MAC Championship-UB blows 19pt lead, lose 30-29.

PromoTheRobot

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can’t even blame Leipold.

He isn’t telling them to pump the brakes and lose their intensity. ALL year the players on this team , quit playing when they got a 15+ point lead. Just stopped 

Jackson after the 1st drive of the second half was horrible. Taking terrible sacks, bailing the pocket. Looking lost. The players INTENSITY went away 

i saw it 5 mins into the second half and knew they were in trouble . Tons of talent, no intensity 

Its not Leipolds fault his offense and defense BOTH thought the game was in hand and you can tell they lost their intensity and it’s REALLY hard to get it back 

I know Liepold didn’t tell them to pump the breaks in the second half. The team thought it was a shoe in and didn’t show for the second half

that was the team this year, cannot play for 60 minutes. Players play and have to bring effort for 60. That didn’t happen

The team lost . You are either prepared for the game or not... they were obviously prepared with the first half results... they didn’t execute and play with enough intensity in the second half 

I get what your saying but the coach has to be able to motivate and get the players going. If the players arent responding then you sit them down as a wake up call and put in the guys who will . Obviously you cant do it with the whole team but a team leader for a series should send the message.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They didn't even try to throw to Johnson until they were losing. How crazy is that?

I couldn’t even sleep last night.

The only positive I can spin is that this motivates lance and the team next year. Use this as a lesson and when they win it will be sweeter 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I totally agree.  He has a lot of skill and ability.  He just isn't smart.  He relies too much on his athleticism to get him out of trouble and ends up digging a bigger hole.

I wouldn't say he isn't smart,it's more like immature.Some of his decisions are not thought out well....like 716 suggested,he needs another year at the college level to work on that part of the game (mental).jmo

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I get what your saying but the coach has to be able to motivate and get the players going. If the players arent responding then you sit them down as a wake up call and put in the guys who will . Obviously you cant do it with the whole team but a team leader for a series should send the message.

I get that. They are still kids and They don’t have the depth to be just yanking guys . You can’t lose your edge in a championship game 

it would be nice if they had Bama talent 4 deep so they could

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

The only positive I can spin is that this motivates lance and the team next year. Use this as a lesson and when they win it will be sweeter 

I didn't either....I kept thinking about our issues with the kicking game.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I get that. They are still kids and They don’t have the depth to be just yanking guys . You can’t lose your edge in a championship game 

it would be nice if they had Bama talent 4 deep so they could

They lost their edge have to do something. I would have sat Jackson for a bit and would make every one aware of it. If this has been going on for awhile then it should have been addressed a long time ago but in the practices.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They lost their edge have to do something. I would have sat Jackson for a bit and would make every one aware of it. If this has been going on for awhile then it should have been addressed a long time ago but in the practices.

Yea who knows. It’s a tough call...

Tyree is the MAC player of the year and statistically very good... 

but he also gets into those slumps... who knows how Vantrease would have responded 

but they definitely needed a spark

• Like (+1) 1

I would like to add that I love this team and players.

:To the seniors: Its been a privilege to watch you play these past 4-5 years and I’m sorry you didn’t go out Champions. To see how far you’ve came in that time is amazing and I’m sad I no longer will get to see you play for the Bulls(except the Bowl game)

For the future- Don’t think the arrow isn’t anywhere but up. UB had the lowest ranked MAC recruiting class this last year and look how our Freshman and RS Freshmen performed. They can find and coach football players. There will be a lot more 3* recruits who would love to play in this offense and defense 

Horns Up

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Does Leipold recruit JUCO players? A few good pickups for the defense would be very helpful.

I think there is some truth to the lack of intensity on this club when they are up.  They coulda poured 60+ on Delaware State and Rutgers and some others...but they respect the opponent I guess and bleed the clock and don’t run up points. I get it but maybe that mindset drifted in when UB was up 29-10 late in the third. That’s obviously not a large enough lead over a qaulity team to lay back, but that was their move most of the season.  

Alao, There were a few games this season when the opponent got big momentum, the Bulls were powerless to stop them. Happened again last night

5 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I wouldn't say he isn't smart,it's more like immature.Some of his decisions are not thought out well....like 716 suggested,he needs another year at the college level to work on that part of the game (mental).jmo

I meant football smart.  Interestingly, I'm watching the SEC championship and Danielson mentioned that Tagliavoa throws well but he's not a game manager.   I think that's the issue with Jackson.  He doesn't manage the game...realizing that throwing it away to maintain field position is better than taking a sack.

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, zow2 said:

I think there is some truth to the lack of intensity on this club when they are up.  They coulda poured 60+ on Delaware State and Rutgers and some others...but they respect the opponent I guess and bleed the clock and don’t run up points. I get it but maybe that mindset drifted in when UB was up 29-10 late in the third. That’s obviously not a large enough lead over a qaulity team to lay back, but that was their move most of the season.  

Alao, There were a few games this season when the opponent got big momentum, the Bulls were powerless to stop them. Happened again last night

It was very obvious to me the play calling was dialed down once the Bulls led by 19. First half they came out throwing and  that opened up the run game. NIU is a great defense against the run so making them worry about the long throw was an effective strategy.

In the second half they start running on first and second down. NIU shuts them down. Then it's third and long. I think Leipold was trying to run down the clock and expected his defense to slow down NIU. If that was the case, then it was a bad call by Leipold because this UB defense was not very good all season in those situations. UB had to score 40+ to win because they were giving up 35+ against good teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.