Potential Cut Candidate: Gerald McCoy?

DCOrange

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’d be a perfect fit.  Good to have big contract guys on the market.  If we don’t sign him, someone else will lose 12+ mill in cap space 

Now is the time to sign those kinda guys while Josh Allen is still on his rookie deal for a few more years 

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly an option to look at but with a class as deep and as talented in the draft at DT, I think more focus will be on adding veterans to our offensive line. We should be adding more youth to the d-line IMO. That being said, we have a lot of cap space and I would support the decision based on what his talent would bring to this team. 

Don't really follow the Bucs so I'm not sure how high of a level he is still playing at.  Certainly know he was excellent in the past.  We have so much money that we will never be able to spend it all.  This is the perfect time to sign impact guys to front loaded deals while we have so much space.  That way you don't put yourself in a bad spot a few years down the road.  Players love front loaded deals since they get more money sooner.  Teams with space love them so they don't screw themselves down the road with bad contracts.  Win/win in my book.  And obviously we have new vacancy at the position and you can never have too many quality DL to rotate in and out and keep fresh legs out there.

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Who out of those 3 offers superior 3 tech play? Answer: none

With the Heavy Rotation used I don’t want to give another 12M a year to a guy to play 33% of snaps   In that case just draft the player and get cost controlled for 4 years. 

Edited by MAJBobby

30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With the Heavy Rotation used I don’t want to give another 12M a year to a guy to play 33% of snaps   In that case just draft the player and get cost controlled for 4 years. 

I'm not sure I want to be spending the money that both McCoy and Star will cost, but McCoy would be slotted into a role where he could play 60-70% of snaps even with McD's rotation. I'd certainly rather pay McCoy $12+ mil than paying Star but we're unfortunately saddled with Star already so it might be best to find a cheaper interior pass rusher.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I would much rather give Phillips 6-8M a year on a 5 year contract and get a cheap 4th DT. 

Star

Harrison

Phillips

cheap Rotational guy

I appreciate your ambition here, but Harrison did nothing this year. He looked small and overmatched. Neither he or Jordan Phillips are starters. I think a three Tech is a glaring need here. McCoy, Sheldon Richardson, Grady Jarrett, those types of guys should be on the radar for us imo. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I would much rather give Phillips 6-8M a year on a 5 year contract and get a cheap 4th DT. 

Star

Harrison

Phillips

cheap Rotational guy

Not sure Phillips is worth that kind of money but I would be open to a multi year extension. He seemed to love buffalo and brought a lot of energy. However these 4 would not be enough. NE ran all over us and having a guy like McCoy would certainly help with that

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I appreciate your ambition here, but Harrison did nothing this year. He looked small and overmatched. Neither he or Jordan Phillips are starters. I think a three Tech is a glaring need here. McCoy, Sheldon Richardson, Grady Jarrett, those types of guys should be on the radar for us imo. 

Then maybe it is time for the 12M dollar DT do more than take up space.   And a Rookie that is undersized ooo no. Happens give him an off-season on NFL weight program and watch what happens 

27 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not sure I want to be spending the money that both McCoy and Star will cost, but McCoy would be slotted into a role where he could play 60-70% of snaps even with McD's rotation. I'd certainly rather pay McCoy $12+ mil than paying Star but we're unfortunately saddled with Star already so it might be best to find a cheaper interior pass rusher.

Agree paying Star already I don’t want to be giving another DT 12M plus. So either fill with what we have or draft a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, End The Drought said:

Not sure Phillips is worth that kind of money but I would be open to a multi year extension. He seemed to love buffalo and brought a lot of energy. However these 4 would not be enough. NE ran all over us and having a guy like McCoy would certainly help with that

I think in a multi year extension Phillips is going to get 6M. If he stays motivated and not turn into the MIA going thru motions guy in year 2 of that new extension it will be a bargain. He has all the tools to be an elite 3 Tech minus the hot and cold motor

Edited by MAJBobby

I’m not quite sure why the hesitation to spend the money, this is exactly the time to do it and add to that it’s going to be difficult to spend and get guys to come here anyways. No, not because it’s Buffalo. The Jets had tons of cap space and still had to give out ridiculous contracts and couldn’t get everyone to go there. Why not spend? They don’t have anyone they need to get under contract that they can’t. And the market for other positions of need aren’t looking great.