What is a high ceiling player in the NFL?

Hebert19

We drafted 2 in first round.  Edmund's and Allen likely have the highest ceilings of anyone in this draft.  So when you grab guys like that what is one word you would use to describe how you should treat them.  

To me...its patience.  You drafted these guys not because of what they will be day 1 but because of what they could become.  

My point.  Get over allen and Edmunds. If you thought they were year 1 rock stars then you dont understand the NFL or the draft.  You draft guys like this because they have the potential to be the best players at their position for a long time.  It's rare they recognize this in year 1...

Ceiling is one of the dumbest terms in sports and it makes teams make stupid picks.  

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Macaffery (spelling, sorry) in Carolina really comes to mind as a high ceiling player.

Great coming in, but what a year he is having in 2018.

I thought he was one of the safest picks in his draft and I had no worries about him reaching his ceiling.  He should have won the Heisman in college.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ceiling is one of the dumbest terms in sports and it makes teams make stupid picks.  

I thought he was one of the safest picks in his draft and I had no worries about him reaching his ceiling.  He should have won the Heisman in college.

Many true statements in your post, CB, and on top of that the kid's team imploded and he is still having an amazing season.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

We drafted 2 in first round.  Edmund's and Allen likely have the highest ceilings of anyone in this draft.  So when you grab guys like that what is one word you would use to describe how you should treat them.  

To me...its patience.  You drafted these guys not because of what they will be day 1 but because of what they could become.  

My point.  Get over allen and Edmunds. If you thought they were year 1 rock stars then you dont understand the NFL or the draft.  You draft guys like this because they have the potential to be the best players at their position for a long time.  It's rare they recognize this in year 1...

People on message boards have a burning desire to show that they are smarter than everybody else so the need to belittle and to proclaim will always be there (here).  If people really had an ability to assess information and lead people they would not be found on a message board all hours of the day seven days a week.  These same people are most likely thankful that their profiles that they give of having six figure paychecks, large expensive homes, and hot wives/girlfriends can not be readily challenged by their fellow board members due to the buffer zone given of the net versus the man cave where these keyboard GM's and coaches reside.  

Allen gets 2019 to show it.

Sorry, but the NFL is fast moving and if the Bills want to sit at the Big Boy Table then they need to start to hold their own franchise to standards/Expectations/Accomplishments of the other teams around the league.

Year 2

Carson Wentz

- NFL MVP Candidate.  33 TDs/7Ints.  11-2 Record NFC EAST champs

Jared Goff

- 28 TDs from 5 as rookie.  11-4 Record NFC West Champs

Mitchell Trubisky

- 10-3 Record...24TDs from 7 as a Rookie NFC North Champs

Patrick Mahomes

-NFL MVP candidate.  48 TDs.  11-4 Record.

Same goes for Coach McDermott.  Sub-.500 Coach entering his 3rd Season.  Use cap space and draft and take a BIG jump in 2019.

time is running out.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Sorry, but the NFL is fast moving and if the Bills want to sit at the Big Boy Table then they need to start to hold their own franchise to standards/Expectations/Accomplishments of the other teams around the league.

Year 2

Carson Wentz

Jared Goff

- 28 TDs from from 5 as rookie.  11-4 Record NFC West Champs

Mitchell Trubisky

- 10-3 Record...24TDs to 7 as a Rookie NFC North Champs

Patrick Mahomes

The NFL is not going to sit there and do nothing and let the Bills get better

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

You can't have a sophomore jinx if you don't have a freshmen blessing.

Freshmen blessing sounds better than the Freshmen Fifteen.  The soft serve machine took out a lot of young fit bodies.  ?

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Year 2

Carson Wentz

Jared Goff

- 28 TDs from from 5 as rookie.  11-4 Record NFC West Champs

Mitchell Trubisky

- 10-3 Record...24TDs to 7 as a Rookie NFC North Champs

Patrick Mahomes

Even though all of those guys have proven offensive coaches, I feel great that Allen has McDermott and Daboll. 

?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Freshmen blessing sounds better than the Freshmen Fifteen.  The soft serve machine took out a lot of young fit bodies.  ?

I was referring to my quarterback. I know I'm not a "real fan" because I have doubts, but I'll still chime in. When I hear sophomore jinx, I think of all the excuses to come if things don't go according to plan. 

