Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I win! 

I finally got to see a win in person. My streak would’ve hit 3 years if they had lost tonight.

Because we finally won a game that you attended you will be called on to replicate everything you did that resulted in a win. What does that mean? You will be required to wear the same lucky underwear you wore during this hard fought game. And you will not be allowed to wash the underwear because it might wash away the lucky mojo that it now has. Being a lucky fan for this most often unlucky team calls for individual sacrifice. At the next game you attend when the fans around you hold their noses and yell you fu**cking stink! Acknowledge them and yell back that you are doing it for the team. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

The below link are post game comments from WGR. There are other links associated with the post game comments. What is evident is that this team under Krueger is  more resilient than prior teams. Although there are obvious talent deficiencies on this roster this group has more character and mentally tough. Columbus is a tough team. We matched them. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-13-ralph-krueger-postgame

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/evan-rodrigues-postgame-21320/t-277437090/c-5252106 (ERod post game)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-postgame-21320/t-277437090/c-5252210 (Eichel post game)

Sounds like having Olofsson back gave the team some confidence. Hopefully they can start putting some wins together now.

Good to see Skinner looking more like himself. He had a good game. He was playing with that edge we saw last year. If he keeps playing like he did tonight, it’s only a matter of time until he starts scoring., and that could really help the Sabres finish strong if that happens. 

16 hours ago, ALF said:

What a beautiful opening ceremony  for the game tonight. 

I just watched this.  Was Michel Grosek not available for 90s night?  They traded him away in March of 2000.

21 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

and i will be at a swim meet, and they win when i don't watch. 

Hmm, an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object....my streak is the unmovable object, lets see who wins out!

You're banned...you're welcome!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

Will wonders cease?! Evan “boobs on a nun” Rodriguez actually made a great play and scored a goal! 

If we edit this a slight bit, we can turn Rodriguez into trade bait.  Maybe now we get two dozen pucks and some practice pylons.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

3 more points and he will be 2nd in NHL history. No way he catches Housley for #1. I’m not sure any teenage defenseman ever will. But that was during the “live puck era”. 

I agree. Those days are long over. There should be an asterisk though, as Housley played games at forward as well. 

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

If we edit this a slight bit, we can turn Rodriguez into trade bait.  Maybe now we get two dozen pucks and some practice pylons.

Two dozen pucks? For ERod? That was a nice play last night, but let’s not get carried away here. Take the dozen pucks and be happy. I’m holding firm on those pylons, though.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree. Those days are long over. There should be an asterisk though, as Housley played games at forward as well. 

Yeah I was going to mention that too. 

But I decided to double check just to make sure first and was surprised to learn that wasn’t true. He only played forward for about 25 games during his 3rd and 4th seasons (age 20 and 21).

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/heres-why-it-took-so-long-for-housley-to-make-hhof-grade

There are a couple of theories. The first is Housley spent a good chunk of his early seasons with the Buffalo Sabres playing forward and racking up points. That’s a misconception. Housley made the massive jump from Minnesota high school to the NHL as an 18-year-old (after being selected sixth overall by Buffalo in 1982) and managed 19 goals and 66 points in 77 games as a rookie defenseman. Sure, it was the live puck era, but it was a celebrated feat nonetheless.

Housley followed up with 31 goals and 77 points as a Sabres sophomore the next year and went on to 11 straight seasons with at least 60 points.

Now, there was a stretch during his third and fourth seasons in Buffalo when coach Scotty Bowman experimented with Housley as a forward. By his own admission upon retirement in 2003, Housley told The Hockey News he played no more than 25 games as a forward in each of his third and fourth seasons (1984-85 and 1985-86) with the Sabres. That’s just 50 games total out of 1,495 during his career. That’s about 3.3 percent of his NHL playing time. That’s it. 50 games.

In those two seasons when he played some games at forward, Housley had 69 and 62 points, which is actually below his eight-year Buffalo average of 70 points.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Two dozen pucks? For ERod? That was a nice play last night, but let’s not get carried away here. Take the dozen pucks and be happy. I’m holding firm on those pylons, though.

Life is about managing other people's expectations!

I think we could get all the pucks if he's marketed right.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I was going to mention that too. 

But I decided to double check just to make sure first and was surprised to learn that wasn’t true. He only played forward for about 25 games during his 3rd and 4th seasons (age 20 and 21).

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/heres-why-it-took-so-long-for-housley-to-make-hhof-grade

Thanks for correcting my mis-memory about Housley. I could have sworn Bowman used him at forward much earlier. 

48 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Now Bogosian is gone, we need those practice pylons more than ever.

I'm willing to back off the second dozen pucks.

• Haha (+1) 1