About the compensatory picks.

Tipster19

The basic rundown is that there are 32 compensatory picks awarded each year. The compensatory picks are selected starting in the 3rd rd and continues all the way through to the end of the draft. There is 7 compensatory picks in the 3rd rd. That delutes the rds a bit especially when each rd after is adding more compensatory picks to the draft. Not all teams receive them and this year it was divided up amongst just 15 teams and yes New England was heavily compensated with 4. That is the most a team can be awarded each year and the Patriots are 1 of 3 teams to accomplish that, the other teams being Arizona and Washington. It gets worse. The Patriots are also just 1 of 2 teams to have multiple 3rd rd compensatory picks (#97 & #101) in addition to their original pick (#73), the other team being the Rams. The rich keep on getting richer.

In comparison Buffalo has no compensatory picks this year as we all well know. Between their original picks and 3 from trades, 4th rder (#131) via KC for Reggie Ragland, a 5th rder (#158) via Oakland for AJ McCarron and a 7th rder (#228) via Carolina for Kevon Seymour. All this boils down to is that the Patriots have found a way again to to put themselves in a winning position. They have 12 total draft picks which half, 50%, comes in the first 2 days of the draft while on the other hand Buffalo has a total of 10 picks with only 3, 30%, comes in the first 2 days of the draft. This has to change if we hope to be competitive, especially in our own division. 

Here is what I would like to see. I don’t care about the quantity of picks that we have but rather see us have a better quality of picks. I propose the idea of the Bills packaging up their original picks (#112 & #147) in the 4th and 5th rd and trade up into the 3rd rd in front of the compensatory picks that start with Washington at #96. That would give the Bills 4 out of their 9 picks (44.4%) in the first 2 days of the draft. The Bills need to even up the numbers and percentages a far bit more if they ever hope to compete, especially in our own division.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Here is what I would like to see. I don’t care about the quantity of picks that we have but rather see us have a better quality of picks. I propose the idea of the Bills packaging up their original picks (#112 & #147) in the 4th and 5th rd and trade up into the 3rd rd in front of the compensatory picks that start with Washington at #96. 

Here is what I say if I am Cleveland at Pick 95 and you are offering me picks 112 & 147... Go and pound sand.. 

What draft chart are you looking at?

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL should get rid of comp picks.  You can't sign your own FA's.  Here's your reward.

I don’t mind the idea of comp picks...  adds another wrinke to roster management.. I suspect we would like it more if we could make it work for us..

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL should get rid of comp picks.  You can't sign your own FA's.  Here's your reward.

I don’t mind comp picks...but I do feel they should only be awarded to non playoff teams....the Pats can afford not to spend on FA because of Brady...it’s a never ending cycle that is not fair to the other teams in the league- if the league is looking to create parity, that is.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t mind comp picks...but I do feel they should only be awarded to non playoff teams....the Pats can afford not to spend on FA because of Brady...it’s a never ending cycle that is not fair to the other teams in the league- if the league is looking to create parity, that is.

The original intention was to create parity and help out the bottom teams.

For example - If a player doesn't want to re-sign in Cleveland, this gives them some help in replacing that player.

But instead, it's done the opposite.

The better teams generally have more good players, and thus more sought-after free agents.  So instead of re-signing them to a big contract, they just let that player leave in free agency.  And instead of getting nothing for them, they basically get a 3rd-4th round pick in return.

I'm sure that Brandon Beane would love to eventually make the system "work" for them.  But it's going to take time to get the roster into a place where they can do that.  They need to be drafting well enough that:

a)  The players they DON'T bring back are signing big deals elsewhere.

b)  They have enough depth to fill holes without going crazy signing other free agents (which basically offsets the compensatory formula).

Since Beane has taken over, the Bills haven't had enough good players on the roster to let walk away in free agency.  The ones they have (Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby) were already traded to obtain the capital necessary to move-up and draft a QB.  And since the entire roster has needed to be rebuilt from the ground-up, Beane has needed to utilize free agency to fill holes.  As it stands, it will probably be at least 2021 before the Bills are in a position to take advantage of the compensatory formula.  Maybe even later.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

For example - If a player doesn't want to re-sign in Cleveland, this gives them some help in replacing that player.

