Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres are 16 or 18 pts better and fall short of the 20 or plus points improvement what does it matter? To bluntly answer your question: will not meeting the benchmark change my position. I say absolutely not!  You are missing the point in interpreting what I have incessantly stated. The critical issue is the current talent level of this roster and what needs to be done to add to it. I'm not fixated as much on making the playoffs as some are. I'm more interested in to what extent are the younger players getting better. I'm also very interested in the improvement of the prospects in Rochester. 

While you and some of your fellow zealots want Housley dispatched I don't. My position is that this franchise has gone through too many staffing changes that it has destabilized an already unstable franchise. The coaching issue can be delayed because that isn't the primary issue bedeviling this franchise. The core problem is the lack of talent. Address that issue and then address the coaching issue. What I'm saying is that your bogeyman isn't my bogeyman i.e.. Housley. 

It’s interesting to see how your bar keeps lowering as the season wears on. 

It went from being happy to contend for a playoff spot, to a 25 point improvement, to a 20-25 point improvement, and now to a 16-18 point improvement as being an acceptable barometer of progress. 

I guess when a team is the first in league history to finish in 31st place with 62 points, then any incremental improvement is acceptable. 

We shoulda stuck with Rolston. 

To my question, is it possible for a coach to be a bad coach even if he has poor players?

Edited by K-9

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s interesting to see how your bar keeps lowering as the season wears on.

It went from being happy to contend for a playoff spot, to a 25 point improvement, to a 20-25 point improvement, and now to a 16-18 point improvement as being an acceptable barometer of progress. 

I guess when a team is the first in league history to finish in 31st place with 62 points, then any incremental improvement is acceptable. 

We shoulda stuck with Rolston. 

To my question, is it possible for a coach to be a bad coach even if he has poor players?

With respect to your first question the assessment of one's team definitely can and should change after you have seen your team play 3/4 of the season compared to when it starts the season. What's so surprising about that? That's common sense. The more you see allows you to make a more accurate evaluation. 

With respect to your question about the coach of course a coach can be bad with poor players. And the corollary is that a good coach can have bad players and still do a good job without it necessarily being reflected by the team's record. I can't say that Housley is a good coach; and I can't say that he is a bad coach. You are more ready to make a determination on him than I am at this point. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-rodrigues-getting-chance-eichel

Rodrigues getting a chance on eichel’s wing. It’ll be 8nterestinf to see if they can rekindle any of that chemistry they had in college. 

ERod did extremely well in the handful of games he played with Eichel and Reinhart last year. You’ll have to ask Housley why he broke them up. Regardless, it’s a good move. Pommers simply can’t skate with Eichel and Skinner for a whole game. A shift here and there, fine. Eichel should be seeing an occasional shift with the middle six as well. 

Edited by K-9

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

So you can’t provide an answer to K-9 that Housley is doing a good job as coach. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

He’s not a cerebral coach. 

We need Nelson back ASAP or any other RH Dman. It’s a disadvantage to have Dmen playing on their off hand. 

I like Nelson as a 5th or 6th option.

I think Wilson would help, too.

Also, trade for Simonds and sign him to an extension. 

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

The HC and GM need to be fired, after that presser yesterday they should be embarrassed to put that product on the ice. 

I didn’t hear the presser, but I just read a few of his comments. 

I now have concerns about Botterill as well. 

Not because he’s retaining Housley as I can understand that in his position as GM. Rather, it’s his hackneyed rhetoric about “being in games” that has me worried. This team has “been in games” and “competing” hard for years. They were “in games” last year and under Bylsma, too. Indeed, the second half of Bylsma’s first season saw the team play at a 96 point pace for an entire season. Something Housley hasn’t come close to replicating, even with much of the same team Bylsma team last year. 

“Being in games” and “competing” is the BARE minimum for admittance to the league and not some achievement to be celebrated. Every team competes hard on most nights over a long season.This idea of “being in games” and “competing” is a loser’s lament. A sign that the people in charge are confusing effort with results which is a huge cause for concern.

It is also a huge slap in the face and an insult to the intelligence of the fan base. 

Lets see how patient Botterill remains if the season continues at the same 11-18-5 post streak pace to finish out the year. 

Edited by K-9

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I didn’t hear the presser, but I just read a few of his comments. 

I now have concerns about Botterill as well. 

