Connon McGregor announces retirement

I thought he'd fight a few more times but I'm not that surprised.  He had a great run but I don't think he can beat Khabib even if he focuses on fighting and fitness and frees himself from the distractions.  He leaves as the most successful MMA fighter of all time.  Its not the guy with the most wins its the guy with the most $$$.  Why get your skull beat in when you've been able to create and monetize your own brand? 

Facing sexual assault charges in Ireland, but that's just the excuse.

He's getting out of fighting before everyone realizes he's the most overrated fighter of all time, and managed to go his whole career (in mma) without fighting really anyone of consequence, and existing almost solely on hype.

Nobody has made more money for less in mma. Seriousoy look at his fights. A 15 or something second fight with Aldo and then a bunch of filler. https://m.sherdog.com/fighter/record/Conor-McGregor-29688

I bet even the seasoned mma watchers (myself included) don't recognize the names past page 1, and page 1 is a who's who of mediocre ufc fighters.

I'm just sad we won't get to see him exposed. He has been so protected for years we will never see his version of the Holly Holm headkick (end to hype machine Rousey).