Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

ORCHARD PARK – The same knock on Josh Allen that created so much polarization about him as a first-round draft prospect last spring has raged on throughout his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills. The kid has accuracy issues.

But is this really true? Does Allen really have problems with his ball placement, or are other factors at play that skew his numbers?

The rudimentary statistics are there for everyone to see. He had a sub-par 56.2 career completion percentage at Wyoming, and now in his first season with Buffalo, he ranks last in the NFL among quarterbacks with a minimum of 200 pass attempts with a 52.2 completion percentage.

However, just as batting average or pitcher wins are no longer viable measurements of true performance in Major League Baseball, completion percentage is trending that way in football.

“There’s a lot of different variables that go into that,” Allen said. “There’s a lot of different variables that go into winning a football game as well. I wouldn’t say that that’s a crucial stat. At the same time, I do want to complete at a high percentage and put the ball in our playmakers’ hands when the time calls for it.”

But anyone simply pointing to box scores and stats, however, is completely missing the point -- and likely displaying and crystallizing their preconceived biases.

To anyone who actually watched the games, Allen's improvement as an NFL quarterback has been undeniable the past several weeks. He's shown improved accuracy, especially on darts over the middle. He's getting to a second read faster than he did early in the season. His willingness to take deep shots (leads all QBs with an 18.7 deep pass percentage) is refreshing and exciting, even when he misses. And he's showing enhanced ability to understand what the defense is trying to do to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002108/article/mcdermott-the-game-is-slowing-down-for-josh-allen

It's going to be interesting to see how Belichick sets up his defense against Josh Allen.

The Lions sat back in coverage forcing Allen to stay in the pocket with a spy on him to stop his running while waiting for him to make a rookie mistake in the passing game. He basically took them apart and burned them for not rushing/ blitzing him more. I kinda doubt the Patriots will attempt the same thing. 

The Patriots are 29th in sacks with only 26 so far and they are 23rd in total defense while 17th against the run, 23rd against the pass. They can be had by running at them as the Steelers did with Jaylen Samuels 19 carries for 142 yards a 7.5 YPC average. Even Dolphin old man Frank Gore had 12 carries for 92 yards with a 7.7 YPC average.

Let's hope that Shady is fully healthy and Daboll opens the offense like he did against Detroit with the run game as the Bills ran the ball a lot in that game. 37 times to be exact and not really with great success as they only had a 3.2 yards per rush. But what that run game did do was keep the lions defense honest in stopping the run. Meanwhile Allen had a lot of time in the pocket to throw and he played pretty well. 

Lastly, I can only hope if Allen throws it to Zay Jones in this game he catches the ball more and if not stop throwing to him and more throws to Foster, Croom and McKenzie. Shady too. 

52% completion rate will kill his career in a hurry. That number needs to go way up. Honestly, he really hasn't shown much progress to date, but hopefully with a year under his belt and a stronger supporting cast next year, we'll see some development. We gave up far too much for Allen and Edmunds for them to be average. Neither has impressed me very much or shown any real progress.

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

52% completion rate will kill his career in a hurry. That number needs to go way up. Honestly, he really hasn't shown much progress to date, but hopefully with a year under his belt and a stronger supporting cast next year, we'll see some development. We gave up far too much for Allen and Edmunds for them to be average. Neither has impressed me very much or shown any real progress.

Utter nonsense

• Like (+1) 1