Shelton Trade Parameters - 2nd Round Pick

Mark VI

Kicker Mike Nugent !  0:)

Yep, it's not so they secure a shot at a top Guard like Elton Brown or David Baas, or a DT like Anttaj Hawthorne. 

It's Nugent. Could you imagine ?    :P

288341[/snapback]

I imagine you've awakened the Madden crowd from their slumber with your tantalizing tidbit. :D

Yep, it's not so they secure a shot at a top Guard like Elton Brown or David Baas, or a DT like Anttaj Hawthorne. 

It's Nugent. Could you imagine ?    :D

288341[/snapback]

I have to add Cat Scratch Fever to my playlist......or Wang Dang Sweet Poontang or Free for all...you get the picture....

Who would waste a second round pick on a friggin kicker? That's crazy. I can't think of any highly drafted kicker besides Janukowski who actually worked out well for the team that drafted him.

The need is obviously o-line. Unless there is a tremendous run on guards and centers in the first round, we should be picking there. Either that or a cornerback. Knowing TD, he'll probably draft a QB and end up looking smart.

RTB

Who would waste a second round pick on a friggin kicker? That's crazy. I can't think of any highly drafted kicker besides Janukowski who actually worked out well for the team that drafted him.

The need is obviously o-line. Unless there is a tremendous run on guards and centers in the first round, we should be picking there. Either that or a cornerback. Knowing TD, he'll probably draft a QB and end up looking smart.

RTB

288381[/snapback]

I can't think of another kicker drafted that high besides Janikowski, at least in the last decade. Plus, isn't there spposed to be enough guard depth to snatch one in the third rond?

Donahoe aint draftin a kicker in the second or third round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He will live with Lindell

288384[/snapback]

I don't think Lindell will be here next season unless the guys brought in to compete with him totally bomb. From the moving on up actions that TD is trying to do, I don't see Nugent on his radar screen. But, since the draft's timing gives us a chance to see how Pochman is doing in Europe, I'd expect us to pick up a rookie kicker in the draft or as un undrafted FA unless Pochman is tearing it up.

There are other guys besides Nugent with NFL legs out there. Tyler Jones (Boise St) hit 11/15 at the combine & hit 7/9 over 40 yds at the combine. He also kicked off in the 67-70 yd range. Nick Novak's (Maryland) combine stats were also 11/15 with 4/6 > 45 yds and kickoffs in the 64-67 yd range. Hofstra's Chris Onorato is noted for his ability to kick in winds & bad weather. We'd probably have to spend a 7th on him to keep him away from the Jets. He's hit a 47 yarder into a 14mph wind & had a long of 52 yards this year.

Thus the wink, RTB.  0:)

288387[/snapback]

I've said for a while now I doubt TD would take a PK that high...But if the guy turns out to be a real weapon, in Buffalo NY of all places...I mean a real difference maker the way Vinatieri has been for NE...I think a High 2nd Round Pick would be well worth a PK like that...

And I think Nugent has that kind of potential (careful use of the "P" word)...

Plus...we all know TD is not at all afraid of rolling the dice on Draft Day...I think that much is well understood...

Anyway...I'll never say never... :D

That's pretty funny VABills. I would have to agree. I don't see Buffalo drafting a kicker with one of their earlier picks, at least I hope not. Kickers are important but not when you play half your games at home and you are notorious for having "swirling winds", then I don't think that it would be a very good investment or a high priority. All the more one would think that the Bills are really looking to go over the top with the power running game. This would indicate that OL, TE, and a reliable 3rd WR would be a wiser choice. I personally don't think too much about Lindell's capabilities and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets replaced. I'm not quite sure of his cap hit, but if memory serves me right, he's getting overpaid. I'm expecting us getting a FA PK. Paul Edinger may become available. Here's a guy we could probably get cheap and he already kicks in a windy city. He's just one example. I'm sure there is other alternatives out there.

Another 1st round kicker in recent memory is former Tampa PK Marteen Grammatica.

I personally don't think TD has any plans to take Nugent in round 2, but I never thought McGahee was the target in the 2003 draft either.

I personally think if we do move up to #44, if Elton Brown or David Baas are there, we take one of them. I don't expect a surprise pick by TD this year.

