Buffalo News: PFF Breaks Down Josh Allen's Accuracy "Issue"

Thurman#1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this a private party or can I join?

Well, Allen has some typical faults of rookie QBs.  He doesn't use his pre-snap reads to hone in on the likeliest plays, and thus takes too long to go through progressions at times.

He locks on sometimes.  He fails to see open guys.

But as for the overall highest Time-to-Throw meaning the OL is not at fault...I don't see how one can assert that, especially given the evasive ability you recognize.

Allen may feel pressure, bail out, and buy himself time to throw with his feet.  In that scenario, it is perfectly plausible that the OL is at fault AND Allen's evasive ability buys him time, giving him the longest time to throw.

I would just caution the guy from reading too much into 'nextGen' stats, ESPECIALLY ones like 'Time to Throw' that purport to measure snap to release in increments of 100ths of a second...and maybe using some basic logic and seeing that 4/5 guys at the top of the list are what you'd call 'mobile' quarterbacks, and that 3/5 have what I'd call bad to terrible pass protection in Seattle, Buffalo, and Houston. 

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I would just caution the guy from reading too much into 'nextGen' stats, ESPECIALLY ones like 'Time to Throw' that purport to measure snap to release in increments of 100ths of a second...and maybe using some basic logic and seeing that 4/5 guys at the top of the list are what you'd call 'mobile' quarterbacks, and that 3/5 have what I'd call bad to terrible pass protection in Seattle, Buffalo, and Houston. 

Seattle's pass protection has been much, much better this year. They are still not better than just below halfway when compared to the rest of the league, but it has been a significant improvement.

Buffalo and Houston have two of the 3 worst OL in the league. The Cardinals are the other.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Seattle's pass protection has been much, much better this year. They are still not better than just below halfway when compared to the rest of the league, but it has been a significant improvement.

Buffalo and Houston have two of the 3 worst OL in the league. The Cardinals are the other.

It's been better, but Russell Wilson still faces pressure in under 3 seconds on a high percentage of drop-backs--36%, which is the 5th-most in the league.

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's been better, but Russell Wilson still faces pressure in under 3 seconds on a high percentage of drop-backs--36%, which is the 5th-most in the league.

But again it is a bit chicken and egg because Russ holds the ball too. I agree Seattle's offensive line is still not a good one, but it has improved markedly from the previous two years.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But again it is a bit chicken and egg because Russ holds the ball too. I agree Seattle's offensive line is still not a good one, but it has improved markedly from the previous two years.

Kind of...I think the stat I posted "tries" to account for that because they're categorizing a "pressure" as a disruption that occurs in less than 3 seconds.  I would say that 3 seconds is considered "long" for holding the ball in the NFL, but I can see why they chose it.  Tracking that stat to a median (which is ~2.7 seconds) is probably a pain in the backside.

I wouldn't read to much into any stats for rookie QB's.  But for Josh especially - I would completely disregard any stats those first 5 games.  Allen wasn't ready for the NFL in week 2.  He was thrown out there prematurely and struggled.  The whole team struggled though with or without Allen in there.  

Allen last 6 games
            Yrd TD  Int
JAX    8/19    160    1    0
Mia    18/33    231    2    2
NY  18/36    206    0    2
Det 13/26    204    1    0    
NE  20/41    217    1    2    
Mia 17/26    224    3    1    

Tot 94/181 1242 8   7  
52% comp. Worse game was Jax but was a win
Also 5 rushing TD's gives him 13
Next year Allen could easily get his comp. pct. to 56%, avg yrds 240 and change those 1 TD pass games to 2 TD's and the 2 int games to 1 int.
Just that much improvement, and a decent Bills running game would be very significant. 
Bills only avg. 193 passing ypg in 2017 with 16 TD and 10 Int. 

On 1/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, thebandit27 said:

Nice massive misrepresentation of my point..

LMAO 

Says the one that provides almost no relevant info or data to substantiate his positions much less considers things even remotely holistically, as evidenced by your end-all-to-be-all Rhodes-Scholar-ish retort using QB rating as a sole indicator, while failing to see that Allen's all but DFL league-wide, tied with Josh Rosen, by a country-mile lagging the pack at 32nd/33rd (out of 33) in ratinng.  

LOL, I'm still awaiting your reply to that one.  Should be quite entertaining.  

Otherwise, says the one that takes nearly everything I write all but entirely out of its context while simultaneously ignoring well over 90% of the facts provided in support of my argument.  

Yeah, I take you seriously.  LOL 

No worries, you're on  my "just likes to argue with me" list.  

25 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

LMAO 

Says the one that provides almost no relevant info or data to substantiate his positions much less considers things even remotely holistically, as evidenced by your end-all-to-be-all Rhodes-Scholar-ish retort using QB rating as a sole indicator, while failing to see that Allen's all but DFL league-wide, tied with Josh Rosen, by a country-mile lagging the pack at 32nd/33rd (out of 33) in ratinng.  

LOL, I'm still awaiting your reply to that one.  Should be quite entertaining.  

Otherwise, says the one that takes nearly everything I write all but entirely out of its context while simultaneously ignoring well over 90% of the facts provided in support of my argument.  

Yeah, I take you seriously.  LOL 

No worries, you're on  my "just likes to argue with me" list.  

Start back at my very first response to you in this thread, which was that I was with you until you made the Allen-Kizer comparison, which is ludicrous by pretty much every metric (yet somehow you've got me labeled as a passer-rating-only Rhodes Scholar of sorts, which is...interesting I guess?)

If you can't grasp that, then we can't have a discussion, because that was my initial response.  You followed with a novel that had very little relevance to that topic, and did more to disprove your comparison than to prove it.

So like I said days ago: the best thing for this thread is for me to stop responding to you, because you've gone way off the beaten path here.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Among QBs whom accounted for more than 80% of the offense of games they started in, Josh Allen was #1 in every single statistical category, running or passing.   I have a theory that when he is not surrounded by the leagues worst receivers and worst running attack, he will become very successful. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Among QBs whom accounted for more than 80% of the offense of games they started in, Josh Allen was #1 in every single statistical category, running or passing.   I have a theory that when he is not surrounded by the leagues worst receivers and worst running attack, he will become very successful. 

NICE STAT.  : {

Allen has always had major accuracy issues, and if he can't improve DRAMATICALLY, Buffalo will be drafting a QB in 2020.

McD and Bean are not going down with their 1st QB selection; not being able to complete passes on a regular basis.

He's just a poor thrower.

5 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

NICE STAT.  : {

Allen has always had major accuracy issues, and if he can't improve DRAMATICALLY, Buffalo will be drafting a QB in 2020.

McD and Bean are not going down with their 1st QB selection; not being able to complete passes on a regular basis.

He's just a poor thrower.

I am lucky to know with certainty that you are wrong on every point in this post. 

• Thank you (+1) 2