The better teams generally have more good players, and thus more sought-after free agents.  So instead of re-signing them to a big contract, they just let that player leave in free agency.  And instead of getting nothing for them, they basically get a 3rd-4th round pick in return.

I'm sure that Brandon Beane would love to eventually make the system "work" for them.  But it's going to take time to get the roster into a place where they can do that.  They need to be drafting well enough that:

b)  They have enough depth to fill holes without going crazy signing other free agents (which basically offsets the compensatory formula).

Since Beane has taken over, the Bills haven't had enough good players on the roster to let walk away in free agency.  The ones they have (Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby) were already traded to obtain the capital necessary to move-up and draft a QB.  And since the entire roster has needed to be rebuilt from the ground-up, Beane has needed to utilize free agency to fill holes.  As it stands, it will probably be at least 2021 before the Bills are in a position to take advantage of the compensatory formula.  Maybe even later.

Great points all around. The system certainly seems broken, but it's really just the Patriots who like to take advantage of loopholes and such in teh rules. The don't re-sign their own and then they draft their replacement with comp picks and they sign veterans like Jason McCourty who get tossed to the scrap heap. Playoffs teams should be exempt from comp picks. It's the rich getting richer.   

We had an opportunity for a comp pick or two when when signed guys like Leon Johnson and Mike Tolbert and such, but I'd rather have the playoffs then some third round pick. There is zero chance we get any comp picks for the next few years, but hopefully as the roster gets better, we will see a change there. Great points guys.  

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Great points all around. The system certainly seems broken, but it's really just the Patriots who like to take advantage of loopholes and such in teh rules. The don't re-sign their own and then they draft their replacement with comp picks and they sign veterans like Jason McCourty who get tossed to the scrap heap. Playoffs teams should be exempt from comp picks. It's the rich getting richer.   

We had an opportunity for a comp pick or two when when signed guys like Leon Johnson and Mike Tolbert and such, but I'd rather have the playoffs then some third round pick. There is zero chance we get any comp picks for the next few years, but hopefully as the roster gets better, we will see a change there. Great points guys.  

New England is basically a machine. 

Belichick's system utilizes average/above average talent for a few seasons, makes those players look like stars, and then discards them to the scrap heap.  Other teams try signing those guys to big contracts, and most of the time end up disappointed.  Meanwhile, the Patriots get a mid-round pick to easily replace them.

A great example is Trent Brown.  He was originally a 7th Round Pick of the 49ers, who was a fairly decent right tackle during his first three seasons. 

Last offseason, the Patriots let Nate Solder walk in free agency (he got a huge contract from the Giants), then traded a late 3rd-Rounder for Brown and moved him to the left side.  After a season of playing in New England's offense, Brown suddenly looks like a franchise LT and is ready to cash-in. 

The Pats will certainly let him go.  They will replace him with Isaiah Wynn, who is sitting on the bench.  They will get their 3rd Rounder back next season from the compensatory system, and won't miss a beat.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't mind the comp picks, and I don't know what the big scandal is about the patriots getting them.

They had 2 players walk that got in the low teens of millions per year, and that value is dictated by supply and demand. They lost good players, as their contracts they signed when they left proved, and replace them with picks at the end of the 3rd round.

It's against the odds for those players picked at the ends of rounds 3-7 will turn into  $10M+/year free agents, so it's not like it's an endless loop. Goodon NE for being able to find guys later in the draft to have such good value.

I would love for buffalo to get to the point where they can get a system in place where they annually have 10 picks due to them, and sign a handful of vet FAs that are free reguarding the comp pick formula because they were cut from their previous teams, to fill in holes. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It was the teams, not the players, who wanted comp picks so they could save money on FAs and yet get something back.

And nearly every rule can be said to help the best teams. It's not that the rules are built to do that. It's that the best teams do a better job of handling the rules in a way that maximizes benefits for their teams.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

This is a great post given only 20% of it is factually accurate.

McD and Beane lost out on a 3rd round comp pick by keeping a special teams WR that could have been replaced by any of 100 street free agents and either an overpriced useless FB or a competent G.

