The GAME when you knew the Bills HC wasn't the guy!

PUNT750

24 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Bills vs titans. In 06 I think. Vince Young ran all over us but we were down 1 or 2 at the end. Dick Jauron opts for jp to throw to Josh reed (who was interfered with) on 4th down instead of kicking a 40 something yard fg. Dick blamed the wind being too strong for the decision. We were sitting in that end zone and it wasn't very windy at all. 

Was that the game where Jauron said that he looked into Lindell eyes and somehow knew that "He didn't have it" so he didn't kick the FG?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'll go back to Wade 

Wade - 2000 week 15  vs the Colts when the Bills were still in the playoff race and Wade said "we're out of it", basically gave up.

Gregg - I knew this guy was a blowhard even before he started his first game, when at his opening press conference, he told us that "this team can win the SB" and then proceeded to go 3-13. Something about him didn't pass the smell test even BEFORE the season started.

Mularkey - Week 17 in 2004. With the playoffs on the line, Mularkey loses to the Steelers scrubs in the last game of the season.

Jauron-  week 11 in 2007. The Pats destroyed the Bills and kept going for 2 after every TD, just to be Aholes. They also left Brady in the game up by 30 pts. Jauron instead of getting angry and ordering the Bills to man up, just stared into space, totally clueless and turtled for BB. I don't think I have ever been so angry as a Bills fan.

Chan - Week 17 2011. The Bills get destroyed by the Pats at Gillette again. Chan finishes his 2nd losing season. 

St.Doug - I didn't really get rubbed the wrong way by Marrone until maybe the Raiders game in Marrone's 2nd season. Still he left before I really got a chance to want him gone.

Rex -  Week 12 vs KC in 2015, Rex took bad advice from his on field preacher man to throw/ not throw the challenge flag. Just clueless.

The Jury is still out on McD but the Chargers INT fest and starting Peterman may be the watershed moment.

That’s a comprehensive list man, great memory and well done.

I’m ready to finally win something. 

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its funny the stupid things that you remember about these mostly useless former coaches! I cannot remember important items in a shopping list but a quote from reanimated corpse Jauron from more than a decade ago? no problem!

If i could remember normal everyday stuff like i do irrelevant football stuff my life would beba lot easier lol. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The punt that started it all........"The Original Preposterous Punt"

November 3, 2002

Trailing 17-7 and being thoroughly dominated in the third quarter at home against the Patriots.......Greggo Williams punts from the Pats 32 on 4th down and 2.

You read that right.........from the 32.......on 4th and 2.

The Pats promptly marched the length of the field against Greggo's beleaguered defense and scored another TD on their way to a 38-7 win..........really the first real thrashing of the Pats pending domination of the Bills...........and the sure sign that Gregg Williams did not have what it takes to win.

Prior to this ridiculousness it was really pretty common to see hyper conservative decisions "similar" to this......in fact the crowd at the Ralph was hardly phased by it at the moment...........but this one crossed a line.

After that absurdity Gregg Easterbrook started tracking preposterous punts............and the punt shaming has really helped push the game forward in my opinion.

I knew that Jauron was a complete horror show before he ever coached a game. The 2006 draft was just so bad that it crippled the team for many years.

Having said that, didn't he once try a million yard field goal that they had no chance at all of making? It might even have been in bad weather conditions.

For some reason this this comes to mind but there is no solid memory. The Levy/Jauron years were just unthinkably awful. :( 

19 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yeah I was at that game too.

I think it was George Wilson that got that initial pick six.  I forgave Chris Kelsy for all past and future sins that night by chasing Romo in the EZ and then blocking the pass and catching it for a pick six.  It was a heckuva game.

I guess I gave Dick the benefit of the doubt that night, but was not happy.  Especially when the boys had only a few seconds and EVERYONE except Dick and Perry Fewell evidently knew they were going to throw a sidelines pass and they gave it up to TO setting up the long FG.

I remember someone saying thats when the new the Trent Era started in Buffalo. Thanks to the 3 point offensive explosion ?

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I knew that Jauron was a complete horror show before he ever coached a game. The 2006 draft was just so bad that it crippled the team for many years.

Having said that, didn't he once try a million yard field goal that they had no chance at all of making? It might even have been in bad weather conditions.

For some reason this this comes to mind but there is no solid memory. The Levy/Jauron years were just unthinkably awful. :( 

Dick Jauron reminds me a lot of Hue Jackson, in the following sense.

When you watched Dick Jauron speak at a post-game PC, in 5 minutes, it became clear he is not the sort of guy you want running your football team.  He just seemed entirely in the wrong line of work, with a lack of energy, emotion, drive...

When you watched Hue Jackson address his fellow coaches or the team at large last year on HBO'S Hard Knocks, behind closed doors, in 5 minutes, you realized he has absolutely no business running an NFL football team, for very different reasons.  He immediately came across as full of ego, stupid, and not doing or saying the right things that a leader does or says.

What is interesting to me is that both guys made it to HC in the NFL, which is not easy to do.  It really calls into question the selection process and shines a giant spotlight on ownership.

Edited by Nextmanup

16 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My take on the Ralph Wilson era from Wade Phillips onward is that Wilson was a very shrew business man and his team needed to make a profit, period! He was the team president for a reason. The man had expensive hobbies like collecting fine art and owing race horses. He did not want to end up like Art Modell who was forced to move, sell his team or like his good friend Al Davis who needed to sell part ownership. As it was he wanted to keep his name on the stadium too.

The thing is, winning can get very expensive in so many ways as he found out during the SB years. Players becoming stars and needing to be compensated, coaches too. When a team wins all of a sudden everyone becomes important in the FO, coaching staff become more valuable, more expensive. Wilson didn't mind paying 100 million to DE Mario Williams because as expensive as he was he was only the 6th highest paid player in 2012 and he fell behind fast as salaries went up and up. Drew Brees made around 50 mill in 2013. 

I think there was a real reason as to why the team kept drafting DBs & RBs over the years and never drafted a QB in the top 10 before Josh Allen. Don't get this wrong as Ralph Wilson loved his fans and wanted to win games. He also wanted to keep ticket prices reasonable to allow all Bills fans to afford a season ticket. I also think that there was a real reason he kept hiring scrubs as coaches, GMs and promoted a marketing guy to team president at the end. 

Like JohnC noted, thankfully that era is behind us. 

• Like (+1) 1