A Draft Day trade is very possible

If you have a top 10 pick and a top player drops to you that plays DE, LT or QB I feel like you have to draft them. If you also have a need at that position it’s a no brainer. You rarely see top 10 players in those positions make it to FA. Plus I have a feeling we won’t be drafting near the top 10 for a while. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

We already know Beane has no problems moving around the board.

Based on everything he's said over the last few months, I really think he's been eying a trade-down this year.

Of course, that all depends on who is available at #9 and what kind of offers other teams make.

Free agency has played out perfectly for us, so that we can maximize value in the draft.  And we still have around $40 million in cap space.

They are clearly targeting the pass rush, and I expect them to make a move to grab another DE within the next few days.  Sounds like they are going to make a nice offer to Ziggy Ansah, if he checks out medically.

Our biggest need was O-Line.  With the guys we've picked up, it's possible we already have our starting five on the roster.  But we could also draft an OT or OG early, slide some people around and go into the season with upgraded depth.  Our second biggest need was WR.  By adding two solid veterans, we are no longer desperate to go here early.  We don't have a clear #1 target, so I still think we draft someone on Day 1-2 here, but it's no longer a desperate situation.

At this point, (in addition to another pass rusher as already mentioned) I think we still need to add another TE and a 3-Tech DT to replace Kyle Williams.  Outside of that, we can literally go with anything when the draft comes around.

daniel wise 3 tech dt...in the top of the 4th? j. philipps mold , penetrating motor etc.    i kinda hope they go edge high and then take this guy. i think he'll be the real deal. i'd rather they sign a dt(richardson and tell him put up or shut up) on a 1 yr. deal and invest edge wise......sweat and ximines. trade shaq and split murphy and lorax on the end or put them both on the line....for this year and have 2 outstanding rushers get their feet wet for next year. this year we will lead the league in sacks. leslie may not have to blitz a lot (or as much as i'd like)after all.

Edited by billsredneck1

4 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I know there are other options at DT Alpha, but if Quinnen gets down to 5 or 6 and they feel he can have a Donald / Fletcher Cox / Chris Jones impact? Suppose you can get it done for a 3rd and a 2020 2nd, maybe a bit more...is it really so outlandish?

I just think Oliver or Wilkins is gonna be there at 9, have a hard time thinking they will give up assets to Q even with him being so good when there are some real stud prospects there at 9 without having trade away an asset.  I dont know if Quinnen is really that much better than Oliver or Wilkins that its worth paying a premium in draft picks we could use on building more talent on the team.  

Lets use your trade example:  #9, #74 (our 3rd) and a 2020 2nd.  

What is more valuable:  Quinnen or Oliver/Wilkins, one of the players in a deep draft at OL/WR/RB we can get in the third, plus the prospect in the 2nd next year?  

I personally just dont see it.  Quinnen is a stud, but so are Oliver and Wilkins.  I just dont see the jump in value to be enough to offset grabbing a key player in the 3rd this year, remember thats the 9th pick in the 3rd too.  Plus throwing in a valuable pick next year to keep building around our young team.  

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

The Patriots camp said this week that the defensive side of the draft is so strong that even if the first 31 picks are D guys they will still be happy with a D guy at 32.

I know that’s big talk but if you look at the depth it is pretty wild.

You trust what the Pat's would say? They are probably saying that hoping the first 31 picks are defence so they can get the better offensive player without moving from their spot.......

I feel like keeping Allen’s jersey clean should be the number 1 priority with the 1st rd pick even if they feel like they need to trade back. I think there are two LT’s that I would easily pick at 9. The better we protect Allen and keep him healthy for 16 games the faster he will develop. 

We will without a doubt have the ability to trade down with this many talented defensive players available. This draft is going to be very exciting.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

4 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I know there are other options at DT Alpha, but if Quinnen gets down to 5 or 6 and they feel he can have a Donald / Fletcher Cox / Chris Jones impact? Suppose you can get it done for a 3rd and a 2020 2nd, maybe a bit more...is it really so outlandish?

Their are other good DTs in this class that you dont have to give up capital like that.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I just think Oliver or Wilkins is gonna be there at 9, have a hard time thinking they will give up assets to Q even with him being so good when there are some real stud prospects there at 9 without having trade away an asset.  I dont know if Quinnen is really that much better than Oliver or Wilkins that its worth paying a premium in draft picks we could use on building more talent on the team.  

Lets use your trade example:  #9, #74 (our 3rd) and a 2020 2nd.  

What is more valuable:  Quinnen or Oliver/Wilkins, one of the players in a deep draft at OL/WR/RB we can get in the third, plus the prospect in the 2nd next year?  

I personally just dont see it.  Quinnen is a stud, but so are Oliver and Wilkins.  I just dont see the jump in value to be enough to offset grabbing a key player in the 3rd this year, remember thats the 9th pick in the 3rd too.  Plus throwing in a valuable pick next year to keep building around our young team.  

I can see your perspective too, as always there are plenty of spots that can use an injection of young talent, though I do like the idea of adding special players rather than good players if that's the choice we're presented with. We don't necessarily need every single draft pick that we have, we've done a nice job of getting at least NFL calibre players mostly everywhere so can look for value. I'm open to staying put or even trading down too, we have a lot of flexibility in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

If the Bills DON’T make a draft trade, I’d be absolutely shocked. 

I am thinking the same thing Augie....I think the QBs might determine if the Bills trade up or down.  Murray and Haskins could  push lets say Josh Allen close enough to us where it would be very tempting....or the run on QBs could entice a few teams below us to trade up to 9.   If we got Josh Allen ...you could wear a dual jersey with QBs number on the front and the DEs number on the back or vice versa. Might be corny also lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I can see your perspective too, as always there are plenty of spots that can use an injection of young talent, though I do like the idea of adding special players rather than good players if that's the choice we're presented with. We don't necessarily need every single draft pick that we have, we've done a nice job of getting at least NFL calibre players mostly everywhere so can look for value. I'm open to staying put or even trading down too, we have a lot of flexibility in my opinion.

I agree with all this.  I just think there is going to be a special player at 9, not just "good" prospects.  And thats the only reason I cant see a trade up from 9.  Beane isn't afraid of making moves obviously, but he also covets draft equity.  And I just think we have so much equity at 9, that a trade up wont net back nearly as much because there are going to be some blue chip guys on the board at 9 in areas we could use the help.  

But like I said, I think its quite possible Beane will do some trade up at some point in the draft, just doubtful it will involve trading up from 9.  And if we were to trade down, something I think Beane will try and do, then I think he will use some of the extra draft capital to move up somewhere else in the draft at some point.  

Like you, I dont think Beane intends to use all 10 picks, so I do think some maneuvering up is likely, just for me it will be somewhere else in the draft other than with our 9th pick.