Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

if the Amerks crap out here, especially if they get swept.... I don't believe there is any way they can sell that "hire" to the fans and media.

Any GM who makes such an important coaching decision based on what the fans and media think should be summarily fired. If the GM believes that the AHL coach is the best coach for his NHL team then he should be hired. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be hired for the position. 

I don't know who eventually is going to be hired. What the GM is probably going to do is wait for the playoffs to finish and then evaluate the larger pool of candidates. Whoever he believes is the best coaching fit for his roster is the coach he should hire. The opinions of the very often dopey and zany fans should be the least of his concerns. And the same zero consideration should be given to the media. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That looks just like Ullmark last year.    Poor / soft defensive zone play looks similar as well. 

2018 AHL Playoffs

Name Team GP Min GA SO GAA W L SVS SA SV%
1   Linus Ullmark RCH 3 174:32 16 0 5.50 0 3 64 80 0.800
    Empty Net   3 5:28 2   21.95       2  
    Totals   3 180:00 18 0 6.00 0 3 64 82 0.780

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

That looks just like Ullmark last year.    Poor / soft defensive zone play looks similar as well. 

2018 AHL Playoffs

Name Team GP Min GA SO GAA W L SVS SA SV%
1   Linus Ullmark RCH 3 174:32 16 0 5.50 0 3 64 80 0.800
    Empty Net   3 5:28 2   21.95       2  
    Totals   3 180:00 18 0 6.00 0 3 64 82 0.780

I had the same thought about their d zone coverage. Same with all the odd man rushes against. It looked just like a Sabres game! lol 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Any GM who makes such an important coaching decision based on what the fans and media think should be summarily fired. If the GM believes that the AHL coach is the best coach for his NHL team then he should be hired. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be hired for the position. 

I don't know who eventually is going to be hired. What the GM is probably going to do is wait for the playoffs to finish and then evaluate the larger pool of candidates. Whoever he believes is the best coaching fit for his roster is the coach he should hire. The opinions of the very often dopey and zany fans should be the least of his concerns. And the same zero consideration should be given to the media. 

Your post makes the assumption Botts is aware he needs to hire a coach but this is golf season.  Don't assume.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Your post makes the assumption Botts is aware he needs to hire a coach but this is golf season.  Don't assume.

Congratulations! You easily passed the incomparable Plezmd1 with your stupendous negativity. I didn't think anyone could surpass the dour Plezmd1 with his Himalayan mountain amount of negativism. You easily climbed that mountain without even using a safety rope. You are a natural. Again, congratulations on your crown achievement. ?

?     Shocking! lol 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Randy Sexton, the GM of the Amerks, was on WGR talking about the prospects. It is a very optimistic assessment of the players. Patience is the operative word. This is a 15 minute segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-23-amrerks-general-manager-randy-sexton-howard-and-jeremy

I have t listened yet, but Randy Sexton is usually a very good public speaker and comes off as a smart hockey man.

For me, he actually inspires more confidence than Botterill’s interviews usually do. Botterill struggles with public speaking though.

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

?     Shocking! lol 

I have t listened yet, but Randy Sexton is usually a very good public speaker and comes off as a smart hockey man.

For me, he actually inspires more confidence than Botterill’s interviews usually do. Botterill struggles with public speaking though.

Although Botterill is much more bland than most when communicating it is understandable why he can't be forthright when discussing how his players and coaches are doing. It wouldn't be very productive for him to say exactly what he is thinking in specific terms when discussing the team. That is not to say that he is communicating his concerns to the appropriate parties in private.  Without question Botts is not a scintillating personality or captivating speaker. Those are issues of style compared to issues of substance. What counts is how analytical is he and can he execute his vision of how a team should be constructed. 

