Being screwed by my company

Punching Bag

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Not sure I will get a raise enough to pay for that.

It is really weird to use a medical device half an hour every day but there are people dependent upon using a medical device every second of their lives.

This is the truth. Technology has come a long way.

I am utterly confused in this thread. I thought you were literally on your last legs in your initial post, on the verge of Social Security Disability. Now you are getting a promotion and using a device 30 minutes a day? How exactly is your company screwing you over? Like I said...I’m confused and can’t keep up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am supposed to be on partial disability but company will not allow it despite it being a paid for by employee benefit - that is HR.  They are the ones screwing me.

My boss on the other hand is very happy with my work and is doing everything he can to help me including letting me work a modified work schedule. Last year I got a rating on 96 out of possible 100.  Promotion is part of that.

My doctor has prescribed the device to help drain the foot since lymph nodes are not working properly and my foot is not healing properly.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am supposed to be on partial disability but company will not allow it despite it being a paid for by employee benefit - that is HR.  They are the ones screwing me.

My boss on the other hand is very happy with my work and is doing everything he can to help me including letting me work a modified work schedule. Last year I got a rating on 96 out of possible 100.  Promotion is part of that.

My doctor has prescribed the device to help drain the foot since lymph nodes are not working properly and my foot is not healing properly.

Hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but it sounds like things are going well. If that makes sense. 

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I just got notice I was promoted. 

I was promoted from Senior Systems Engineer thru Systems Engineer Senior to Systems Engineer Advisor. 

By thru I mean my company merged (absorbed) another company so my title was changed to Systems Engineer Senior (that title makes me feel old) and then promoted to Systems Engineer Advisor on new title scale. No word on whether a raise comes with new title but evidently it was needed for me because my salary was at the top of the range for Systems Engineer Senior and without a promotion I could only get cost of living raises.  I asked my boss about this new title and he said it tells the Engineer also has leadership duties/responsibilities. 

I went to glassdoor and the average reported salaries for Systems Engineer Advisor were significantly less than Senior Systems Engineer so wondering how this affects my job hunt post working at this company.  Also interesting is that our review cycle has just started for year meaning I got promotion before review.  I asked my boss if this meant I did not have to do my self assessment and I still need to do it. :(

Do System Engineers even have to leave their desks?  A week ago, you were losing your job because they were dicking you over due to your medical condition.  Now you've been promoted and have medical equipment to assist you while you work?  What happened to worrying about FMLA?

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Do System Engineers even have to leave their desks?  A week ago, you were losing your job because they were dicking you over due to your medical condition.  Now you've been promoted and have medical equipment to assist you while you work?  What happened to worrying about FMLA?

Exactly... What can't you do at your desk that you can't do on the couch at home?

Sounds like a light duty type job.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe OP can change the thread title to “I’ve been promoted by my company and I can walk! Life is good!”

On 1/17/2019 at 10:57 PM, Gugny said:

They told me the FMLA only protects for 12 weeks; that is very gungy.  I am working full hours but only because my job has overlapping hours and due to my performance my boss allows alternate hours.  Every Wednesday I end up in bed extra hours trying to recover.

The medical equipment is something I use at home.

And yes I need to leave my desk. Oh and today elevators were out at work walking multiple flights of stairs is something I am not supposed to do but did anyway because alternate is sick time and may need to use it if agency I am working at runs out of money.  The USPTO is one of the few agencies which actually makes money for government and they are using incoming fees to pay expenses keeping government employees from getting furloughed and eventually being repaid making it a paid vacation.  Make sure you go copyright "Gungy Power" to send some money to them.

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They told me the FMLA only protects for 12 weeks; that is very gungy.  I am working full hours but only because my job has overlapping hours and due to my performance my boss allows alternate hours.  Every Wednesday I end up in bed extra hours trying to recover.

The medical equipment is something I use at home.

And yes I need to leave my desk. Oh and today elevators were out at work walking multiple flights of stairs is something I am not supposed to do but did anyway because alternate is sick time and may need to use it if agency I am working at runs out of money.  The USPTO is one of the few agencies which actually makes money for government and they are using incoming fees to pay expenses keeping government employees from getting furloughed and eventually being repaid making it a paid vacation.  Make sure you go copyright "Gungy Power" to send some money to them.

You can use intermittent FMLA so the time off you take due to your bum wheel is covered/cannot be penalized.  Unfortunately, I know this because once one of my employees took advantage of it (for genuine purposes), I've had a few take advantage of it because they're scumbags.  And I can't do a damn thing about it because it's FMLA and they found doctors to write BS notes.  12 weeks goes a long way when you're only using it when necessary.

Your story reeks of something you'd put into an envelope made out of a napkin.  Allow me to recap:

Your employer screwed you over because you have a bad foot.

Your employer then gave you a promotion.

Of all things that could happen, your elevators were OOC, forcing you to walk multiple flights of stairs.

That's a busy week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Your employer screwed you over because you have a bad foot.

Your employer then gave you a promotion.

Of all things that could happen, your elevators were OOC, forcing you to walk multiple flights of stairs.

That's a busy week.

The screw was end of last year not this week.

Just now, Limeaid said:

The screw was end of last year not this week.

In this thread anything goes.  I hereby declare that one week = 21 calendar days.

I also taught DC Tom everything he knows about U.S. history and Josh Allen calls me at noon EST on every game day looking for words of inspiration before kickoff.

This is fun!!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In this thread anything goes.  I hereby declare that one week = 21 calendar days.

I also taught DC Tom everything he knows about U.S. history and Josh Allen calls me at noon EST on every game day looking for words of inspiration before kickoff.

This is fun!!

Does DC Tom know this?

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is fun!!

When did we switch to metric?