The Dareus trade was not used to get a QB. Dareus netted a 5th round pick. They traded Glenn and a first to Bengals to move up and then they used the 2nd round pick obtained from LA packaged with the Bengals pick to move up and take Allen.

The entire roster did not need to be rebuilt. Beane dismantled a flawed team that still made the playoffs.  Star signing was a direct result of giving up on Dareus and creating dead money in 2018 while still paying a high price for average at best DT play.

He signed a declining RB to fill the backup spot that just about any other street FA or low round draft pick could have produced.

He did not address holes in WR group though I do not blame him for KB. I thought it was an ok move then and won't rewrite history. Most thought it was an ok move with some risk. No one thought KB would flame out as bad as he did in a contract year. Kudos for him finding Foster as an UDFA.  But a guy like Foster proves my point that McD and Beane botched the Gilmore comp pick by not cutting a useless WR, Ducasse, or the overpriced FB. 

So far Beane bothced his first opportunity to get a high comp pick, then by all measure grossly overpaid during last FA period, but rebounded with a good to great draft. He wasted some picks moving up to get Edmunds. Could he have moved up without giving up Glenn? Who knows. But he got the QB and MLB he needed by doing what he says he will never do, draft for need. Personally I think drafting for need is perfectly fine, just trade down not up this year and draft for all the needs this team has.

Now he has a chance to redeem the lost 2018 season with smart FA choices and as above hopefully a few moves down in the draft to get at least one more day 2 pick to address the OL, TE , and WR groups.

Meh. The Pats* are good at it, just like they're good at everything. Yes it sucks they're getting 2 third rounders this year, but they let good players walk and they signed big elsewhere. That's how it works. So be it.

Since Belly* took over 19 seasons ago the Pats have had 6 third rounders (including the 2 this year). Their first 3rd rounder wasn't until Belly's* 6th season. Then 4 years after that, and 6 more years after that. Some here are acting like they get them every year. In that time they have also had a whopping 3 fourth rounders and 4 fifth rounders. Everything else has been 6ths and 7ths.

Yes they get more picks than most teams. So do the Ravens. In fact the Ravens are the kings of comp picks. They have received about 10 more picks than any other team even though they didn't even exist as a franchise for the first 2 years of the system. Yet nobody complains that the rules need changing because of the Ravens. We complain because we have sucked for so long. Because the Pats* have owned us for so long. And because the Pats do comp picks, just like everything else, better than we do. 

That doesn't mean the rule is unfair. It means we need to quit sucking and letting the Pats* own us in all phases, not just on game day. The rules have to be the same for everybody. We can't just say, well you guys are too good, you don't get the same rules as the other teams. That's just sour grapes. Start pulling up our boot straps and winning. Then the other teams will complain about us.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Meh. The Pats* are good at it, just like they're good at everything. Yes it sucks they're getting 2 third rounders this year, but they let good players walk and they signed big elsewhere. That's how it works. So be it.

Since Belly* took over 19 seasons ago the Pats have had 6 third rounders (including the 2 this year). Their first 3rd rounder wasn't until Belly's* 6th season. Then 4 years after that, and 6 more years after that. Some here are acting like they get them every year. In that time they have also had a whopping 3 fourth rounders and 4 fifth rounders. Everything else has been 6ths and 7ths.

Yes they get more picks than most teams. So do the Ravens. In fact the Ravens are the kings of comp picks. They have received about 10 more picks than any other team even though they didn't even exist as a franchise for the first 2 years of the system. Yet nobody complains that the rules need changing because of the Ravens. We complain because we have sucked for so long. Because the Pats* have owned us for so long. And because the Pats do comp picks, just like everything else, better than we do. 

That doesn't mean the rule is unfair. It means we need to quit sucking and letting the Pats* own us in all phases, not just on game day. The rules have to be the same for everybody. We can't just say, well you guys are too good, you don't get the same rules as the other teams. That's just sour grapes. Start pulling up our boot straps and winning. Then the other teams will complain about us.

Great post! I do feel that we need to get in front of them whenever and wherever we can.