The day the Sabres’ futility and New Era Stadium collided...

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Well Ruff lasted just 4 seasons in Dallas and is an assistant on the Rangers now while Regier still hasn't been hired since stepping away in 2016.  I don't think going back to the past is the answer.  And many of his coaching hires have been lauded.

And most of those HC's have been on the Sabres as he's on just his 2nd HC hire with the Bills.  I'm more interested in the Bills and am glad that in just his 3rd full season of ownership the team went back to the playoffs.  Hopefully the Sabres return soon.

I don't think they can go back in time either.

Which hires have been lauded?  The Sabres struggled to fill their coach spot this off season.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think they can go back in time either.

Which hires have been lauded?  The Sabres struggled to fill their coach spot this off season.

You know what I meant.  Ruff and Regier had run their course.

I heard good things about Bylsma and Housley.   And no top coach wants to coach in Buffalo.  Pegulas got money to burn and they still don't want to come.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

You know what I meant.  Ruff and Regier had run their course.

I heard good things about Bylsma and Housley.   And no top coach wants to coach in Buffalo.  Pegulas got money to burn and they still don't want to come.

Well there you go.....

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah.  Like I said, it's Buffalo.  Always has been, always will be.

Say what?  In the previous 36 years before Petula's first full year as owner, the Sabres made the playoffs 29 of those years,  including 4 of the 6 seasons before he showed up with the money bags.

As you said, despite all the money, he struggles to recruit FO and Coaching even now.  People are passing on Pegula.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Say what?  In the previous 36 years before Petula's first full year as owner, the Sabres made the playoffs 29 of those years,  including 4 of the 6 seasons before he showed up with the money bags.

As you said, despite all the money, he struggles to recruit FO and Coaching even now.  People are passing on Pegula.

That is it.

It isn't "Buffalo".  They have zero credibility right now.  Players have been writing their tickets out of here, some experienced a re-birth elsewhere.  It is a poison well, stuck in neutral in the bottom 1-8 teams in the NHL.  

It will never hold the same advantages as the Rangers, Vegas, or the Florida teams for recruitment... but it can certainly be a destination if/when winning happens and it is a place where coaches and players can thrive, make the most of their careers and earning potential.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, Mr. WEO said:

If Pegula didn't also own the Bills, Sabres fans would be roundly ripping his ownership at this point.  It's been a disaster.

We're still ripping his ownership....at least I am....remember when Buffalo fans wanted a rich owner who spends money?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Say what, what?  Buffalo struggles to get coaches because it's Buffalo.  Everyone knows this.  Old cheap owner, younger rich owner...same result.

And why do you care about what happens with the Sabres anyway?  You think hockey is a joke.  Meanwhile the Bills made the playoffs in just his 3rd season of ownership.  What's the WEO dartboard reason for disliking him?

2 hours ago, nucci said:

We're still ripping his ownership....at least I am....remember when Buffalo fans wanted a rich owner who spends money?

What are you ripping on him for, as far as Bills ownership is concerned?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not so much Bills anymore as he may have lucked in to Beane and McDermott but he still made mistakes with the Bills...

32 minutes ago, nucci said:

Not so much Bills anymore as he may have lucked in to Beane and McDermott but he still made mistakes with the Bills...

Rex was admittedly a mistake.  But thankfully a short-lived one. 

And yeah, getting lucky is what we have to hope for.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Rex was admittedly a mistake.  But thankfully a short-lived one. 

And yeah, getting lucky is what we have to hope for.

We could use some good luck around here

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Say what, what?  Buffalo struggles to get coaches because it's Buffalo.  Everyone knows this.  Old cheap owner, younger rich owner...same result.

And why do you care about what happens with the Sabres anyway?  You think hockey is a joke.  Meanwhile the Bills made the playoffs in just his 3rd season of ownership.  What's the WEO dartboard reason for disliking him?

Sabres have a strong, long tradition of winning and winning coaches.  None of that since Pegula bought the team.  So, you're wrong.

Hockey is not joke.  But the NFL has become a bit of one over the decades.  There's no getting around that.  Southern and Western expansion to places where regular people never played hockey or even been on skates have rendered it nearly insignificant as a nationally interesting league.