It seems as though recognition is the main problem as it pertains to both Edmunds and Allen and that is probably a common issue among "high ceiling" draft picks. It will either click or it won't. There's no way to know for sure one way or the other.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I was referring to my quarterback. I know I'm not a "real fan" because I have doubts, but I'll still chime in. When I hear sophomore jinx, I think of all the excuses to come if things don't go according to plan. 

It seems as though recognition is the main problem as it pertains to both Edmunds and Allen and that is probably a common issue among "high ceiling" draft picks. It will either click or it won't. There's no way to know for sure one way or the other.

But it’s nice to have grounds to believe we have something for the future at QB

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Even though all of those guys have proven offensive coaches, I feel great that Allen has McDermott and Daboll. 

?

I had my own thread in the beginning of the season on this board questioning exactly that.

what would teams with High Drafted Rookie QBs do that were saddled with Defensive Minded Head Coaches?

The trend had been that in order to SAVE the young QB a OffensivevMinded HC needed to be brought in.  With Rams and Bears as prime examples.

I figured the Browns and Jets were show ins to try for it. Didn’t think Arizona would do it (although looks like they got smart) and Buffalo never moves fast on these things so I immediately elimated them from trying it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

But it’s nice to have grounds to believe we have something for the future at QB

There's no doubt he's got a chance. He's got all the talent in the world. If he's able to scan the entire field, it's entirely possible he can be special. I think "accuracy" is not the main problem as it pertains to completion percentage; it's awareness. He locks on to his primary read too often and doesn't see the 2nd/3rd options as he either fires or takes off out of the pocket.

The kid works extremely hard and I fully expect him to spend the offseason focusing on progressions.

The one thing I can't do as a human being is pretend that I don't notice these things. Yes, I notice that our receivers are bad and that the OL is below average. But Josh has a lot of work ahead of him if he's going to reach that nebulous ceiling.

We associate ceiling with risk. Nah.. high ceiling players don't always need to have us praying on them panning out. LVE has a higher ceiling than Edmunds because of why shouldn't he right now? LVE has a better chance of improving than Edmunds does a chance at playing probowl caliber LBing in a year or 2. Being young makes him more risky, doesn't automatically make his ceiling higher than other guys that weren't in the NFL at his age.

13 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I had my own thread in the beginning of the season on this board questioning exactly that.

what would teams with High Drafted Rookie QBs do that were saddled with Defensive Minded Head Coaches?

The trend had been that in order to SAVE the young QB a OffensivevMinded HC needed to be brought in.  With Rams and Bears as prime examples.

I figured the Browns and Jets were show ins to try for it. Didn’t think Arizona would do it (although looks like they got smart) and Buffalo never moves fast on these things so I immediately elimated them from trying it.

Yup. I didn’t like Allen as a prospect going into the draft but if Reid or McVay picked him, I’d be on board.  He is a super risky pick especially given this coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Why is the fact that 2018 is a transition year lost on the "sky is falling,  fire everyone" posters?  The struggles we have experienced were expected.   Let's wait until this time next year to tear down this regime.

Yep, 50M plus in dead cap is too much to overcome despite feelings to the contrary by quite a number of posters here.  That could amount to 5 above average starters at various positions on a team.  Easily several key contributors.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

There's no doubt he's got a chance. He's got all the talent in the world. If he's able to scan the entire field, it's entirely possible he can be special. I think "accuracy" is not the main problem as it pertains to completion percentage; it's awareness. He locks on to his primary read too often and doesn't see the 2nd/3rd options as he either fires or takes off out of the pocket.

The kid works extremely hard and I fully expect him to spend the offseason focusing on progressions.

The one thing I can't do as a human being is pretend that I don't notice these things. Yes, I notice that our receivers are bad and that the OL is below average. But Josh has a lot of work ahead of him if he's going to reach that nebulous ceiling.

I had zero hope for JP and EJ and TT

its the duty of fans to pick out flaws, even on great teams. :D

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Sometimes I wonder if people are happier if the possibility is there to criticize versus enjoying an achievement.  I honestly believe that there are people here that would be happier if the team was failing next year versus succeeding.  

Sure would be nice to find out how people would behave in the event the Bills started piling up achievements.