Mat Jones- Im impressed, wish we would take him

Its not so far-fetched. We know for a fact that Mularkey likes a player who is versatile, and although he lacks the blinding speed of Randle-El, I could see Mularkey designing a few offensive schemes around him and his ability to throw the ball.

At least worth some consideration, come draft day. I certainly wouldnt be opposed to us drafting him.

Its not so far-fetched.  We know for a fact that Mularkey likes a player who is versatile, and although he lacks the blinding speed of Randle-El, I could see Mularkey designing a few offensive schemes around him and his ability to throw the ball. 

At least worth some consideration, come draft day.  I certainly wouldnt be opposed to us drafting him.

291156[/snapback]

Last I heard he had a 40 time for 4.4 which is pretty good, Plus he can play TE/WR and has QB experience. Couldnt hurt to grab him if he falls to us in the 3rd round or if there are no better options in the 2nd

I don't know much about him, but if he's so unstoppable how come Arkansas' coaching staff couldn't come up with a better game plan to use him? Just the first thing that occurred to me when I first started hearing talk of him a couple months ago.

Randle-El if I remember had a similar buzz coming out of college. I remember watching draft coverage and people were just assuming he'd fall low and wer surprised he got taken in the 2nd. BTW he got picked 30th after the Bills took Denney with the 29th.

Im not really sure how much I would count a coaching staff's inability to coach against a player. The guy supposedly has a good attitude, mental toughness and good physical skills, Id love to get him in the 3rd, problem is he will probably be gone by then.

Im not really sure how much I would count a coaching staff's inability to coach against a player.

291204[/snapback]

I'm not holding it against him. Just wondering how the hell Arkansas' coaching staff seemingly dropped the ball if this guy is going to come in and "Change the NFL." Just wondering how much is hyperbole and how much is legitimate.

I'm not holding it against him.  Just wondering how the hell Arkansas' coaching staff seemingly dropped the ball if this guy is going to come in and "Change the NFL."  Just wondering how much is hyperbole and how much is legitimate.

291212[/snapback]

Well, he did play in the SEC which is probably the strongest top-to-bottom conference in the land. I don't think the team he played on had as much talent as those they faced.

Plus, he was "stuck" at the QB position there. And, uhmm, it's kind of against the laws of physics and space/time to throw the ball and catch that ball in the same play. :P

In the NFL, he'll be a guy that can fill multiple slots. TE, WR, backup or surprise situational QB to confuse defenses.... It would be nice for Mularky to have the same kind of player that Stewart was before he became a full-time QB.

I'll bet he dosen't get past either Jacksonville's or Baltimore's picks in the 1st round.

Even heard a couple of rumors that San Diego, may be looking at him at 12 and they were allocating that pick for a WR anyways.

There are 6 third round comp picks this year...that's a lot of ammo. Bad news for the teams without - it pulls those picks away from the the 4th.

291257[/snapback]

I'll bet he dosen't get past either Jacksonville's or Baltimore's picks in the 1st round.

Even heard a couple of rumors that San Diego, may be looking at him at 12 and they were allocating that pick for a WR anyways.

291406[/snapback]

I know Jones had a very good combine and his stock is rising, but I can't see a player being drafted in the first twenty picks to play a position(TE/WR) that is completely different from the position he played in college(QB).

I don't know much about him, but if he's so unstoppable how come Arkansas' coaching staff couldn't come up with a better game plan to use him?  Just the first thing that occurred to me when I first started hearing talk of him a couple months ago.

291198[/snapback]

In 2004 he was the only returning starter on the offensive side of the ball. Yeah we need help on the line but i will be smiling from ear to ear if we get this kid. Ten years from now it will be the best second round pick in franchise history... do we pass that up for a need (that could be filled in other ways).

I'm not holding it against him.  Just wondering how the hell Arkansas' coaching staff seemingly dropped the ball if this guy is going to come in and "Change the NFL."  Just wondering how much is hyperbole and how much is legitimate.

291212[/snapback]

I dont recall anyone saying he was going to "Change the NFL" All that has been said is he is a versatile player, a great athlete and has a good attitude when it comes to football. Theres always a spot on a team for a guy like that.

Its not so far-fetched.  We know for a fact that Mularkey likes a player who is versatile, and although he lacks the blinding speed of Randle-El, I could see Mularkey designing a few offensive schemes around him and his ability to throw the ball. 

At least worth some consideration, come draft day.  I certainly wouldnt be opposed to us drafting him.

291156[/snapback]

He doesn't lack the speed of Randle El, he's probably faster. He isn't as quick or agile as Randle El, but he's a deep threat, where Randle El is more of a slot receiver who works underneath coverage. Jones has the size and build-up speed to be a home run hitter and a big red-zone target.

You have to wonder what would happen if you had Jones and Evans on one side of a formation, running deep crossing routes, and Moulds, on the other, running underneath that.

Oh, and McGahee chipping a DE and then going to the side just vacated by Moulds.

Clements and Mularkey would be drooling on their playbooks....

Ive never even heard of a 6'6 guy running a 4.37 I mean that's nuts. FYI he said he wont play TE, it actually made sense when he expressed his feeling about that. One coach asked about the possibility because of his size and he was like "what, you want me to gain 20 lbs and run a 4.57 instead of staying how I am and run a 4.37?" I mean that speed and size could be devastating as a 3wr and the slash options would always be there. Look at the big plays he's made, I really like him for a 3rd rd pick.

I agree with you brihs2005, take the best athlete available with our 1st pick. Matter of fact, try to move up to get this guy. I'm sick and tired of the "draft for need" thinking. Make him a TE/slash and put him up on the line to help compliment our O-linemen. This kid is a flat out athlete. Period.

I started a topic on this very subject a couple of months ago and no one even replied to it. I moved to Arkansas last July and got to watch him play several times. They had no one around him, so defenses could key on him. I would hate to pass him up in the second round if we had the chance to draft him.

I'm telling you I wouldnt be surprised to see him in a Bills uniform. But I dont think we would spend a 2nd rounder on him. If we're trying to move up it's because we want Baas or another OG. Although I have heard that there are still very good OGs available in the 3rd rd. Jones in that case would be great for us.

The Bills will have to at the very least spend their 2nd round pick on Jones.  They probably need to move up to get him.  I'd love to get him since he's a freakish-type of player that only comes around so often.

291630[/snapback]

I agree. "Conventional" hasn't gotten it done to this point. Why not step out and do something bold that might payoff. I believe the Shelton/Henry deal happens in some fashion, straight up or otherwise. Draft this Jones kid and address your OL in rounds 3 and 4. Let's help J.P. out here.

I agree. "Conventional" hasn't gotten it done to this point. Why not step out and do something bold that might payoff. I believe the Shelton/Henry deal happens in some fashion, straight up or otherwise. Draft this Jones kid and address your OL in rounds 3 and 4. Let's help J.P. out here.

292348[/snapback]

In the top rounds, they've done the unconventional for some time...Qb, rb, wr, Si. Ol, lb, cb, No. :doh: