V-Coach - Bennie Anderson signed

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why the hell would we cut teague?  we're trying to build depth along the OL, here... plus, we still have no LT, a position he's played

292827[/snapback]

Salary cap constraints. Especially if we trade for Shelton and plan to sign a decent replacement for Henry.

Interesting aspect from bb.com--Bennie in the community...this is one of the longer community involvement bios I have seen...Bennie actually has a bachelor's in education..

Attended Cleveland Junior Naval Academy in St. Louis, where he was All-District...Earned the leadership award by the "Tree Coaches" (TSU alumni coaches who sit under a tree watching practice) as a junior and senior...Was named honorary chairman for the west side Christian Academy for their annual fundraising golf tournament...Was a speaker at the Black College All-American Awards Banquet in Atlanta (2/02)...Took part in the Braille Rally in his hometown during the 2002 summer, helping to raise money for the Missouri School for the Blind...With the support of Operation Blessing and gospel radio station Heaven 600, Anderson provided over 100 Cherry Hill families with food and books during December 2002 and 2003 and Park Heights in spring of 2004...Anderson and Movements Unlimited Performing Arts Company Inc. joined to host the fifth annual movements unlimited Kwanzaa...Bennie, who has a degree in education, took part for the second straight year in Teach for America Day, as a guest math teacher and instructed students at Pimlico Middle School...He and his wife, Salena, have one son, Bennie, Jr. (9/9/01)...Full name: Bennie Tyron Lamar Anderson.

It's interesting that the Bills valued Anderson more than Keydrick Vincent, who signed a three-year, $4.64 million contract with the Ravens. As a Raven's season ticket holder, I'm interested in seeing what magic Mouse can pull out of Big (false start) Bennie. Ah well...

It's interesting that the Bills valued Anderson more than Keydrick Vincent, who signed a three-year, $4.64 million contract with the Ravens.  As a Raven's season ticket holder, I'm interested in seeing what magic Mouse can pull out of Big (false start) Bennie.  Ah well...

292869[/snapback]

Apparently teaching him the snap count is at the top of the list...

Finally a worthy acquisition! I think that there's several factors that went into this signing. First and foremost Jim McNally. The potential of the tutelage and technique of McNally is very exciting. Secondly, the combination of the speed of our WRs and the mobility of Losman (roll outs) will compensate for the length of time that is needed for pass protection. In addition to the dominating defense and the power of MaGahee, the passing attack will be a compliment not a staple. Another factor is that this signing sends a signal that we are not dependent and will not stand idle on trades and personnel. This should tip the scale of leverage in our favor in the future dealing with Arizona and/or any other potential trade partner.

While there might be truth to Anderson lacking in pass protection I find it hard to believe that he is as poor as some seem to make him out. He WAS part of the O-line that enabled Jamal Lewis to rush for over 2000 yds. What, was that an accident? Also, though I really don't know anything about him personally, I do get the feeling that he's a quality person. With an impressive community service resume and his spiritual verbalism, I for one am very happy that he's part of our team and community. Furthermore, he has openly stated with believable conviction that he's very happy to be a part of our team and organization. He is also looking forward to raising his abilities. It doesn't seem to be just about money. It's nice to see someone with goals and character, and that is good enough for me.

Welcome to the Buffalo Bills, Bennie. It's nice to have you on board!

The Ravens' OLine coach is no Mouse McNally.  Anyone remember Dwight Freeney eating Ogden's lunch last season?

292688[/snapback]

....but Dwight Freeney is from Connecticut. Dont mess with Connecticut!

I dont know alot about Bennie but I know TD knows a helluva lot more then me about oline...ahem...Marcus Price. I however know a heluva lot more then him about overrated quarterbacks, but thats another story...

I seem to be alone here (except maybe J frm Hemet) in thinking that this means that Teague is OUT.  The fact is, his production vs. Tucker's probably doesn't justify his contract value vs. Tucker's.  I say he's a June 1 goner.

