Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

The attached WGR Instigator link is about 20 minutes long. Chris Taylor, the Amerks coach, talks about players such as Mittelstadt, Lazar and Tage from a development standpoint. His comments about Mittelstadt were encouraging. He laments the necessity to shut down the league because he felt that not only did those cancelled games hurt the development of players but also hurt the franchise's ability to know exactly where the players were in their development status to make the NHL jump. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-07-amerks-head-coach-chris-taylor

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached WGR Instigator link is about 20 minutes long. Chris Taylor, the Amerks coach, talks about players such as Mittelstadt, Lazar and Tage from a development standpoint. His comments about Mittelstadt were encouraging. He laments the necessity to shut down the league because he felt that not only did those cancelled games hurt the development of players but also hurt the franchise's ability to know exactly where the players were in their development status to make the NHL jump. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-07-amerks-head-coach-chris-taylor

Any quick summary on the comments about Tage?  I have a hard time picturing there being much to that conversation since he basically lost the entire season.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Any quick summary on the comments about Tage?  I have a hard time picturing there being much to that conversation since he basically lost the entire season.

What Chris Taylor did when he coached him at the end of last year and this year before the call up was to put him in situations that he was unaccustomed to in order to make him a more all around player and more adaptable to the NHL game. Instead of playing him on the perimeter and having him shoot from the outside he emphasized playing him around the net to be in position to get the dirty goals where the majority of NHL goals are scored. He felt that he had gotten stronger and was more ready than before because of his physical development.

There is no question that Tage has hockey skills that includes his skating and shooting. But those stylish/finesse skills by a tall and lean player don't necessarily translate to the more rugged and muscular NHL game. What it comes down to is that he needs to continue to work on thickening his body in order to be able to utilize his skills. 

Edited by JohnC

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

This article was written by Dan Mennella and taken off a WGR site. It notes that the commissioner acknowledges that the season and playoffs are in serious jeopardy. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/radiocom/nhl-commissioner-admits-season-could-be-cancelled

As we’ve discussed, i think it’s most likely only a matter of time until it’s cancelled. I’d love to believe it’ll start again, but I just don’t see it.

Right now I’m not even 100% sure next season will be able to start on time.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

This article was written by Dan Mennella and taken off a WGR site. It notes that the commissioner acknowledges that the season and playoffs are in serious jeopardy. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/radiocom/nhl-commissioner-admits-season-could-be-cancelled

Hockey and basketball are over.  Question now is if baseball can salvage an abbreviated season.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As we’ve discussed, i think it’s most likely only a matter of time until it’s cancelled. I’d love to believe it’ll start again, but I just don’t see it.

Right now I’m not even 100% sure next season will be able to start on time.

The biggest issue I see associated with the coronavirus pandemic as it relates to sports is how does one deal with having events, in any sport, with fans in attendance in a large gathering. Even if a vaccine is developed and treatments materialize this virus will continue to be contagious. To compound this issue is that there are people who have the virus yet don't have symptoms. They are still very contagious! There are many experts in the medical field who believe that even if the virus becomes dormant it can still reignite and reprise the mass contamination process all over again. 

This coronavirus pandemic has not only changed the sports world but it has also changed the work world and how we socialize. There are no easy answers. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

From where the the Sabres are drafting they will come away with a good prospect who will probably be two to three years away from contributing. On the other hand the GM is entering the last year of his contract with a restless fan base that is tired of not having a team in the playoffs. So there has to be some urgency by the organization and owners to demonstrate to the frustrated fans that they are serious in doing everything possible to upgrade the roster. 

If the GM could use that valued draft pick and maybe include a player or two such as Risto in a deal to construct a genuine second line then I'm all for it. Without question Eichel is an elite player, and soon Dahlin will also be in that lofty category. Unless more talent is added to the roster their talents will be squandered. The future is now!

Attached is 13 min. interview with Dylan Cozens on WGR's Instigator Show. Although there is nothing special about the interview what is apparent is that Cozens is mature way beyond his young age. Whether it will be as a forward or center or which line I can't say. But because of his age he won't be able to play in Rochester. And sending him back to the juniors will do little for his development. I have little doubt that he will be on the Sabres next year. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-09-sabres-prospect-dylan-cozens

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Common man, ease up and show a little patience. ;)

I have been patient and am patient. However, where we are on this long and torturous road calls for a heavier foot on the accelerator to get us there a little quicker. 

Would I give up our high first round pick for a relatively young second line forward? Yes. Would I trade Risto (who I like a lot) for a second line forward in order to get a player who would upgrade the second line? I'm certainly receptive to that type of deal. I'm not calling for a ROR type deal that created a major void. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't trade a good asset to get another good asset to better balance out the roster. 

The GM is on the last year of his contract. At this stage of his tenure I'm sure he is more concerned about the present than the future. 

There is no better playoff rivalry in NHL history than what Colorado and Detroit provided from 1996-2008.

The series record is 3-3 all time and it provided some of the nastiest fun hockey you will ever watch.

During this time of being stuck at home I have caught up on watching the history of this rivalry and it was the best pressure hockey you will ever see.

• Like (+1) 1

How happy are you guys with Jack Eichel?

Because if you aren't happy with him, since we are in quarantine...............

I would like to talk about a trade?

I will be fair and try not to make this a stupid one-sided trade.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

How happy are you guys with Jack Eichel?

Because if you aren't happy with him, since we are in quarantine...............

I would like to talk about a trade?

I will be fair and try not to make this a stupid one-sided trade.

We'll throw in Botterill and when he gets there he can trade us back Eichel for Tage Thompson.