Has anyone else given up TV/Movies/Music?

I'm in the process of giving up TV.  I'm doing research on cord cutting, and have pretty much decided that as soon as I buy a smart TV I'll make the move.  My reasons are much the same as those repeated over and over - paying for hundreds of channels I've never watched, near monthly price increases from Spectrum, readily available alternatives plus new techniques to implement almost daily, etc.

20 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

I'm in the process of giving up TV.  I'm doing research on cord cutting, and have pretty much decided that as soon as I buy a smart TV I'll make the move.  My reasons are much the same as those repeated over and over - paying for hundreds of channels I've never watched, near monthly price increases from Spectrum, readily available alternatives plus new techniques to implement almost daily, etc.

I'm not talking about cord cutting, I'm talking about no longer consuming the media.

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not talking about cord cutting, I'm talking about no longer consuming the media.

I understand;  I'll  consume less media by stripping my choices to those I actually use, e.g., we gave up movies long ago.  I'm planning on giving up TV as most of us know it - cable company  delivered.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Keukasmallies said:

I understand;  I'll  consume less media by stripping my choices to those I actually use, e.g., we gave up movies long ago.  I'm planning on giving up TV as most of us know it - cable company  delivered.

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply.

Music has died alot because of the lack of cd/album sales. Especially the rock/alternative genre. But I could never give up music. 

Movies don't interest as much as they did when I was younger, but I still watch them quite often. 

I currently subscribe to directv and don't think I coukd give it up. I don't watch that many shows, but I need my Sunday ticket every year as well as access to college basketball and Syracuse games. Also the investigation discovery Channel and DIY channel 

The only new music I listen to is by way of a local independent radio station (alternative).

I'll check out new music by old artists (Stray Cats have a new album coming out in May and I am psyched), but I haven't latched onto a new artist in many years.

I actually go to more movies now than I ever did.  That said, I'm very selective and still only go every few months (if something I want to see is on).

My TV viewing is limited, for the most part, to Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, cooking shows, sitcom re-runs, local news, documentaries/interviews on AXS, NFL and the Mets.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The only new music I listen to is by way of a local independent radio station (alternative).

I'll check out new music by old artists (Stray Cats have a new album coming out in May and I am psyched), but I haven't latched onto a new artist in many years.

I actually go to more movies now than I ever did.  That said, I'm very selective and still only go every few months (if something I want to see is on).

My TV viewing is limited, for the most part, to Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, cooking shows, sitcom re-runs, local news, documentaries/interviews on AXS, NFL and the Mets.

88.1 in Toronto is the only local "alternative" station, the UofT station is mostly talk shows but it also accomodates.

There are many people who have done this, they are called hipsters and they think it's what makes them cool and unique.

TV is too low brow for them, and movies and music must be artsy indy types or else it is trash. The band is only good if others havent heard of them before or they play on front of an audience greater then 10 people.......

Theres alot of crap out there today in all forms of media. But today people also expect much more out of it, not everything has to be a subtitled arthouse award caliber film.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Interesting take, but OK.

So you and your skinny jeans can climb right back into your little Subaru sports car with the Thule thingy on top!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There are many people who have done this, they are called hipsters and they think it's what makes them cool and unique.

Those are the people who watch Netflix constantly and trumpet they are too intellectual to watch television...

Youtube has been amazing in providing anything I can ask for with music, my niche interest of 20th and 21st century string quartets is fully filled, I have not been denied a live or recorded performance of any of 100 of so the last year.

I gave up cable news after the 2016 election.  

Wikipedia has saved me hundreds of dollars and plenty of time in regards to movies.  I can just read the story under "plot."  9 out of 10 times it's a movie filled with plot devices I've seen many times before.  

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I gave up cable news after the 2016 election.  

The news has been the greatest in helping move that broom around in the people who see themselves as logical and loving.

I've really become discouraged with Hollywood the last 10-15 years. Too politicized. Too much social engineering. Too much of an agenda. China's increasing influence over what can be shown is creepy as well. It's really too bad because I feel the theatre end of the industry has really stepped up their game. We have a few fantastic ones around here that serve good food at your seat. Great alcohol selection. Comfortable seating and so on. Too bad the product they have to show is subpar.

Edited by Dante