292767[/snapback]

Not if there's a crying need at LT. I'm not thrilled with him going back out to LT but you don't cut guys who can play 2 positions on the OL.

not surprisingly to many here, i think the move is weak and here is why......

bennie anderson is one of the last OG i wanted to see the bills sign this off-season.......while a good run blocker, he is a below average pass blocker......it is a weakness in his game that was exploited time and time again in BAL.......

despite the fact they have tons of cap room and run an extremely similar offense to BUF, the ravens made no effort to re-sign him because he was the weak link on that line......

but you all will be happy to know that I won't be calling TD cheap on this move -- seeing BAL signed vincent (who is an upgrade for them as he is a more complete player) to a smaller contract then bennie got, the bills overpaid.......

is he better then what the bills had? sure, tucker is worse in my opinion and bennie will be an upgrade overall, plus this improves the overall depth and leaves more options open on draft day..........but is it the best move the bills could have made? not in my opinion.......

just my two cents........flame away......

bennie anderson is one of the last OG i wanted to see the bills sign this off-season.......while a good run blocker, he is a below average pass blocker......it is a weakness in his game that was exploited time and time again in BAL.......

despite the fact they have tons of cap room and run an extremely similar offense to BUF, the ravens made no effort to re-sign him because he was the weak link on that line......

but you all will be happy to know that I won't be calling TD cheap on this move -- seeing BAL signed vincent (who is an upgrade for them as he is a more complete player) to a smaller contract then bennie got, the bills overpaid.......

is he better then what the bills had? sure, tucker is worse in my opinion and bennie will be an upgrade overall, plus this improves the overall depth and leaves more options open on draft day..........but is it the best move the bills could have made? not in my opinion.......

292966[/snapback]

Um yeah. They signed Vincent because Anderson wanted too much money. They did want him back. But why post fact when opinion is much more colorful. :o

292966[/snapback]

Bennie's biggest problem isn't really his pass blocking, but he does tend to make some mental mistakes, penalties, on occassion. He really hasn't been beat a lot on the pass rush. Yes he is big and maybe won't move as much as a smaller guard, for pulling and zone blocking, but if you want a straight up block your guy type, Anderson is it.

Looks like these Ravens fans really hate him....

http://mb9.scout.com/fravensinsiderfrm1.sh...cID=29345.topic

292650[/snapback]

I wouldn't be too nervous just yet about some of those comments, false starts are mental mistakes as we all know and watching the o-line steadily improve last year I'm thinking that "Mouse" can correct both mental and disciplinary shortcomings on any O lineman from what I've seen, or maybe I'm just naive!?! :o

Um yeah. They signed Vincent because Anderson wanted too much money. They did want him back. But why post fact when opinion is much more colorful. :o

292970[/snapback]

kindly back-up your "fact" with a link......

"The Ravens decided not to pursue Anderson when he became an unrestricted free agent, opting to sign the more athletic Keydrick Vincent of Pittsburgh instead."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050401/1072863.asp

"A 16-game starter last season for the AFC North champion Steelers, Vincent will replace Bennie Anderson, a four-year starter Baltimore decided not to retain."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8280051

"The Ravens have already put Bennie on a jet (pun intended)."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...ack=3&cset=true

Interestingly, fan opinion of him kinda reminds me of Reuben Brown - great run-blocker/mauler (although Reuben obviously was more athletic), average pass blocker and prone to mental mistakes. I'm interested to see what the coaches do with this guy - really, although he wasn't cheap, he wasn't expensive either. I think we got fair value for the "gamble" - if he's a backup, it's not the worst thing to have a guy like that on the bench (and he'd be only slightly overpaid); if he's ultimately cut, the cap hit really isn't too substantial.

Audio and Video of the press conference are both up on bb.com.  Watch the video....that is one BIG man....

Best quote..."The offseason has been too long already, I'll be here Monday ready to go to work."

Bennie and the Bills

292728[/snapback]

He is BIIIIGGG!! I don't know how big that BB podium is, but in front of Big Bennie it looks like a piece of furniture from a nursery school!! :o

kindly back-up your "fact" with a link......

293008[/snapback]

Bennie Anderson a bad signing? Impossible! McNally can turn any player into a Pro Bowler.

Try this: go take a dump outside on your front lawn. Then, call OBD and have somebody collect your fecal matter and bring it over to the Bills locker room. McNally will have your poo suited up and Canton-bound in no time.

Bennie Anderson will be a special player. I know because The Great One signed him. Bennie will be an integral part of The Great One's masterful 6 year plan for the playoffs.