Sabres have a strong, long tradition of winning and winning coaches.  None of that since Pegula bought the team.  So, you're wrong.

Hockey is not joke.  But the NFL has become a bit of one over the decades.  There's no getting around that.  Southern and Western expansion to places where regular people never played hockey or even been on skates have rendered it nearly insignificant as a nationally interesting league.

Where are LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa and Las Vegas located? Hockey never really was much of a national sport in the US but in the local and regional markets they were doing well. Even prior to the expansions hockey never garnered national attention. The original teams such as Detroit, Chicago and New York teams the teams were well supported with strong fan bases in their regions. 

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Where are LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa and Las Vegas located? Hockey never really was much of a national sport in the US but in the local and regional markets they were doing well. Even prior to the expansions hockey never garnered national attention. The original teams such as Detroit, Chicago and New York teams the teams were well supported with strong fan bases in their regions. 

They are where I said they were above.  So you agree, if hockey was never naturally a sport of national interest to begin with,  expanding to where the sport was alien until the NHL came to town diluted its importance even further.

In the past 20 years, the Stanley Cup finals have averaged between 3 and 5 million viewers.  the top 3 and 6 of the top 10 Cup games ever watched were all before 1975.  They pulled in 8-12 million viewers for those games.  

They are where I said they were above.  So you agree, if hockey was never naturally a sport of national interest to begin with,  expanding to where the sport was alien until the NHL came to town diluted its importance even further.

In the past 20 years, the Stanley Cup finals have averaged between 3 and 5 million viewers.  the top 3 and 6 of the top 10 Cup games ever watched were all before 1975.  They pulled in 8-12 million viewers for those games.  

I disagree with you that the added mostly warm weather markets diluted the importance of the national market. Hockey has been, and is, for the most part a regional sport. That hasn't changed. I'm not arguing otherwise. However,  adding markets such as the teams in LA and Dallas in Texas, although still regional markets, did expand the following for the game. The cup finals might have a limited following depending on the teams involved in the finals but if you add in the expanded playoff participants because of the expansion more people are following the game through their regional media outlets. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, MJS said:

To me I don't really care if owners have a clue about football or hockey. Their job is to provide money. They need to surround themselves with people who DO know what they are doing and can advise in all hockey/football related decisions.

I think you hear a lot of dumb stuff come out of the mouth of owners from lots of sports. Their job isn't to know the sport, it's to write the checks.

PS: I'm pretty sure there is nothing he could say to impress Sabres fans. Nothing he could say would distract from the failures on the ice.

The problem is because they dont have a clue they obviously cant, and have yet to, hire good people around them who know what they're doing. They hired Rex Ryan based off of an interview where he probably just kept naming old Bills players. "Lookie lookie, here comes Cookie."

What good is having a big dick if you dont know how to use it?

Edited by Gigs
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is just a cop out.

The Sabres have struggled because they've made ***** decisions.... it has nothing to do with it being "because it's Buffalo" and all about an ownership group whom don't know who to hire or how to go about it. 

The discussion was about getting good coaches.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I disagree with you that the added mostly warm weather markets diluted the importance of the national market. Hockey has been, and is, for the most part a regional sport. That hasn't changed. I'm not arguing otherwise. However,  adding markets such as the teams in LA and Dallas in Texas, although still regional markets, did expand the following for the game. The cup finals might have a limited following depending on the teams involved in the finals but if you add in the expanded playoff participants because of the expansion more people are following the game through their regional media outlets. 

They really aren’t. 

Also,  every market watches the SB.  Pretty much every market watches the NBA finals because every market is filled with fans who grew up watching and/or playing those sports.  

All the larger early NHL cities has expats all over the country.  Adding all of those other cities added a few local fans but resulted in lower national interest in the championship,  which is a major indicator of overall interest.  

And the playoff ratings were minuscule (and still the best in years lol) with an average of less than 800,000 viewers per game for 45 first round games.  That’s a fraction of the viewers the NHL would get, nationwide,  decades ago.  

It’s diluted to irrelevance.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, Doc said:

From what I recall, he just kept the same people but fired the scouting department.

With Bills Coach McD did that and then resigned 3 of them.  Pegula cannot take blame for that but if you want to pretend otherwise go ahead.

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

With Bills Coach McD did that and then resigned 3 of them.  Pegula cannot take blame for that but if you want to pretend otherwise go ahead.

Huh? 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It has been a slow cook, but hockey has taken strong root in "warm" markets

The 1st overall pick 3 years ago is from srizona.  This year, orlando.  Another 1st rounder from anaheim, and the sabres' 2nd first rounder is from irvine, ca.  San Jose has the country's  largest mens hockey league.  The usdp has reached an unprecedented level.  

There has been some good fanbases created out of thin air.  Some failures too.  

The nhl's revenue has increased at a steady rate, and the league is very healthy since the salaries have been tied to revenue.  

With that said, the nhl will never be more than the 4th or 3rd north american pro sport (i feel like baseball (and i like baseball) in 50 years will go the way of horse racing and boxing.).  People arent going to stanley cup watch parties, joining pools that are almost socially mandatory, and playing in 4 fantasy hockey leagues at once.  The sport is just not accessible to the masses.  Players are boring (basically every interview is a pre scripted cliche).  

The nhl also suffers from a very unimaginative board of governors and commissioner.  Instead of trying to be like the other sports with stupid and couter productive coaches challenges and such (we need more scoring, but hang on for this 10 minute review to make sure his hangnail wasnt partially past the blue line when they entered the zone a minute earlier), they need to step out and make the nhl unique.  No commercial breaks in-period.  The nfl and mlb would kill to have the overseas appeal and opportunity the nhl has.... but the nhl does nothing significant.

Edited by May Day 10

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They really aren’t. 

Also,  every market watches the SB.  Pretty much every market watches the NBA finals because every market is filled with fans who grew up watching and/or playing those sports.  

All the larger early NHL cities has expats all over the country.  Adding all of those other cities added a few local fans but resulted in lower national interest in the championship,  which is a major indicator of overall interest.  

And the playoff ratings were minuscule (and still the best in years lol) with an average of less than 800,000 viewers per game for 45 first round games.  That’s a fraction of the viewers the NHL would get, nationwide,  decades ago.  

It’s diluted to irrelevance.

We are not going to agree on this issue. My central point is that the hockey market in the USA is a different market than other pro sports in the USA. It always has been that way going back to the pre-expansion era. In this particular sport the market was never a national market. It was a regional market. Going back prior to expansion cities such as Detroit and Chicago were terrific regional markets but it never really spilled into the national market. The Rangers in NY were very popular with an avid fan base but that success never grew into a national product. That is the major distinction between this sport and the other pro sports such as basketball and football. In many ways baseball has become a regional sports market rather than a national market. It's just a different business model than the national model that you are referring to. Again, hockey has never been a national sport with a national media structure like some of the other mainstay American sports. 

That is what ScottLaw was also referring too 

He's talking overall.  Again top coaches don't want to coach in Buffalo.  When Ralph was alive, the reasons given were that it was because he was cheap, didn't value coaches, was old, etc.  With Pegula it's the opposite, but nothing has changed WRT attracting top coaches.  And if the Pegulas were so inept at sports management, the Bills wouldn't have made the playoffs in just their 3rd full season of ownership.

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We are not going to agree on this issue. My central point is that the hockey market in the USA is a different market than other pro sports in the USA. It always has been that way going back to the pre-expansion era. In this particular sport the market was never a national market. It was a regional market. Going back prior to expansion cities such as Detroit and Chicago were terrific regional markets but it never really spilled into the national market. The Rangers in NY were very popular with an avid fan base but that success never grew into a national product. That is the major distinction between this sport and the other pro sports such as basketball and football. In many ways baseball has become a regional sports market rather than a national market. It's just a different business model than the national model that you are referring to. Again, hockey has never been a national sport with a national media structure like some of the other mainstay American sports. 

National expansion diluted all viewership, even regional.  The ratings tell us this.  More Americans (whenever they live) watched before the expansion. 

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's talking overall.  Again top coaches don't want to coach in Buffalo.  When Ralph was alive, the reasons given were that it was because he was cheap, didn't value coaches, was old, etc.  With Pegula it's the opposite, but nothing has changed WRT attracting top coaches.  And if the Pegulas were so inept at sports management, the Bills wouldn't have made the playoffs in just their 3rd full season of ownership.

