It's time to draft a TE

BillsVet

31 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I guess that eliminates Ernie Warlick Too.

A lot of these posters weren’t around to see ‘Big Hoss’ play in 1965, much less 1962!

Guy made the AFL All Star team all four season he played here.  The CFL All Star team before that.

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Buffalo hasn't used a high pick (rounds 1-3) on a TE since 2005 when they selected Kevin Everett in the 3rd.  Since that time, several teams have featured TE's who create mismatches, can stretch the middle of the field, and provide Allen with a great weapon.  Most of the top offenses feature one who does just this.   

This year's draft offers some solid options and you're not going to find much in free agency.  It's time they use a 2nd or 3rd on a TE.  

Everett might have been great - we’ll never know.  Tragic accident.

Bills have so many needs, I just don’t see them taking a TE on day one, barring a trade down or other draft day machinations.

I could see Jace Sternberger in the 3rd, maybe T.J. Hockenson in the 4th. I really think they’ll wait to take a TE til rounds 4 or 5, when they have 2 picks in each round.

JMO

Edited by The Senator

38 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

"Great"?

You're dreaming

I am guessing you didn’t watch the bills 1988-94?  McKeller was an excellent blocker, and a complete TE, unlike jimmy graham and other too TEs.  Are you familiar with k-gun?

Heck yeah! Get one in the first 3 rounds. Which is why we gotta move down, and get some extra premium picks. 

Gimmie Irv Smith, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, CJ Conrad all day!! All for that, this will really allow our passing game to and running game to open up

16 hours ago, WideNine said:

...and then you went there Weo.

Croom does not fit our true TE needs, but could still be a useful part of the Bills offense, and I don't think his personal life, although awkward, is weighing on coaching decisions to play him or not. 

His measurables are almost identical to KB's, but he is faster and has better hands. He was the goat last year for trying to do too much on a play, but his heart was in the right place. 

His blocking is anywhere from horrifying to work-in-progress, but he can certainly line up as that big TE-sized WR hybrid that KB was supposed to be for the Bills.

I felt like he was coming on as more of a receiving option for Allen towards the end of the year.

Come on, Croom's a nobody.  3rd TE on any team that's carrying 3.

They need to draft TE.  Need at least 2 new TE's on this awful TE roster (as is).

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

Not a priority for many decades for the Bills, lots of other needs ahead of this.

What we need is difference makers and in today NFL other then QB u won't find much positions that make a difference more then a TE. 

If the Bills see TJ Hockenson as the next Kelce then it's a no brainer . Can't find these guys in free agency.  Basically franchise QBs & TEs never hit free agency there to valuable .  With that being said take the guy and fill your "needs" elsewhere. 

19 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

holy moly how long do you expect this rebuild to take?

Pete Metzelaars

But yeah, agreed that has been an empty position for a long time.

Metzelaara and great should never be in the same sentence again.

51 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

McKeller and Metzelaars were good, not great. 

KGun is one of the greatest offenses in NFL history and McKeller's blocking and receiving abilities helped make that offense go.  Kgun is named after McKeller . Keith = K

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on, Croom's a nobody.  3rd TE on any team that's carrying 3.

They need to draft TE.  Need at least 2 new TE's on this awful TE roster (as is).

I agree they need an upgrade at TE and Croom is not that guy, but I do think he can be coached up to fill that larger WR option they wanted from KB. If his combine numbers are accurate he has really good size and speed, comparable to KB's except faster.

I thought he was making progress last year getting open and catching passes, he needs to get more polished with his route running, but there is no reason not to give it time if he is showing progress. 

If the Bills dig into this deep draft and pick up a bona fide TE, I am sure Croom will see less reps so it will sort itself out in regards to how much he can contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, chef4131 said:

Wait a minute I dis agree with this statement 

sincerely,

Reuben Gant

His nickname in my house growing up was “Stone Fingers”—never heard “Reuben Gant” on its own without “Stone Fingers” preceding it.....

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Honestly don't know about this. IMO by far and away the best TE last season was Kittle in SF- they had a mediocre offense albeit one decimated by injuries. Kelce is great and played in a great offense, but Ertz is also great and played in a mediocre one. Ebron is a good TE and played in a good offense, but Cook is also a good TE and played in a bad offense. Rams, Saints, Steelers- all top offenses that manage just fine without a top quality TE. I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

I agree with this. I do want the Bills to pick a Tight End. On first look it is a good class. I'd have to be convinced that a guy was the best player on the board to take a tight end in the 1st though. A lot of those TEs mentioned above were 2nd round picks or later. 

