Do you do it yourself ???

mead107

I try to do most things myself, but I know my limits and things i wouldnt do myself.

Just last year I had a new roof put on the house, I could have done it but it's a 2 story house and for safety thought I would leave it to a pro to go up there. Had a boiler and water heater replaced, again, better a pro do that. The exterior walls of my house are concrete block, I let someone install a patio door in the back where there was no opening instead of attempting it myself, but this spring i will replace my existing front and side door myself.

I have done gardens and decks outside, ran new wiring and plugs, changed fixtures, ran plumbing, drywalled, etc all before on my own. I like doing that kind of work.

I used to work on my vehicles myself too, rebuilt a motor, replaced transmissions and other parts, but mostly because I owned older cars. When I bought my new truck I have had it serviced at shops, but mostly because of not wanting to void any warranties. 

20 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just be glad it wasnt his G string that snapped.......

I’m even happier that I don’t have to SEE HIM in a G string! 

My wife and I got a buddy (who happened to be about 60 pounds overweight) a little red speedo as a joke when he said he was going to swim for exercise to drop the weight. To his family’s horror, he actually wears it in the spa at home! I had no way of knowing how my actions would scar that poor family!  ?

He liked that it didn’t fill up with bubbles, he said. 

29 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just be glad it wasnt his G string that snapped.......

I change my G string every six months.

While I'm at it, I also change my e, B, D, A, and E strings.

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I try to do most things myself, but I know my limits and things i wouldnt do myself.

Just last year I had a new roof put on the house, I could have done it but it's a 2 story house and for safety thought I would leave it to a pro to go up there. Had a boiler and water heater replaced, again, better a pro do that. The exterior walls of my house are concrete block, I let someone install a patio door in the back where there was no opening instead of attempting it myself, but this spring i will replace my existing front and side door myself.

I have done gardens and decks outside, ran new wiring and plugs, changed fixtures, ran plumbing, drywalled, etc all before on my own. I like doing that kind of work.

I used to work on my vehicles myself too, rebuilt a motor, replaced transmissions and other parts, but mostly because I owned older cars. When I bought my new truck I have had it serviced at shops, but mostly because of not wanting to void any warranties. 

Our roof could use replacing and I'm tempted to do it myself but don't trust my back. When it tightens up, my legs turn to jello, and that's not a good thing when you're on a roof. I suppose I could use a safety harness but I'd probably be up there a week before being rescued.

I replaced our hot water heater a year ago. When the old one went 10 years ago, I had a client who owed me money install it. But this was New Year's day and I didn't want to ruin his New Year. I don't like messing with natural gas fittings and I'd never sweated a copper line before.

If any plumber, contractor, service tech, handyman or anyone who has ever sweated a copper joint would look at it, they'd laugh. I probably used a half spool of solder on it. But it held and is still holding.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, Gugny said:

Around the house, I do pretty much everything myself.  Plumbing, electrical, painting, staining, gutters, snow removal, lawn maintenance.

The only thing I do with my car is change the air filter, put air in the tires and fill the windshield washer fluid.  It's not even close to cost effective to change my own oil.  I pay $20 every 5-7 thousand miles.  I don't trust myself to do brakes or anything else, so I'm fine paying the pros.

Pads and rotors on a car is an easy job and you'll save HUNDRED$.

if *i* can do it, you can do it.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's pretty clear to me now that few of you read my posts, since no one so much as blinked at "set my own broken ankle."  

Can you really blame us?

52 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I won't mess with the garage door torsion spring.  Those things scare the Bejesus out of me!

43 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Even DC Tom wouldn't go there.

I think this is how he broke his ankle.

6 hours ago, CookieG said:

Our roof could use replacing and I'm tempted to do it myself but don't trust my back. When it tightens up, my legs turn to jello, and that's not a good thing when you're on a roof. I suppose I could use a safety harness but I'd probably be up there a week before being rescued.

I replaced our hot water heater a year ago. When the old one went 10 years ago, I had a client who owed me money install it. But this was New Year's day and I didn't want to ruin his New Year. I don't like messing with natural gas fittings and I'd never sweated a copper line before.

If any plumber, contractor, service tech, handyman or anyone who has ever sweated a copper joint would look at it, they'd laugh. I probably used a half spool of solder on it. But it held and is still holding.

I have soldered electrical connections Nd copper pipes, not that difficult. I just would be hesitant doing a HWT because of the natural gas connection. I'm sure I could do it, just rather not risk a potential leak or issue.....We had the boiler and water heater replaced with a combo unit/instant hot water

The only thing I have not wanted to do on my own vehicle was installing a remote start. Too much wiring and potential risk to mess up.

For the Do It Yourselfers    Buy a Home for  €1

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html  

The new owners must commit to refurbish their choice of the crumbling 40 to 150-square meter dwellings within three years, at a cost starting from €15,000 (about $17,200). 

They'll also need to cough up a €5,000 security deposit that will be returned once the restyle is complete. 

The small town of Sambuca on Sicily

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

For the Do It Yourselfers    Buy a Home for  €1

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html  

The new owners must commit to refurbish their choice of the crumbling 40 to 150-square meter dwellings within three years, at a cost starting from €15,000 (about $17,200). 

They'll also need to cough up a €5,000 security deposit that will be returned once the restyle is complete. 

The small town of Sambuca on Sicily

Now that's freaking SWEET. I wonder what the barriers would be to an american doing that

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Now that's freaking SWEET. I wonder what the barriers would be to an american doing that

I don’t know. 

My gramps came over from Sicily so I’m not that far removed from a native.  

Americans buy property overseas so I don’t see it as a show stopper 

A winter villa and summer rental 

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don’t know. 

My gramps came over from Sicily so I’m not that far removed from a native.  

Americans buy property overseas so I don’t see it as a show stopper 

A winter villa and summer rental 

I have heard of some of these before and some put in restrictions, like they must be used as a full time residence, they don't want to just have them turned into vacation rentals.

• Like (+1) 1

Plumbing, HVAC, windows, decks, lawn, auto, snow, electrical, house remodel including kitchen...all me while working way too much.  Only ended up in the hospital once hahah.  Grew up in a family of mechanics but I prefer to drop my vehicles off at a buddy's shop to have them fixed. Laying on concrete or a creeper in my garage sucks a little more with each passing year.  I'm about ready to start paying a house keeper, and I will hang myself before I do any more roofing.  I went to college to stop doing hard work. 

Edited by CoudyBills