I’m sure he meant coaching as well.  One significant measure of coaching success and quality is playoff seasons.  The Sabres history is strong for playoff appearances.  That ended after  Pegula bought the team.  Multiple NHL coaching positions were filled this off season before Buffalo’s.  They hired a soccer coach who was fired from his last NHL coaching job after 1 season....by Skype.

Your position makes no sense. 

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

it isnt about either.

Much of it is about organizational credibility, and the ability to have control and success.  No Coach or quality GM would come here with Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon making key decisions, and cash to the cap philosophy.

Same thing is with the Sabres.  They have not had good management and little credibility.  Last year, if Pegula decided to step further from the team, hand off the steering wheel with full autonomy, I have little doubt they could have landed Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz.  

Coaches and top execs don't want to come somewhere that obsesses about "collaboration" (AKA letting the owners play with the toys).  You are going to get inexperienced guys and/or guys happy to get an opportunity

I’m sure he meant coaching as well.  One significant measure of coaching success and quality is playoff seasons.  The Sabres history is strong for playoff appearances.  That ended after  Pegula bought the team.  Multiple NHL coaching positions were filled this off season before Buffalo’s.  They hired a soccer coach who was fired from his last NHL coaching job after 1 season....by Skype.

Your position makes no sense. 

True it makes absolutely no sense that coaches, for whatever reason (market, weather, wives/family) wouldn't want to be in Buffalo versus a bigger market.  Because players, and the vast majority of the general public, don't feel the same way.  Yeah, okay. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

it isnt about either.

Much of it is about organizational credibility, and the ability to have control and success.  No Coach or quality GM would come here with Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon making key decisions, and cash to the cap philosophy.

Same thing is with the Sabres.  They have not had good management and little credibility.  Last year, if Pegula decided to step further from the team, hand off the steering wheel with full autonomy, I have little doubt they could have landed Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz.  

Coaches and top execs don't want to come somewhere that obsesses about "collaboration" (AKA letting the owners play with the toys).  You are going to get inexperienced guys and/or guys happy to get an opportunity

Lamoriello and Trotz were never coming here.    But I’d like to hear the takes of other Sabre’s fans on that one. And Snyder meddles all the time and still gets name coaches.

Edited by Doc

The Islanders, mind you, have/had a history of being the biggest joke in the NHL for nearly a quarter century with clown shoe owners, Mike Milbury trading all star teams away, Garth Snow, playing some/all in that awful venue in Brooklyn, etc.  They were in the process of likely losing a top-5 NHL player.  

Edited by May Day 10

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree Lamoriello wasn't, but what makes you say Trotz was not?

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Islanders, mind you, have/had a history of being the biggest joke in the NHL for nearly a quarter century with clown shoe owners, Mike Milbury trading all star teams away, Garth Snow, playing some/all in that awful venue in Brooklyn, etc.  They were in the process of likely losing a top-5 NHL player.  

I agree the Islanders have had clown show owners.  Yet Trotz chose them over Buffalo.  Because they're a large market. 

Its because they have a new owner, who gave lamoriello the clout to do anything he wants to fix the organization.  Lamoriello would never agree to manage a team where the owner helps scout and interview potential players.

The Islanders arent a desirable destination.  Very poor arena and facilities.  

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree the Islanders have had clown show owners.  Yet Trotz chose them over Buffalo.  Because they're a large market. 

When did Trotz choose them over Buffalo? He was steadily employed when we had every job opening since Lindy left and we didn’t have the job opening when he became available before last season. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

True it makes absolutely no sense that coaches, for whatever reason (market, weather, wives/family) wouldn't want to be in Buffalo versus a bigger market.  Because players, and the vast majority of the general public, don't feel the same way.  Yeah, okay. 

Lamoriello and Trotz were never coming here.    But I’d like to hear the takes of other Sabre’s fans on that one. And Snyder meddles all the time and still gets name coaches.

Buffalo Sabres haven’t had that problem for most of their history....

To now claim that Buffalo has always struggled to get good coaches to the Sabres is odd.

Edited by Mr. WEO

19 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Its because they have a new owner, who gave lamoriello the clout to do anything he wants to fix the organization.  Lamoriello would never agree to manage a team where the owner helps scout and interview potential players.

