New York State abortion bill now allows babies, At any point of pregnancy, to be aborted

Beast

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

stay that way....

richardhead. he was being honest in a nice way and you double down on your schtick? he is not alone in being befuddled from time to time from the meanderings that fall out of your fingertips.

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

Shall equals must in most circumstances (its not me proclaiming it, its just a fact).  Including that proposed bill (and the statute that exists).  So in your example, shall not be infringed generally would mean must not be infringed.  But I don't really know specifically what you are talking about.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

I know very little about interpreting the constitution, but my assumption is shall would mean must.  I'm not as confident about that relative to the virginia bill though.  

8 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I know very little about interpreting the constitution, but my assumption is shall would mean must.  I'm not as confident about that relative to the virginia bill though.  

If the feds are changing out "shall" for "must" to further clarify language I would question why VA would go from "must" to "shall". Seems like it is simply to provide wiggle room. I mean, why change it at all?

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

If the feds are changing out "shall" for "must" to further clarify language I would question why VA would go from "must" to "shall". Seems like it is simply to provide wiggle room. I mean, why change it at all?

I think I may have explained something incorrectly!  I don't think the feds are changing "shall" to "must."  I just meant that for the second amendment, the word "shall" looks to be the equivalent of "must."  But I am not sure because its tough to assume anything about the constitution.  I believe the word "shall" is much more common across both federal and state laws.

And virginia isn't switching from "must" to "shall."  It already mainly uses "shall."  The abortion bill already used the word shall around 80 times or so (just using control F, could be off).  It used the word "must" once. My explanation for why that "must" was being revised to "shall" was to keep it consistent with the rest of the statute.  

Geesh that's a mouthful and I doubt it made sense.  But I am confident that the proposed "shall" in the proposed virginia bill meant must, and it was just being changed to "shall" because that is the word the rest of the statute used.  Basically, the two words mean the same in the virginia bill!

36 minutes ago, Foxx said:

richardhead. he was being honest in a nice way and you double down on your schtick? he is not alone in being befuddled from time to time from the meanderings that fall out of your fingertips.

okay...........

the theory was that Dahmer was hooking up in gay bars and then murdered his hookups

a lot of the families were very strident in asserting that there was no way their murdered son did that kind of thing, hooking up they meant.

Geraldo on his show brought on the brother of one of the victims and then proceeded to have a large picture of Dahmer descend from the ceiling so the brother could comment on his fellings about the murderer. The brother was really not into doing this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I think I may have explained something incorrectly!  I don't think the feds are changing "shall" to "must."  I just meant that for the second amendment, the word "shall" looks to be the equivalent of "must."  But I am not sure because its tough to assume anything about the constitution.  I believe the word "shall" is much more common across both federal and state laws.

And virginia isn't switching from "must" to "shall."  It already mainly uses "shall."  The abortion bill already used the word shall around 80 times or so (just using control F, could be off).  It used the word "must" once. My explanation for why that "must" was being revised to "shall" was to keep it consistent with the rest of the statute.  

Geesh that's a mouthful and I doubt it made sense.  But I am confident that the proposed "shall" in the proposed virginia bill meant must, and it was just being changed to "shall" because that is the word the rest of the statute used.  Basically, the two words mean the same in the virginia bill!

I was referring to Foxx's explanation in the last post on the previous page in this thread.

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I was referring to Foxx's explanation in the last post on the previous page in this thread.

Oh gotcha, I missed that.

I saw B-man post the same thing about the Supreme Court saying shall equals may, which is really misleading because (1) that doesn't apply to virginia statutes and (2) it depends on the federal statute.  many of the "shall"s in federal statutes still mean must, not may.  

But I wasn't aware of the federal government's switch to must, which is good to avoid all this confusion.  I mentioned a few pages ago that my state, Minnesota, is going through a switch as well.  I think I said it was going from "must" to "shall," but I could have it backwards.  And when I was in school, I was taught the meaning of shall depends on the statute.  My only personal experience is that "shall" is much more common than "must" at the federal and state level, and generally means must.  The plain language movement as a whole is very new.  

But to your main point, I strongly disagree the switch from must to shall in the VA bill was to provide more wiggle room for the same reasons I mentioned before.  I don't think there can be much debate on it.  The fact the statute uses shall so many times in a mandatory sense is critical.  

Edited by Crayola64

Suuuuurrrrre..............Profiles in Courage

17CvdWBF_bigger.jpgHenry Rodgers‏ @henryrodgersdc
FollowFollow @henryrodgersdc

I just spoke with over 10 Democratic Senators in the past 2 hours. Not one of them would acknowledge @GovernorVA's comments on late-term abortion. Everyone of them denied ever hearing them.

1:45 PM - 31 Jan 2019

Political Cartoons by Bob Gorrell

Political Cartoons by Tom Stiglich

Edited by B-Man

Money well-invested.

Thumbnail

Replying to @danieltobin @justanurse25

My 30 weeker just hours after getting off the vent & my first time holding her. We had to tap her to remind her to breathe. She was and still is my fighter. She’s 24 now

.DySDoWdXcAIjinu.jpg

Edited by B-Man
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Once again the hysteria of the left bites them in the ass. You'd think they'd learn a lesson after their #metoo hysteria cost them Al Franken's seat.

But no. 

Time for Northam to resign for something he didn't do!!! It's the leftist way!!!

Dumbasses.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/31/2019 at 3:32 PM, Foxx said:

On 1/31/2019 at 4:00 PM, row_33 said:

okay...........

the theory was that Dahmer was hooking up in gay bars and then murdered his hookups

a lot of the families were very strident in asserting that there was no way their murdered son did that kind of thing, hooking up they meant.

Geraldo on his show brought on the brother of one of the victims and then proceeded to have a large picture of Dahmer descend from the ceiling so the brother could comment on his fellings about the murderer. The brother was really not into doing this.

I was serious in saying I wasn't familiar with the reference, and while i thought your reply was sort of odd I really don't take much personally here.  I mean it may be personal when WWinP responds, he may indeed think I'm a redneck, but that's his business, not mine. I don't care.

Anyway, I now know the reference and wish I did not. Damn you, row_33, damn you to hell. ?

Foxx, all good my man. 

• Like (+1) 1

This just in...Democrats insist Northam MUST RESIGN!!

"If Covington students must pay for the sins of others, so must Northam!" they all yelled!!!

Only kidding.

Naturally, they're okay with what he did. At least the left is starting to remember their party was the party of slavery and the KKK.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This just in...Democrats insist Northam MUST RESIGN!!

"If Covington students must pay for the sins of others, so must Northam!" they all yelled!!!

Only kidding.

Naturally, they're okay with what he did. At least the left is starting to remember their party was the party of slavery and the KKK.

their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

• Like (+1) 1