to orbit.

Their backup plan is to land Bryce Harper on it, because Harper can't hit ***** anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

In fact, NASA's plan to counter an asteroid strike is to block it by launching thousands of surplus '60s school desks in to orbit.

Their backup plan is to land Bryce Harper on it, because Harper can't hit ***** anymore.

I’m sure there is a one iron somewhere on the contingency plan. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m sure there is a one iron somewhere on the contingency plan. 

That's the backup-backup plan: identify the point of impact, and plant a 1-iron there.  Because not even God can hit a 1-iron.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We are only tracking about 5% of so the potential threat asteroids. That doesn't include any wild cards that decide to drop in. Tiny dark objects moving at tens of thousands mph. You're expecting perfection?

I don't expect anything. Real that is.