Passing League my eye!! Think again.

55 minutes ago, BuffaLoko said:

I think he meant...during their respective SB games, specifically...

11 carries for 31 yards and a fumble lost in the Pats vs ATL SB.

I certainly lend credence to the idea of a guy who can get you a yard when you need a yard, but LeGarrette Blount is not the quickest route to success in the NFL.

If you can't stop the run even a good passing team will run it down your throat to win. See New Orleans Bills 2018. 

You need to be decent against the run and be able to rush the passer to win in this league. Having great corners helps everyone. 

You can win with any type of offense as long as the QB doesn't throw interceptions.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But what did those teams do to become winning teams? What do they all have in common?

The teams that continue to stay on top do so because they can adapt to the changes or become trend setters. 

Absolutely and that means defense or offense - whatever wins! The Bills ran the K Gun for years effectively with four HOFers - Kelly, Reed, Thomas, and Lofton but the defense got creamed; and let's not forget the 1990 Giants led by the second team QB!

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

How long did Tampa stay a SB contender after they won? What sunk them? There's also plenty of elite defenses that never win it. 

I want a team that's going to be a perennial contender, and you have the best odds of doing that if you have a franchise QB. This has been proven for as long as football has been around. I don't really even know what the argument is anymore because that is the direction we went in, but I guess I'm glad we have the people in place that we do that had proper value placed on a franchise QB instead of people that aren't able to comprehend that. 

No one is arguing against a franchise QB, get over it! Try to comprehend that! Where you get confused is putting a showboat offense on the field that draws and wows millennials but never gets a SB ring! I too want a perennial winner, I was around for 60's dynasty and watched Bills teams with great defense and a strong run game win AFL Championships, watched the flashy OJ draw national attention for years with only one playoff appearance and loss, then the K Gun point machine of the SB years, guess what - no SB ring and they got beat by a dominant defense and 2nd string QB! The point is you build a team that wins and yes you need a QB; news flash you need points to win - how about that!

This is no surprise. There is a reason the term “defense wins championships” came about. No this isn’t the old days of lockdown defenses like the ravens, bucs or bears of old. 

However there is something to when the games really start to count and the pressure is on towards the end of the season defenses start dominating. Weather turns ugly in some areas and each possession starts to mean a little more. 

I also believe you can still win in this league with a top 10 defense and an offense that can control the clock. 

This is my main belief that I didn’t jump on the Chiefs being so elite like the media loves to do. They score quick and have big play potential every down, but they leave their defense out on the field a ton. When games start to matter more and there’s more pressure im not so sure they can continue to have this big play offense. 

This is what's plagued Andy Ried most of his career. He is quick to abandon the run and gets enamoured with pushing the ball down the field. September, October, November it works.  December it works less and January not at all.  In a long season late in the year it's a battle of wills.  Who can run the ball and control the clock to wear down the opposing defense.  A full season of plays have happened and there are little got you plays that results in big gains or TDs.  

On 12/17/2018 at 3:02 PM, BringBackFergy said:

193, 220, 86, 213, 217, 257, 180, 192, 235, 232, 229, 123, 37, 198....

These are some of the passing totals this past Sunday for winning and losing teams, All Pro QB’s, Dome teams, All Pro WR’s, $84 million dollar QB’s. 

Seems like we are on the right track in Buffalo. Solid QB play, pound the rock, with a great defense. 

Forgot a few: 136 and 20 ,  156 and 128

Wow your using one week to make some wild inference huh?

On 12/17/2018 at 6:20 AM, dorquemada said:

It does seem like we're in a different mood than a month or so ago when Mahomes was throwing for 5000 yards a game and winning every week.  Watching Brady miss on his last few throws yesterday was a reminder that D is more important later in the year than earlier.  Also, did anyone notice Brady fell on the 2nd to last play, trying to avoid getting hit?

Someone here has been saying this all year...even started threads on it...

hmmmmm I wonder who that was?

• Haha (+1) 1