It's time to draft a TE

BillsVet

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this. I do want the Bills to pick a Tight End. On first look it is a good class. I'd have to be convinced that a guy was the best player on the board to take a tight end in the 1st though. A lot of those TEs mentioned above were 2nd round picks or later. 

Man that would be a real waste imo...much like RB I don’t think there’s any value in taking a tight end in the first. 

Croom played well from what I saw.  Had a great learning year, had a few dozen targets and caught most of em, rose to the occassion when given the chance.  He might very well beat out whoever we draft in training camp.  Has good hands, good size, can run.  

He went undrafted more due to injury concerns than ability.  Had some major ones and missed a lot of time back in school.  

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Man that would be a real waste imo...much like RB I don’t think there’s any value in taking a tight end in the first. 

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but in 2010 we picked C J Spiller in the 1st and Torrel Troup in the 2nd. NE picked Gronkowski in the 2nd.

Would Gronk had made a better value in the 1st for the Bills?

I am with you on the RB ranking, because I think good o-lines make average RB's look great. I am also against taking any of this year's WRs or TEs at the 9th pick, but if the Bills trade down I am fine with a lower 1st or early 2nd if the TE they target is the BPA. People seem ok with drafting from an average crop of WR's in the 1st yet struggle with the idea of grabbing from an above average crop of TE's. Probably has more to do with the fact that we have pressing o-line needs too that are weighing on draft value.

I think there are plenty of solid RT's and a few Guards that will be available from the later 2nd through the 5th. Center I would like to see them fill with a vet if they do not break the bank on one - would have been sold on taking Biadasz early if he declared - he didn't, so have set my hopes on FA.

I've been feeling the Bills will try and trade up from their 2nd round pick most likely for a OT, maybe WR. But if Hockenson is still floating around in the late 20's I'm totally on board with the Bills putting together a package to go up and get him. 

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

Just now, WideNine said:

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but in 2010 we picked C J Spiller in the 1st and Torrel Troup in the 2nd. NE picked Gronkowski in the 2nd.

Would Gronk had made a better value in the 1st for the Bills?

I am with you on the RB ranking, because I think good o-lines make average RB's look great. I am also against taking any of this year's WRs or TEs at the 9th pick, but if the Bills trade down I am fine with a lower 1st or early 2nd if the TE they target is the BPA. People seem ok with drafting from an average crop of WR's in the 1st yet struggle with the idea of grabbing from an above average crop of TE's. Probably has more to do with the fact that we have pressing o-line needs too that are weighing on draft value.

I think there are plenty of solid RT's and a few Guards that will be available from the later 2nd through the 5th. Center I would like to see them fill with a vet if they do not break the bank on one - would have been sold on taking Biadasz early if he declared - he didn't, so have set my hopes on FA.

I didn’t mean value in a player-for-player sense, more position wise. I think it’s way more important, if you want a great offense, to have good wideouts and RBs than it is to have a good TE. And I don’t advocate for drafting RB before the 3rd.

22 hours ago, Augie said:

I fully agree, but I also think I’m higher on Croom than most people. We need to add talent, and Croom needs to learn when he’s no longer going forward to find the stinkin’ ground while holding onto the darn ball! 

Daboll had good things to say about his progress. I suspect he will continue to improve with Allen etc.

Still need to add/improve the TE group imho

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I didn’t mean value in a player-for-player sense, more position wise. I think it’s way more important, if you want a great offense, to have good wideouts and RBs than it is to have a good TE. And I don’t advocate for drafting RB before the 3rd.

I want the Bills to beat NE so badly that I can taste it, but I think success for us will come with balance across the board with our offensive weapons. Last year I did not feel that our RBs or TE's really contributed enough to this concept - some of that was the skill, some of that was the o-line. I think if we fix the o-line, and fix the TE position our offense will have more balance. I would like to see a nice outside receiving threat as well to compliment Foster, but I do not see any that I am sold on as day one guys.

Funny clip from a great coach that always has that hung over look (I love his delusional line) :

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

And generally I agree (well certainly top half of the 1st round). But there are exceptions - just as Zeke and Barkley and Gurley were at running back. You have to be convinced the guy is absolutely the biggest difference maker on the board and to me there are very few Tight Ends who are going to be that inside the first 15 picks of any NFL draft. 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Croom played well from what I saw.  Had a great learning year, had a few dozen targets and caught most of em, rose to the occassion when given the chance.  He might very well beat out whoever we draft in training camp.  Has good hands, good size, can run.  

He went undrafted more due to injury concerns than ability.  Had some major ones and missed a lot of time back in school.  

McBeane will not enter 2019 with Jason Croom as the starter, especially because he has that injury history and they'll seek to have more competition at the position.

Croom also isn't the blocker that I think they're looking for to help establish the running game.   

I think the Bills draft a TE this season(maybe two- 10 picks is fun!), and possibly add a veteran too.  Maybe someone like Maxx Williams?  We need a good blocking TE at the very least

Edited by Pete

19 hours ago, Pete said:

I am guessing you didn’t watch the bills 1988-94?  McKeller was an excellent blocker, and a complete TE, unlike jimmy graham and other too TEs.  Are you familiar with k-gun?

Ha, yeah I had season tickets.

This isn't worth my time...carry on.

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

I agree they need an upgrade at TE and Croom is not that guy, but I do think he can be coached up to fill that larger WR option they wanted from KB. If his combine numbers are accurate he has really good size and speed, comparable to KB's except faster.

I thought he was making progress last year getting open and catching passes, he needs to get more polished with his route running, but there is no reason not to give it time if he is showing progress. 

If the Bills dig into this deep draft and pick up a bona fide TE, I am sure Croom will see less reps so it will sort itself out in regards to how much he can contribute.

Good post.

Croom likely has some potential as a hybrid TE/WR. and did improve enough during the season to keep rooting for him. Still need to acquire two more. One blocker with some hands. and perhaps draft the TE of the future for Bills earlier than later : )