That's pretty funny VABills. I would have to agree. I don't see Buffalo drafting a kicker with one of their earlier picks, at least I hope not. Kickers are important but not when you play half your games at home and you are notorious for having "swirling winds", then I don't think that it would be a very good investment or a high priority. All the more one would think that the Bills are really looking to go over the top with the power running game. This would indicate that OL, TE, and a reliable 3rd WR would be a wiser choice. I personally don't think too much about Lindell's capabilities and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets replaced. I'm not quite sure of his cap hit, but if memory serves me right, he's getting overpaid. I'm expecting us getting a FA PK. Paul Edinger may become available. Here's a guy we could probably get cheap and he already kicks in a windy city. He's just one example. I'm sure there is other alternatives out there.

Another 1st round kicker in recent memory is former Tampa PK Marteen Grammatica.

288464[/snapback]

That's why the guy from Hofstra, a proven wind kicker, may be the best option -but we won't get him as a FA, so we'd have to spend a 7th on him.

Grammatica was drafted in the 3rd round, pick 80 of the 1999 draft.

It's Nugent. Could you imagine ?    :D

288341[/snapback]

Mark, I think we are moving up to draft Gus the Mule. If we are going to draft a kicker in the second, he better be able to split the uprights from 80...

The only Nugent I want to hear on the first day of the draft...

"I got me a rock and roll band, it's a free for all........"

Oops! I owe the board an apology. I just assumed and didn't verify that Gramatica was drafted in the 1st rd. Good call Albany,n.y.

Istill don't see or want a kicker on the 1st draft day. Let's spend it on the O-line, TE and defense. It will be well spent.

Fans are correctly pissed at Lindell for missing a chip shot FG against Pitts, but there seem to be a lot of good football reasons to believe TD when he says Lindell is the Bills PK in o5 like:

1. Nugent clearly is a great placekicker and it actually is not diffcult at all to imagine the Bills doing better at PK with someone who inspires the HCs trust to go for it beyond 40 in crunch time, but a big part of the kickers game (and far more frequently used by the Bills in '05 than nailing the key FG is doing kickoffs exactly when and where April says )particularly in the winds of the Ralph).

Lindell was perfect in terms of kicking em left or right as order, high or low as ordered and the proof of this is there in that our KR game was among the best (if not simply the best) in the league last year with no TDs given up and few significant returns. Great tackling was obviously a key here, but predictable kicking was also certainly a key and Lindell did this game in and game out.

The notion that the rookie Nugent would do just as well in the KO game is possible but unlikely. The thought he will merely boom the ball for touchbacks time after time is actually quite unlikely as unless there was a change in college rules I didn't notice, the pro kicker uses a shorter tee which reduces the length of kicks and taking some getting used to. In addition, pro kicks are further back than college. Were all of Nugent's college kickoffs touchbacks? If they weren't this will not be true in the pros either and anybody taking him will need to expect some time to past before he learns the pro game and becomes effective at KOs (assuming this does happen because there is no guarantee.

2. A post last week actually put up the Bills opponents drive starts and returns and we were among the best in the league with Lindell kicking. In addition, if you look at the rest of the league, opposing kickers (with I think 1 case of exception) also proved unable to convert FGs over 40 yards in the Ralph.

3. We tried 3 onside kicks, 1 of which failed for a reason I do not remember, another of which was well kicked by Lindell, but Rashad Baker did not make the recovery when a good kick at this longshot was not accomplished and the third kick resulted in a great recovery by the Bills by Lindell of his own kick which he dummined perfectly (along with the KR squad) top fool the opposition, he kicked it perfectly with speed and pace since no Bills guy could even touch an opponent until the ball traveled ten yards and he made he recovery himself.

4. The Bills will take a cap hit of slightly over 600K to cut Lindell and given that we are having to arrange things to make the cap work. it is unclear whether we would want to do this and still be able to build the team we want.

I for one definitely think the Bills need to upgrade kicker performance. However, as much as I would love us to have Nugent and potentially solve the problem for years. I think it looks far more likely we will attempt to improve the kicking by having April work with Lindell. Lindell simply sucked in 2003 and merelu improved to inadequate with his mix of good and bas results in 2004. However, I hope he can maintain this rate of improvement and actually be totally adequate as a kicker in 2005. It will be a tough job to pull off but seems far more likely a possibility than us spending a 2nd on a kicker.