Hunter Thompsons 10 Best Albums of the 60's

T&C

“I resent your assumption that Music is Not My Bag because I’ve been arguing for the past few years that music is the New Literature, that Dylan is the 1960s’ answer to Hemingway, and that the main voice of the ’70s will be on records & videotape instead of books.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/hunter-s-thompsons-top-10-albums-of-the-1960s/?fbclid=IwAR29ZcmiKsuwsSy2RAjzF2cWQIOzzRLwNwcdY1KyFZ-a0JutthlIJmy3A4c

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A pretty solid list.

If you do say so yourself. ✌(it's your list)

My friend Alan was playing golf in Aspen behind Hunter and Ed Bradley from 60 minutes. While waiting for a group on the green Hunter pulled out a shotgun and blew shingles off the roof of a house by the course. Long story short my friend ended up in court testifying against Hunter, who had stashed the gun by the time the cops arrived, while Ed Bradley lied under oath and said it never happened. Hunter got away with it. Alan hated Hunter because he would do ***** up ***** like throw smoke bombs into a crowded Woody Creek tavern and be out in the parking lot laughing his ass off while people, Alan included, spilled out into the lot choking.

I always enjoyed reading his books and articles and that list has some of my favorite albums on it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Thanks for posting.  All excellent choices by my man Hunter!  I have been on a big Hunter S Thompson kick.  I just reread Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail '72 and the Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved.  And this is one of my favorite quotes-

Find & Share Quotes with Friends

Hunter S. Thompson > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Hunter S. Thompson

“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bull####, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

If you do say so yourself. ✌(it's your list)

My friend Alan was playing golf in Aspen behind Hunter and Ed Bradley from 60 minutes. While waiting for a group on the green Hunter pulled out a shotgun and blew shingles off the roof of a house by the course. Long story short my friend ended up in court testifying against Hunter, who had stashed the gun by the time the cops arrived, while Ed Bradley lied under oath and said it never happened. Hunter got away with it. Alan hated Hunter because he would do ***** up ***** like throw smoke bombs into a crowded Woody Creek tavern and be out in the parking lot laughing his ass off while people, Alan included, spilled out into the lot choking.

I always enjoyed reading his books and articles and that list has some of my favorite albums on it.

that's nothing for Hunter.  Look how he celebrated Jack Nickolson's birthday

Edited by Pete
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A pretty solid list.

So without further ado, here’s Hunter S. Thompson’s Top 10: “So for whatever it’s worth–to either one of us, for that matter – here’s the list from Raoul Duke”:

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thanks for posting.  All excellent choices by my man Hunter!  I have been on a big Hunter S Thompson kick.  I just reread Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail '72 and the Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved.  And this is one of my favorite quotes-

Find & Share Quotes with Friends

Hunter S. Thompson > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Hunter S. Thompson

Wow, that’s long, for a favorite quote.  I could never remember that one - too many gin & grapefruits!

My favorite HST quote is...

”When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”

• Like (+1) 1

Great list. A couple new ones on there that I'm gonna check out as soon as I get home from work. Glad to see he included "Workingman's Dead", though I would have chosen "American Beauty" instead. 

A lot of people don't know that Thompson was a big football fan, as well. Diehard 49ers fan. Would go to games and, well...generally act like his usual self, much to the consternation of many around him. When they'd ask him to sit down or stop using so much profanity, he would angrily shout back "This is football. Go to the ***** opera!"

Never has been or will be anyone like him.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Pete said:

So without further ado, here’s Hunter S. Thompson’s Top 10: “So for whatever it’s worth–to either one of us, for that matter – here’s the list from Raoul Duke”:

Ha.....that was before my time. I'm sure I'd be doing a disservice to many bands if I put my list out there.

13 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Ha.....that was before my time. I'm sure I'd be doing a disservice to many bands if I put my list out there.

Probably not man... music is like food, either you like it or you don't. Your list is as good as mine or anybody's, no one is wrong.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Great list. A couple new ones on there that I'm gonna check out as soon as I get home from work. Glad to see he included "Workingman's Dead", though I would have chosen "American Beauty" instead. 

A lot of people don't know that Thompson was a big football fan, as well. Diehard 49ers fan. Would go to games and, well...generally act like his usual self, much to the consternation of many around him. When they'd ask him to sit down or stop using so much profanity, he would angrily shout back "This is football. Go to the ***** opera!"

Never has been or will be anyone like him.

???????? Beauty is one of the greatest records made imo.  And I know it’s blaspheme to my fellow deadheads- but American beauty I prefer sometimes to live dead- it’s that good

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Pete said:

???????? Beauty is one of the greatest records made imo.  And I know it’s blaspheme to my fellow deadheads- but American beauty I prefer sometimes to live dead- it’s that good

Funny this album is mentioned but I picked it up at the flea market on CD 2 weeks ago along with Quadrophenia, After the gold rush, Harvest, Doors american prayer, etc. Ten in total for $10... that was a good day alright.

It really is a great album but I like workingman quite a bit too. I can play these two and the Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo for country music people and they all seem to like it.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, T&C said:

Funny this album is mentioned but I picked it up at the flea market on CD 2 weeks ago along with Quadrophenia, After the gold rush, Harvest, Doors american prayer, etc. Ten in total for $10... that was a good day alright.

It really is a great album but I like workingman quite a bit too. I can play these two and the Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo for country music people and they all seem to like it.

nice choices.  American Prayer is my favorite Doors album.  I dig Jim's artwork on the LP

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, T&C said:

I've listened to a lot of music but never Memphis Underground... will be checking that one out tonight.

Me neither.  And I just did.  It's good, damn good.  I can see why it's Hunter's favorite ever.  Fits his personality perfectly.  Herbie Mann also has the creepiest album cover of all time for Push Push.  The song Push Push features a pretty well known guitarist that died way too young, Duane Allman.  It's a fun little jam.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Love 'em both. Just depends what mood I'm in. 

If I'm looking for raw, balls-to-the-wall electric psychedlia, Live/Dead can't be beat.

If I'm looking to sit on my porch and watch the rain fall and put on a record, American Beauty is tops.

Tomato/potato.

Listening to Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground right now. Only one track in so far, but it's awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Me neither.  And I just did.  It's good, damn good.  I can see why it's Hunter's favorite ever.  Fits his personality perfectly.  Herbie Mann also has the creepiest album cover of all time for Push Push.  The song Push Push features a pretty well known guitarist that died way too young, Duane Allman.  It's a fun little jam.

Have it on now... and as soon as I saw that Larry Coryell was on it I knew it would be good. Reminds me a little bit of Weather Report... sort of. 

Funny story... was at the flea market 2 months ago and snagged Larry Coryell's 2nd album on vinyl... and this was at a sports card show. That is random for sure.

Can you decide between your children? I’ll never chose between American Beauty and Working Man’s Dead, and I can’t even imagine how many other 60’s albums deserve to be high on the list. I will say I have no doubt that the best single year of music ever recorded was 1969. WOW! 

• Like (+1) 1