Bills offensive talent trade value.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:31 AM, 4merper4mer said:

I knew someone would say that because he had a solid fantasy week.  He also has been in trouble and has had dime a dozen results overall.  I see a 4th for him but someone might cough up a 3rd.  I seriously doubt it.

Yup.  

Plus, Better WRs than Anderson got traded for a 4th many times.  He may not even get a 4th, could be a 5th with some kind of kicker that could turn into a 4th.  He’s been a sporadic producer.  Yet somehow he is still twice as good as any WR on the Bills ha...sad but true.

And why is the OP citing Khalil Mack (on defense) and then asking about our offense lol?  If we traded Tre White he would fetch at least a first, and probably more.  Young emerging top end corner on a rookie contract would fetch quite a bit.

And I guarantee that if we were to try and trade Josh Allen he would fetch more than we paid for him right now.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, Shaw66 said:

Whether you agree or not, McDermott believes that young players grow and improve from year to year.  I think if we could get McDermott to come on here and talk about his perception of the Bills' starting offensive talent, a lot of posters here would be disappointed.   I think McDermott would say that he thinks a lot of guys, including Croom, Foster, McKenzie, Jones, Dawkins, Miller, Teller and probably a few others will continue to improve. I also think he would say that as each guy improves, he makes the players around him better.   It's particularly true with Allen - as he plays better, all of his offensive teammates will play better.   But it's also true about linemen, and even about receivers. 

Many people have commented that what hurt the Bills more than anything else this season was losing Incognito and Wood.  That's true, and not simply because they played well, but because they also helped make the people beside them better.    It doesn't take a lot of new talent to have a big impact on the team.   Suppose, for example, that the Bills get a stud left tackle in the draft and a quality veteran guard in free agency.   What's the impact on the offensive line?   It could be huge.   Maybe move Dawkins to the right side, send Miller or Teller to the bench.  Those are two completely possible changes, things that could be done very comfortably within the Bills' draft situation and position and their cap space, causing no real disruption at all.  But they could mean a huge improvement in the offensive line.  Add one quality receiver to go with Foster and Jones (and maybe some better offensive line coaching), and think about what happens:  Run game improves (with or without Shady),  pass protection improves (and we've seen how well Allen throws when he has protection), receiving game improves and passing gets easier.   More importantly, think about the complementary effect of all those things:  running game improving makes play action more effective, which helps the passing game.  Play action effectiveness makes pass protection easier for the offensive line.  Having a complementary offense reduces three and outs, which helps the defense.   

I'd be amazed if the Bills clean house like some people would like to see.   I think the Bills go to camp with all of the people who end the season as starters (except for any retirements and free agent departures).   But I don't think they start the 2019 season with all those guys still starting, or even on the team.   I think what we're going to see is a lot of rookies and free agents in camp, AND WINNING JOBS.   We're going to see Milanos and Fosters and guys like that taking jobs from guys like Mills and Miller.   It's going to be the process in full bloom, with competitions at many, many positions, and the smartest, hardest working, toughest guys are going to win the jobs.   

For me the big question is whether McDermott has what it takes and whether he will have the right team of coaches to be able to compete with the best coaches in the league.  

Good post. I think Foster is a player who has the potential to be quite good, but they need a stud *and* a real #3 because Jones looks very low-ceiling to me. I suspect a decent #3 can be found in FA or, say,  the 3rd-4th round. I wouldn't hitch my wagon to Jones after what I've seen, but perhaps he continues to improve. 

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Then McDermott won't be here past 2019 because the team will suck.

McKenzie, Jones, Miller, Croom, and even Foster are not starting NFL players. They should be back ups or role players in just about every quality NFL offense. 

To your point about adding one quality receiver to go with Foster and Jones, that receiver needs to be among the best in the league to have that type of impact with this sad group of recievers. I've discussed it before, but a trade for Julio Jones(along with upgrades on the offensive line)would do wonders for this team. 

Foster appears to be better than what you're pegging him at here. He gets open, he has good hands, and he can blow by good CBs.