I liked Bogosian's game this year. However, his accumulation of injuries and surgeries has to put his career in jeopardy. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Although Botterill is much more bland than most when communicating it is understandable why he can't be forthright when discussing how his players and coaches are doing. It wouldn't be very productive for him to say exactly what he is thinking in specific terms when discussing the team. That is not to say that he is communicating his concerns to the appropriate parties in private.  Without question Botts is not a scintillating personality or captivating speaker. Those are issues of style compared to issues of substance. What counts is how analytical is he and can he execute his vision of how a team should be constructed. 

I liked Bogosian's game this year. However, his accumulation of injuries and surgeries has to put his career in jeopardy. 

I agree. All I care about is how well he does his job. 

They would be crazy to rely on Bogosian being healthy again for the majority of next season. Odds seem to be against that. 

IMO that has to be factored into any potential Ristolainen trade. The way I see it, as of right now we have 2 good RH defenseman on the roster for next season - Montour and Risto. Nelson is a 6/7 and Bogo can’t stay healthy.

You can’t trade Risto without somehow getting someone to fill that void. 

Frankly, Botterill has stunk.  He is going to get another year, but his list of acquisitions is looking pathetic, and the returns for Kane and OReilly are/were underwhelming.  Not to mention they gave up assets on an upcoming UFA who may walk. 

This will be his 3rd offseason and 3rd season, and if the team remains below where they were under Murray/Bylsma, Botterill needs to be kicked to the curb.  

NHL Players acquired:

Scandella

Beaulieau

Pominville

Wilson

Sobotka

Berglund

Thompson

Sheary

Hunwick

Elie

Hutton

Pouliot

Josefson

Tenneyson

Jury is out on Montour.  Was panned by the analytics crowd and cost a 1st and Guhle.  

Edited by May Day 10

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree. All I care about is how well he does his job. 

They would be crazy to rely on Bogosian being healthy again for the majority of next season. Odds seem to be against that. 

IMO that has to be factored into any potential Ristolainen trade. The way I see it, as of right now we have 2 good RH defenseman on the roster for next season - Montour and Risto. Nelson is a 6/7 and Bogo can’t stay healthy.

You can’t trade Risto without somehow getting someone to fill that void. 

I was open to trading Risto for second-line players. Now I am less so. It's easier to get forwards through trades and free agency than it is to get top two pairing defenseman. My complaint with Risto is that he tends to lose his focus and discipline. He can be easily provoked into losing sight of his responsibilities. Part of the problem is that he plays too many minutes. I'm thinking/hoping that few minutes might translate into few lapses.

Next year I seen Pilut and maybe Borgen added to the mix. Compared to a few years ago our defensive corps has been upgraded. That is not to say that there doesn't need more to do with that unit.  Some people (K-9) have a scathing view of Scandella. As a third pairing blue line player I have no problem with him.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Randy Sexton, the GM of the Amerks, was on WGR talking about the prospects. It is a very optimistic assessment of the players. Patience is the operative word. This is a 15 minute segment. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/04-23-amrerks-general-manager-randy-sexton-howard-and-jeremy

We haven't been patient enough. Seattle makes playoffs, Buffalo makes playoffs, Notre Dame repaired.  Which happens first?

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

We haven't been patient enough. Seattle makes playoffs, Buffalo makes playoffs, Notre Dame repaired.  Which happens first?

What are you suggesting that the owner should do? Fire everyone and start all over again? Do you want all the players to be dealt? What solutions are you offering?  

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who's even worth anything?

If you don't think that Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner (if he signs), Dahlin, Risto, Montour don't have value then you are residing on the same cloudy planet that 4merper4mer resides in. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you don't think that Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner (if he signs), Dahlin, Risto, Montour don't have value then you are residing on the same cloudy planet that 4merper4mer resides in. 

I kinda think 4merper4mer is communicating from a black hole.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I kinda think 4merper4mer is communicating from a black hole.

That black hole that he and a few of his depressing colleagues reside in is so far out there that they are unreachable. They take negativity to levels never seen before. Plezmd1 is an unbridled optimist compared to these cast of characters. 

• Haha (+1) 1