Would/could the Bills go for another Houston former number one overall pick in FA?

njbuff

The Texans will have $70MM in cap space this season.  I don't see them letting Clowney walk with J.J. Watt's back in the shape it is.  Watt is going into his ninth season, that's already a long career for a defensive end.  You have to wonder how much gas he has left in his tank especially with him already having had multiple back surgeries.  I could see Watt hanging it up in the next a year or two. 

Clowney won't make it to free agency.

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh my god please no to Clowney, 1) he will cost waaay too much and 2) he and Hughes on the same line would be a very bad combination, both have a hair trigger on off sides and jumping the gun

Interesting. Hughes didn't do so bad with that this past season, if I remember correctly. He also had fewer unsportsmanlike conducts I think.

I think Hughes needs a dominant guy on the other side. He's not the type that can be dominant himself. But pair him with Clowney and I bet you'd see a huge uptick in production from Hughes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Texans will have $70MM in cap space this season.  I don't see them letting Clowney walk with J.J. Watt's back in the shape it is.  Watt is going into his ninth season, that's already a long career for a defensive end.  You have to wonder how much gas he has left in his tank especially with him already having had multiple back surgeries.  I could see Watt hanging it up in the next a year or two. 

Clowney won't make it to free agency.

Sounds like we should trade for JJ and Kuechly... 

18 hours ago, brianthomas said:

I'd be down to make a move like this had it not been for our signing of Trent Murphy. We already have an underperforming high priced DE on our team. I didnt like that pick up when we made it & today I hate it even more. But because of that move it pretty much makes potential signings of Clowney or Lawrence impossible from a salary cap standpoint. Sure technically you may be able to do it, but investing that much more money into that one area isn't necessarily wise imo.

If only we could go back & stop that from happening haha. Close to $9 million for a guy who plays 40% of the snaps, and thats when he's healthy enuff to be on the field.

The way i see it, the only thing we can do is hope this year he turns it around & we draft another edge rusher who can compete for starting time this year

Actually that’s not accurate.  One we have more cap room than we will spend, we have the space if they want to sign a big contract like Clowney or Lawerence.  Second, Murphy’s contract is very easy and cheap to get out of if the Bills want to.  It was structured essentially in a way the Bills could undo it this year if they decide.

So Murphys deal won’t prevent them from signing either of these guys.  Doesn’t mean they will sign either, but that decision won’t have anything to do with Murphy’s contract so you don’t have to hate him extra for it :)

• Like (+1) 1

I respectfully disagree with going after Clowney.

He would be very expensive, and yes he can pass rush, but I have seen get pushed around a number of times.

I would rather have the cap space and someone who has less ability than him than chunking up 20+ million in cap space for a pass rusher who is suspect.

EDIT 1:  I guess in getting down to the nuts and bolts of it I would only pay 20+ million at any (certain) position for real franchise players, not players who we think are franchise players.

Meaning, if Mario was the league's highest paid Defensive player  I'd also want him to be the best...he wasn't.

Meaning, If Dareus was at or near the league's highest paid Defensive player I'd also want him to be at or near the best...save for flashes he wasn't.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Actually that’s not accurate.  One we have more cap room than we will spend, we have the space if they want to sign a big contract like Clowney or Lawerence.  Second, Murphy’s contract is very easy and cheap to get out of if the Bills want to.  It was structured essentially in a way the Bills could undo it this year if they decide.

So Murphys deal won’t prevent them from signing either of these guys.  Doesn’t mean they will sign either, but that decision won’t have anything to do with Murphy’s contract so you don’t have to hate him extra for it :)

I’d cut Murphy and sign Lawrence. I loved Clowney while he was in college but he hasn’t been great as a pro. 

I want Flowers but I think NE is going to pay him. Gronk and the Courty twins all sound like they are retiring. Should free up plenty of money and they’d be wise to pay him. 

Either way, get Hughes some damn help this year!

• Like (+1) 1