Could Big Mike be cut?

BOSS

If we get Shelton and with Peters maybe coming along could Mike Williams be cut? Ffrom what I here he has not showed up for workouts and he has an EXTREMELY LARGE CONTRACT meaning $9,000,000 + . This would be a HUGE salary cap savings.

Is it true that Williams is not showing up for offseason workouts? For the amount the Bills are paying him, he should be there. We can't go through the same thing with him this year as we did last year. He needs to be in Buffalo working out and staying trim.

Is it true that Williams is not showing up for offseason workouts?  For the amount the Bills are paying him, he should be there.  We can't go through the same thing with him this year as we did last year.  He needs to be in Buffalo working out and staying trim.

294588[/snapback]

For the money Mike Williams is being paid, he simply has to do what is stipulated in his contract. If his contract doesn't call for him to show up for offseason workouts, then he is not obligated to do so. To suggest he should be there because of his exhorbitant salary is a nice thought, but really means nothing.

Is it true that Williams is not showing up for offseason workouts?  For the amount the Bills are paying him, he should be there.  We can't go through the same thing with him this year as we did last year.  He needs to be in Buffalo working out and staying trim.

294588[/snapback]

Agreed, he makes way to much to have a good second half of the season.

Offseason workouts at the Ralph are optional, but it's considered by the team to be a measure of commitment to the team. It's not supposed to but everyone knows that the optional stuff that players do affects their status with the team.

If he wasn't there, don't you think the media would have latched on and exploited the story by now? Also the Bills actually feel he's a pretty good player, unlike some fans.

294636[/snapback]

I think that your post represents the problem. Assuming you are right and the Bills do think that he is a "pretty good player," this, imo, is FAR less than enough production from perhaps the highest paid RT in the NFL history (please note the word "perhaps").

Imo, he played well in the Arizona game and most games after that, except the Pitt debacle, in which CV was hurt. This, after almost 2 1/2 years of average to sub-par play. Sorry, I expect more from a 9.17 million dollare per season #4 pick, and I believe that you join me in this.

Despite all this, IF Big Mike has a break out season this year, I would be satisfied. Admittedly, I expect pro bowl greatness for a player such as MW. What frustrates me is that I am thinking him to be capable of such greatness if he cared just a little bit more.

In any event, to the original poster, imo it would cost far too much cap space to cut him (accelerated signing bonus) before 6/1/06.

While most of us would love to see MW become JMac's adopted son and follow him around sucking up nuggets of knowledge and being put through impromptu OL workouts with him while their waiting in in line for movie tickets (PG movies at worst of course) this expectation is a little bit much.

Right now the Bills have begun voluntary in-house workout sessions at the Ralph. While the attendance of folks like JP at these workouts in the snows of Buffalo rather than have him hanging out on the beach at home in Venice, CA with all the homecooking from Mom and all the girlfriends he can eat is a great thing. It does jump the gun a little bit to conclude that the non-attendance at these sessions by a player is a dead certain sign of disinterest on his part of that we are doomed.

Many players show up (and we appreciate it when they do), but many players also do not attend and they do perfectly fine, if they are using this time on their own to be a professional and to be ready to perform when they do show up.

Nevertheless, there is another set of "voluntary" organized work which beings after the draft and it was these sessions that MW was "excused" (it's voluntary according to the contract so you technically do not need an excuse) because he had talkied to the coaches ahead of time and had a legitimate reason (a death in his family) not to attend. As best as I can tell the appropriate condolences were given, kind words were spoken and MW told the coaches he would workout on his own and catch up with the other players in terms of the missed co-ordination improvement that comes with these "voluntary" organized practices.

If MW were to miss the organized "voluntary" practices right after the draft then I think his teammates and the region would be totally right in getting pissed at him. While a player can be just as diligent on his own and workout and lift weights on his own the same amount that he does in the Bills workout sessions, he will actually miss some important work and opportunites that one cannot replicate on your own if he misses minicamp.

Last year, MW committed the sin of not only missing a first valuable opportunity wor workout with Villarial and other new arrivals by missing the camp, but he made it worse by not even being diligent on his own and when he finally reported to the mandatory camp he was out of shape and not ready to go.

JMac and his teammates adjusted the boys attitude a bit and unfortunately in his rush to get back into shape he hurt himself and thus cost himself even more practice and chemistry building time with his linemates.

The good news (and actually real world testimony of how good an athlete MW really is), he did finally get his act together and become recognized by his peers as one of the best performing linemen on the Bills (he was awarded a gameball for one performance).

The sad episode last year definitely has MW on the watch list. However, it seems a bot ooutlandish to conclude that he is a bust based simply on his not coming to Buffalo to formaslly participate in organized workouts.

If he does not show up for the immediate post draft voluntary workouts then legitimately wail away, but it is too early to make any rationale declarations right now.