Not because he’s retaining Housley as I can understand that in his position as GM. Rather, it’s his hackneyed rhetoric about “being in games” that has me worried. This team has “been in games” and “competing” hard for years. They were “in games” last year and under Bylsma, too. Indeed, the second half of Bylsma’s first season saw the team play at a 96 point pace for an entire season. Something Housley hasn’t come close to replicating, even with much of the same team Bylsma team last year. 

“Being in games” and “competing” is the BARE minimum for admittance to the league and not some achievement to be celebrated. Every team competes hard on most nights over a long season.This idea that “being in games” and “competing” is a loser’s lament. A sign that the people in charge are confusing effort with results which is a huge cause for concern.

It is also a huge slap in the face and an insult to the intelligence of the fan base. 

Lets see how patient Botterill remains if the season continues at the same 11-18-5 post streak pace to finish out the year. 

If you are Skinner's agent right now..$10Mx8?????.  

This is another big problem with the continued losing and inactivity...what if the Sabres lose tonight..prolly smattering of boos on Saturday..lose the next two on the road, then come to play the Penguins on a Friday night, 2/3 capacity and a good portion in attendance  Penguin fans, lots o drunk people on a Friday night...that place could be hostile smack in the middle of 7 game winless streak

This losing and the fans turning hard= Vanek Offer Sheet ...how does JBOTS say no to anything his agent asks for?

Can you just imagine this squad if Skinner walks?  6K season tickets next year?

All that being said , I just but a litttle sumpin  sumpin on the Sabres +215 tonight..just got a feeling 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Bring Borgen up, Sabres could use some old time hockey. Can’t win any other way, worth a try

The team is already carrying 85 defensemen on the roster and you want to bring up another one?  Maybe we can strap some goalie pads on one of them and finally find someone to block a few pucks.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

The team is already carrying 85 defensemen on the roster and you want to bring up another one?  Maybe we can strap some goalie pads on one of them and finally find someone to block a few pucks.

I just want someone who might supply some entertainment value. I still like fights LOL

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I just want someone who might supply some entertainment value. I still like fights LOL

I just hope a fight or two doesn't give you any level of satisfaction after another 6-2 loss.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

If you are Skinner's agent right now..$10Mx8?????.  

This is another big problem with the continued losing and inactivity...what if the Sabres lose tonight..prolly smattering of boos on Saturday..lose the next two on the road, then come to play the Penguins on a Friday night, 2/3 capacity and a good portion in attendance  Penguin fans, lots o drunk people on a Friday night...that place could be hostile smack in the middle of 7 game winless streak

This losing and the fans turning hard= Vanek Offer Sheet ...how does JBOTS say no to anything his agent asks for?

Can you just imagine this squad if Skinner walks?  6K season tickets next year?

All that being said , I just but a litttle sumpin  sumpin on the Sabres +215 tonight..just got a feeling 

Good luck with your wager. 

I think it it depends on our start because if the ‘Ning start hard and fast, I can see this team folding like the cheap tent they resemble. Then again, this fragile group doesn’t handle prosperity very well, either, as the season long let down of giving up quick goals after scoring continues as well. 

We’ve played them tough this season. But that was before the true nature of this team was revealed. If Housley doesn’t have answers for the Devils and Panthers of this league, I gotta think he’d be completely befuddled by the likes of Tampa Bay. 

Im sorry. I forgot. It’s ENTIRELY the players’ fault for any unsuccessful outcomes this year. The coach actually has little to do with it. Other than making sure they “compete” and are “in the game” late in the third. It’s almst like the quit job against the Blackhawks during the recent home stand never happened. 

The attached link is a WGR interview with Chris Taylor, the coach of the Amerks. This is a 16 min. segment. He talks about some players and how he is approaching his job as an AHL coach. The advantage of keeping players down on the farm rather than bringing them up is the playing time. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-21-amerks-head-coach-chris-taylor-instigators

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Me too.

It's not just about fighting or a lack of it.  It's the total lack of competitive fire.  The average regular season NHL game now has the same level of competitiveness and drama as some pre-season exhibition match in whatever sport you care to mention.   Boring.

Then the playoffs come around, everything gets ramps up 10,000%, and the game becomes watchable again.

It's not just a question of fighting vs. no fighting.  It's intensity, shoving matches after whistles, players growing to hate one another...the games now are nothing like what they used to be on a lot of nights.