WR situation is like going in with Peterman as starter last year

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Troll Toll?

*googles the word troll*

Ah, got it, troll toll

Maybe you should get your head out of the sand,  look at the great teams in this league. Passing game and making big plays down the field is a huge part of their success.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Maybe you should get your head out of the sand,  look at the great teams in this league. Passing game and making big plays down the field is a huge part of their success.

Haha. Ok dude. Maybe I’ll do that. Thanks for the advice. 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

The WR class was apparently not highly thought of by GMs this year given where they were drafted.  And folks around here need to calm down and realize Beane has a much better handle on these guys that any of us.

They are focused on protecting Allen first and foremost.  Then you have two guys in Foster and Brown with speed, underneath guys in Beasley and Jones, some TEs and RBs that can catch.  But people yell about a #1 WR; as overused a term as franchise QB or lockdownCB.

...look how many here wanted or had DK ranked in the top 15 (Bflo pick at #9 even) and he goes at #64...........

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Foster and Brown.  Two of the fastest WRs in the league.  What the hell are you talking about?

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I walked into the draft thinking WR was a super low need.  I just think everyone is so obsessed with having this "WR1," as if that is a thing in the NFL, and not a fantasy football driven creation.  Its about how he WR corps, as a whole, looks.  And, they look really good.  

On top of that, despite how much hate Zay gets, he is obviously developing quite nicely.  Cutting (or trading) him was never on the table.  He has always been in their plans moving forward. 

I created the topic and for the typical team I would agree with you. The difference is that we have Josh Allen. He can literally make any throw on the field from anywhere within ~85 yards. He has more potential as a passer than even Patrick Mahomes. On many teams the QBs don’t have the arms to take advantage of having #1 guys. Allen would maximize a big play receivers’ potential and said receiver would help maximize Josh’s potential. #1 receiver aside, we don’t even have a reliable deep threat like Andy Isabella to take advantage of Allen’s big arm.

With Foster and McKenzie coming on late last year, Zay a work in progress but still showing more glimpses of improvement, the addition of Williams, Beasley, Kroft, Knox and Brown, I don't see how that is anything like starting Peterman last year. They've essentially reworked the entire receiving corps. Regardless of your opinion on the individual players, the moves were certainly made to add weapons for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I created the topic and for the typical team I would agree with you. The difference is that we have Josh Allen. He can literally make any throw on the field from anywhere within ~85 yards. He has more potential as a passer than even Patrick Mahomes. On many teams the QBs don’t have the arms to take advantage of having #1 guys. Allen would maximize a big play receivers’ potential and said receiver would help maximize Josh’s potential. #1 receiver aside, we don’t even have a reliable deep threat like Andy Isabella to take advantage of Allen’s big arm.

You think a third round rookie is a reliable deep threat?  A guy that's never played one down in the league.  But a guy like Brown with experience or a guy like Foster who showed he can get open deep are unreliable?

Please.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

He seemed to find Foster deep just fine. And once Foster started catching those deep balls it was exciting to watch.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Foster and Brown.  Two of the fastest WRs in the league.  What the hell are you talking about?

Being a reliable deep threat is far more than just being fast. It does no good if you can’t track the ball, use that extra gear to accelerate on slight overthrows, and haul in the catch. Their current crew are “deep threats” in the vein that TJ Graham was a “deep threat”. I wasn’t hung up on drafting Metcalf, but look at the way he could track down deep passes that were seemingly overthrown. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Being a reliable deep threat is far more than just being fast. It does no good if you can’t track the ball, use that extra gear to accelerate on slight overthrows, and haul in the catch. Their current crew are “deep threats” in the vein that TJ Graham was a “deep threat”. I wasn’t hung up on drafting Metcalf, but look at the way he could track down deep passes that were seemingly overthrown. 

So now you bounce from Isabella to Metcalf?  You shouldn't be drinking this early in the morning.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You think a third round rookie is a reliable deep threat?  A guy that's never played one down in the league.  But a guy like Brown with experience or a guy like Foster who showed he can get open deep are unreliable?

Please.

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying they should have traded back into the 2nd and drafted a receiver that will maximize Allen’s talent. Brown, Metcalf, Isabella all could have done that. Foster is unreliable deep. He loses sight of the balls in the air, doesn’t have the extra gear to get his hands on the slight overthrows and bobbles every other deep pass.

• Haha (+1) 1

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying they should have traded back into the 2nd and drafted a receiver that will maximize Allen’s talent. Brown, Metcalf, Isabella all could have done that. Foster is unreliable deep. He loses sight of the balls in the air, doesn’t have the extra gear to get his hands on the slight overthrows and bobbles every other deep pass.

Again they have at least two guys that can get down field fast in Foster and Brown, three if Williams pans out.  You are placing way too much emphasis on second round rookie WRs.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So now you bounce from Isabella to Metcalf?  You shouldn't be drinking this early in the morning.

That juxtaposition was intentional. Despite their differences in physical stature, they both possess the bonafide deep threat skills that our WRs don’t have. Think about it from this angle: if Allen can make an UDFA in Robert Foster look good, what do you think he could do with an actual top receiver prospect?

Keeping the receiving group from last year with no changes would have been more comparable to sticking with Peterman than this.

True, there is no number clear one receiver, but there are now four options that are Capable of 50+ catches in a year.    Our WR group was historically bad last year.  You are not going to get what the Rams and Chiefs have in just one off season.   You now have two veterans with good experience, an emerging Foster and Zay Jones even showed improvement.   That is far ahead of what we had at this time last year. 

The WR class is not strong in the draft and I have serious doubt that any receiver would have suddenly emerged as a Antonio Brown/ODB/Julio Jones caliber target right away.   If Foster or Jones don't emerge as a number one option, I have a feeling that Buffalo will get that needed receiver in the draft next year.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This was just not that good of a class. It was a deep group and there are still some guys out there but it wasn't a group with a lot of elite talent. 

Exactly....this front office is very smart, and they study future drafts...word on the street is that next years draft is thin at OL and loaded with WR....Beane probably thought why get mediocre talent this year when we can get a top flight guy next year if need be.

That juxtaposition was intentional. Despite their differences in physical stature, they both possess the bonafide deep threat skills that our WRs don’t have. Think about it from this angle: if Allen can make an UDFA in Robert Foster look good, what do you think he could do with an actual top receiver prospect?

They. Are. Not. Top. Receiver. Prospects.  

They would have gone day one if that was the case.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Again they have at least two guys that can get down field fast in Foster and Brown, three if Williams pans out.  You are placing way too much emphasis on second round rookie WRs.

There was easily 1000+ yards of offense left on the field last year because we didn’t have guys that could reliably track and catch his deep passes.

Just now, Troll Toll said:

There was easily 1000+ yards of offense left on the field last year because we didn’t have guys that could reliably track and catch his deep passes.

Tell the truth.  You've been drinking this morning, right?  Over 1000 yards?  Come on.