>>>>>The good news (and actually real world testimony of how good an athlete MW really is), he did finally get his act together and become recognized by his peers as one of the best performing linemen on the Bills (he was awarded a gameball for one performance).<<<<<

That was the Arizona game, and he was fully dominant.

Btw, very good post, as usual.

If we get Shelton and with Peters maybe coming along could Mike Williams be cut? Ffrom what I here he has not showed up for workouts and he has an EXTREMELY LARGE CONTRACT meaning $9,000,000 + . This would be a HUGE salary cap savings.

294576[/snapback]

nah

I think that your post represents the problem. Assuming you are right and the Bills do think that he is a "pretty good player," this, imo, is FAR less than enough production from perhaps the highest paid RT in the NFL history (please note the word "perhaps").

Imo, he played well in the Arizona game and most games after that, except the Pitt debacle, in which CV was hurt. This, after almost 2 1/2 years of average to sub-par play. Sorry, I expect more from a 9.17 million dollare per season #4 pick, and I believe that you join me in this.

Despite all this, IF Big Mike has a break out season this year, I would be satisfied. Admittedly, I expect pro bowl greatness for a player such as MW. What frustrates me is that I am thinking him to be capable of such greatness if he cared just a little bit more.

In any event, to the original poster, imo it would cost far too much cap space to cut him (accelerated signing bonus) before 6/1/06.

294704[/snapback]

I'm in agreement with you about him and his potential overall for sure. What I am not in agreement with is someone who's "logic" tells him that we need to cut a guy who is playing well (given not at a pro bowl level) and who's growth only began last season under a real OL coach, high salary or not. What I'm also questioning is what makes people think that he did not attend. Nothing concrete has been put before us as of yet. And I think the media would be all over it if he wasn't there because they know basically how most fans feel, and what generates a story.

If MW were a free agent on another team, there is no way TD would offer him what he is currently making to come to the Bills. We are paying way too much for his production, or lack thereof. As the #4 pick overall, he's almost been a bust. He definitely improved last year but he's not the dominating player we expected. We aren't going to cut him any time soon nor would I want to. He just hasn't live up to the expectations of a #4 overall pick.

RTB

While the attendance of folks like JP at these workouts in the snows of Buffalo rather than have him hanging out on the beach at home in Venice, CA with all the homecooking from Mom and all the girlfriends he can eat is a great thing.

:)

While most of us would love to see MW become JMac's adopted son and follow him around sucking up nuggets of knowledge and being put through impromptu OL workouts with him while their waiting in in line for movie tickets (PG movies at worst of course) this expectation is a little bit much.

Right now the Bills have begun voluntary in-house workout sessions at the Ralph.  While the attendance of folks like JP at these workouts in the snows of Buffalo rather than have him hanging out on the beach at home in Venice, CA with all the homecooking from Mom and all the girlfriends he can eat is a great thing. It does jump the gun a little bit to conclude that the non-attendance at these sessions by a player is a dead certain sign of disinterest on his part of that we are doomed.

Many players show up (and we appreciate it when they do), but many players also do not attend and they do perfectly fine, if they are using this time on their own to be a professional and to be ready to perform when they do show up.

Nevertheless, there is another set of "voluntary" organized work which beings after the draft and it was these sessions that MW was "excused" (it's voluntary according to the contract so you technically do not need an excuse) because he had talkied to the coaches ahead of time and had a legitimate reason (a death in his family) not to attend. As best as I can tell the appropriate condolences were given, kind words were spoken and MW told the coaches he would workout on his own and catch up with the other players in terms of the missed co-ordination improvement that comes with these "voluntary" organized practices.

If MW were to miss the organized "voluntary" practices right after the draft then I think his teammates and the region would be totally right in getting pissed at him. While a player can be just as diligent on his own and workout and lift weights on his own the same amount that he does in the Bills workout sessions, he will actually miss some important work and opportunites that one cannot replicate on your own if he misses minicamp.

Last year, MW committed the sin of not only missing a first valuable opportunity wor workout with Villarial and other new arrivals by missing the camp, but he made it worse by not even being diligent on his own and when he finally reported to the mandatory camp he was out of shape and not ready to go.

JMac and his teammates adjusted the boys attitude a bit and unfortunately in his rush to get back into shape he hurt himself and thus cost himself even more practice and chemistry building time with his linemates.

The good news (and actually real world testimony of how good an athlete MW really is), he did finally get his act together and become recognized by his peers as one of the best performing linemen on the Bills (he was awarded a gameball for one performance).

The sad episode last year definitely has MW on the watch list.  However, it seems a bot ooutlandish to conclude that he is a bust based simply on his not coming to Buffalo to formaslly participate in organized workouts.

If he does not show up for the immediate post draft voluntary workouts then legitimately wail away, but it is too early to make any rationale declarations right now.

294720[/snapback]

It's never too early to begoin preparing for next year.

As with Drew, players that are paid in excess in of $9 mil per year should be in Buffalo full time attempting to do everything in their power to earn the big paycheck, especially when they really need to improve to justify that big paycheck.