Hunter Thompsons 10 Best Albums of the 60's

T&C

On 2/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, Logic said:

Great list. A couple new ones on there that I'm gonna check out as soon as I get home from work. Glad to see he included "Workingman's Dead", though I would have chosen "American Beauty" instead. 

A lot of people don't know that Thompson was a big football fan, as well. Diehard 49ers fan. Would go to games and, well...generally act like his usual self, much to the consternation of many around him. When they'd ask him to sit down or stop using so much profanity, he would angrily shout back "This is football. Go to the ***** opera!"

Never has been or will be anyone like him.

That's close... I lean Workingman's Dead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's close... I lean Workingman's Dead.

Totally fair.

American Beauty's themes of death and coping with death really speak to me. Box of Rain and Brokedown Palace are all time favorites.

Also, separately, Candyman is one of the most underrated and one of my all-time favorite Dead songs ever ever ever.

Hard to pick a loser amongst the bunch, though!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, T&C said:

“I resent your assumption that Music is Not My Bag because I’ve been arguing for the past few years that music is the New Literature, that Dylan is the 1960s’ answer to Hemingway, and that the main voice of the ’70s will be on records & videotape instead of books.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/hunter-s-thompsons-top-10-albums-of-the-1960s/?fbclid=IwAR29ZcmiKsuwsSy2RAjzF2cWQIOzzRLwNwcdY1KyFZ-a0JutthlIJmy3A4c

I find it interesting that he put Buffalo Springfield's self titled album on the list.  To me it is not the best Springfield album. 

Left out of this so far is that Robert Hunter was a hell of a writer, they were lucky to have met him.

I really can't pick between AB or WMD... love them both.

After listening to Memphis Underground it was good but nowhere near my top ten. 

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Can you decide between your children? I’ll never chose between American Beauty and Working Man’s Dead, and I can’t even imagine how many other 60’s albums deserve to be high on the list. I will say I have no doubt that the best single year of music ever recorded was 1969. WOW! 

one of my favorite dead tunes.  Stellar album .  

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I find it interesting that he put Buffalo Springfield's self titled album on the list.  To me it is not the best Springfield album. 

I would agree although the first two of the three are pretty damn good. Last time around is pretty damn bad as my ears have told me. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I would agree although the first two of the three are pretty damn good. Last time around is pretty damn bad as my ears have told me. 

I heard and overplayed "Again," so it became the standard for me.  I always thought their first album wasn't quite there although I really like "Do I have to come right out and say it."   The third album was also off but "Kind Woman" is one of their best.   Considering the success of Stills and Young, I have always liked the Furay compositions more.

Also, if Dylan is Hemingway, then Ray Davies must be Dickens.

Edited by Greybeard

• 2 weeks later...

Herbie Mann sounds like all the hip Sesame Street films and cartoons for the first few years.

American Beauty/Reality and Workingman's Dead are the best of the studio output, easily...

This creeped me out when i was 3 or so...

4 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

He knows his stuff, being into Roland Kirk and Dusty Springfield.  But, interestingly, no Beatles.

I found that kind of odd too... would have thought he'd been into Mothers of Invention or Captain Beefheart kind of stuff too but maybe he didn't share the same point of view. 

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

I found that kind of odd too... would have thought he'd been into Mothers of Invention or Captain Beefheart kind of stuff too but maybe he didn't share the same point of view. 

Zappa was very anti-drugs (fired Stevie Vai for smoking pot).  HST was quite the opposite ?

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Mr Van Vliet was also anti-drug?

Good question!  I read that he and Zappa were high school buddies, or neighborhood pals, or something like that.

But if I had to guess, I’d say Beefheart’s inspiration came from some illicit substance.

Never really appreciated his own stuff, but loved him on Bongo Fury.

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Good question!  I read that he and Zappa were high school buddies, or neighborhood pals, or something like that.

But if I had to guess, I’d say Beefheart’s inspiration came from some illicit substance.

Never really appreciated his own stuff, but loved him on Bongo Fury.

Done my best to appreciate Trout Mask Replica but to be honest...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Done my best to appreciate Trout Mask Replica but to be honest...

A lot of people use that album as it is his/their only... and probably because it was produced by FZ. FZ had a lot of fun with guys like the Don... Wild Man Fischer, the GTO's, etc. The odd one to me was producing a Grand Funk Railroad Lp though.

Beefheart before and after TMR has some pretty decent stuff imo.

If The Blimp doesn't make someone laugh nothing will.

• Like (+1) 1