The Islanders arent a desirable destination.  Very poor arena and facilities.  

There are levels of desirable.  Sure they may be the Jets to the Rangers' Giants, but they're still NYC.

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

When did Trotz choose them over Buffalo? He was steadily employed when we had every job opening since Lindy left and we didn’t have the job opening when he became available before last season. 

May Day said the Sabres could have had Lamoriello and Trotz this past season, if not for Pegula.  I can only assume he thinks that Lamoriello would have fired Housley immediately after becoming GM and gone after Trotz. 

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Buffalo Sabres haven’t had that problem for most of their history....

To now claim that Buffalo has always struggled to get good coaches to the Sabres is odd.

I never said they didn't find good coaches: I said they never were a top destination for coaches.  Prior to Pegula they almost always ended up hiring 1st time head coaches.  Now I've never paid enough attention to be able to tell you if they struggled in their coaching searches and had to settle for them, but I suspect they did.  And the guys under Pegula who had previous head coaching experience, Nolan and especially Bylsma (who had a winning record and won a SC with Pgh) were guys who were hailed as good hires, and yet they still failed.

Edited by Doc

12 hours ago, Doc said:

There are levels of desirable.  Sure they may be the Jets to the Rangers' Giants, but they're still NYC.

May Day said the Sabres could have had Lamoriello and Trotz this past season, if not for Pegula.  I can only assume he thinks that Lamoriello would have fired Housley immediately after becoming GM and gone after Trotz. 

I never said they didn't find good coaches: I said they never were a top destination for coaches.  Prior to Pegula they almost always ended up hiring 1st time head coaches.  Now I've never paid enough attention to be able to tell you if they struggled in their coaching searches and had to settle for them, but I suspect they did.  And the guys under Pegula who had previous head coaching experience, Nolan and especially Bylsma (who had a winning record and won a SC with Pgh) were guys who were hailed as good hires, and yet they still failed.

Respectfully, May Day is just offering conjecture. There is simply no basis at all, NONE, to this conjecture. Any team in the league, ANY team, could have had Lamoriello and Trotz if they were willing to create those openings and meet their demands. And the Sabres would have been LESS likely candidates since JBotts and Housley were only one year into their tenures. 

23 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree Lamoriello wasn't, but what makes you say Trotz was not?

The job wasn’t open at the time Trotz became available. That’s why not. 

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The job wasn’t open at the time Trotz became available. That’s why not. 

...STILL amazes me how long Garth Snow(job) held on as GM for so long......the Isles' days of Potvin, Arbour, Chico, Gilles, Bossey, etc are a distant memory...remember watching an Isles/Flyers game back in the 70's in college....Young & Chadwick were the announce team.......Schultz decided he would drop 'em versus Gilles......Gilles landed the FIRST and ONLY punch.....Schultz was out cold...a thing of beauty..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Respectfully, May Day is just offering conjecture. There is simply no basis at all, NONE, to this conjecture. Any team in the league, ANY team, could have had Lamoriello and Trotz if they were willing to create those openings and meet their demands. And the Sabres would have been LESS likely candidates since JBotts and Housley were only one year into their tenures. 

Yes.  They were not in on lamoriello, because they had botterill and housley.  Yay 

It wouldnt have been illegal to make a change, but i doubt the sabres entertained it.  I dont believe they would entertain it even if the position is available because lamoriello would not welcome input from people (pegulas) on personnel matters and coach selections.  Lamoriello wouldnt accept a job where he didnt have control (and probably why he bailed on toronto).

If its my team, and lou is available, i clear the deck for the opportunity to bring him.

Edited by May Day 10

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Yes.  They were not in on lamoriello, because they had botterill and housley.  Yay 

It wouldnt have been illegal to make a change, but i doubt the sabres entertained it.  I dont believe they would entertain it even if the position is available because lamoriello would not welcome input from people (pegulas) on personnel matters and coach selections.  Lamoriello wouldnt accept a job where he didnt have control (and probably why he bailed on toronto).

Look, this forum is all about conjecture at times and it can be fun to engage in. 

In this particular case, I was merely responding to a poster that said Trotz chose the Islanders over the Sabres, which has no basis in fact. None. So while I can enjoy conjecture as well as the next guy, I tend to draw the line when it’s used to support an untruth.