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm not sure how often the Bucs or Steelers line up in 2 TE sets, but just going by these teams it seems to me that having TWO capable tight ends can help diversify your pass offense, but I stand by what I said about RBs playing as important if not more important a role than TEs in the best modern NFL offenses. 

The answer to your question is a lot especially Tampa. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

KGun is one of the greatest offenses in NFL history and McKeller's blocking and receiving abilities helped make that offense go.  Kgun is named after McKeller . Keith = K

That's all true, he was a key weapon in an great offense. That said, as a tight end he was not in the class of a Witton, Gates or a Gronk. Very good but not great.

I began to think more about TE's in this draft when struggling to rank the WR's that were available. I don't think I am that alone this year - Bleacher Report which usually has some strong draft opinions only has N'Keal Harry going before TE's in the 1st... so we are not alone. They have Buffalo taking Bama's Jonah Williams which OBD may talk themselves into - not sure if he is a #9 talent, but could be splitting hairs as most reviews that do not focus on his height (a mere 6' 5") and arm length, cannot deny he has been productive.

Not that every TE is going to be San Fran's Kittle, but at 1377 yards, he was just shy of Tyreek Hill's league leading yards. He also came out of that same Iowa program as Fant and Hockenson and is only in his 2nd year. If we could get close to that level of production out of a TE with some blocking too, that would be a pick well spent.

Kittle went in the 5th round. He was ranked the fifth best tight end prospect in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock, sixth best by NFL analyst Gil Brandt, and was ranked the eighth best tight end by NFLDraftScout.com. Last year he set NFL records so, that tells you a bit about how expert the experts are.

Honestly, it is pretty tough this year to gauge 1st round talent. There are a few really outstanding players, they show up in big games and against good competition. Then you hit a log jam of prospects that all have potential upside. If the Bills stay at their 9th pick I see them taking one of the top defensive talents. If they trade down and pick up an extra 2nd, they could go in any direction with a later 1st round selection: great defensive prospect that fell, offensive lineman, WR, or standout TE (but as others have noted, TE's usually are not taken in the 1st).

I pulled the 1st round TE notable list looks like it was since 2002 from NFL.com (below). I would add Ebron (2014) to the list because apparently Detroit does not know how to use a TE and Indy does as he had a pro-bowl year in his new system and O. J. Howard has been productive for Tampa. Gronk was a second rounder with 1st round value... if Hock gets through the first, he would be worth the second round look.

Kittle's success has teams looking more closely at TE's coming out of that Iowa program so Fant and Hock will both go this year - just a matter of where.  The Patriots dipped into the 1st twice and the 2nd round once for TE's this past decade, Iowa's program is run by a former Patriot's TE coach, so it is not inconceivable that they will do so again with their 1st or 2nd pick. One way to extend the noodle arm of Brady is to have someone like Hockenson as an outlet receiver. That being said, it has been a while since a notable TE has been taken in the 1st.

As you look through draft sites now as opposed to a month ago most have a 1-2 round grade on Hockenson. If we miss on him I also like the kid from San Diego too Josh Oliver. He is a very fluid runner and has great balance, the book on him is that he has great hands and is a former basketball standout. Came from Allen's neck of the woods in California so perhaps they would get along on and off the field. Would have to work on his blocking, but I like his upside as a later round option.

* O. J. Howard, Tampa Bay

1. Vernon Davis, 49ers (No. 6, 2006)
2. Dallas Clark, Colts (No. 24, 2003)
3. Heath Miller, Steelers (No. 30, 2005)
4. Kellen Winslow, Browns (No. 6. 2004)
5. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (No. 20, 2009)
6. Jeremy Shockey, Giants (No. 14, 2002)
7. Dustin Keller, Jets (No. 30, 2008)
8. Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars (No. 28, 2006)
9. Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (No. 21, 2010)
10. Daniel Graham, Patriots (No. 21, 2002)
11. Greg Olsen, Bears (No. 31, 2007)
12. Ben Watson, Patriots (No. 32, 2004)
13. Jerramy Stevens, (No. 28, 2002)

Edited by WideNine