Does anyone remember the Jets game in NJ in 09?

Another Fan

Bills won 16-13 in OT.   It wasn't as bad as the Browns game that year but it was pretty brutal to watch.   Lindell kicked a field goal with no time left in OT to win.  I think it was Lindell?

Rex's and Sanchez's first year with the Jets.  Sanchez threw 5 INT's, including one at the end to I believe Poz which set up the winning FG.  Was as Dick J a coached game as I can remember (ultra conservative to the max).

I guess I'm flashing back to that game now because the Jets have a rookie QB and the Bills have another conservative coach with an extremely weak offense.  Only reason Bills won that day was because of Sanchez's 5 picks.  I think the Jets field goal holder even dropped the snap when they were attempting to win in overtime. 

I just see a very similar game playing out Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Bills won 16-13 in OT.   It wasn't as bad as the Browns game that year but it was pretty brutal to watch.   Lindell kicked a field goal with no time left in OT to win.  I think it was Lindell?

Rex's and Sanchez's first year with the Jets.  Sanchez threw 5 INT's, including one at the end to I believe Poz which set up the winning FG.  Was as Dick J a coached game as I can remember (ultra conservative to the max).

I guess I'm flashing back to that game now because the Jets have a rookie QB and the Bills have another conservative coach with an extremely weak offense.  Only reason Bills won that day was because of Sanchez's 5 picks.  I think the Jets field goal holder even dropped the snap when they were attempting to win in overtime. 

History could very well repeat itself - the parallels are certainly there, but the final score would have to be 9-6 because I think our offense forgot what double digits are.

Edited by ctk232
  • Haha (+1) 2

Here's the boxscore for anyone interested.

The funny thing is, this was the week following the infamous 6-3 Browns game.  Everyone remembers Trent running out of bounds as the end of his time here, but he actually started the Jets game the OP is referring to, and Fitzpatrick came off the bench and took over for the rest of the year.

I always remember the 09 Bills as the weird TO season, but looking back it was really just such a mess of a year...

Jauron went 3-6 before finally getting canned. Fitzpatrick came in and won some games and Fred made his debut as our best RB despite it being his third year with us. Byrd had 9 INTs in 11 games. We canned our OC and went with Alex Van Pelt right as the season began. Crazy year.

God we were terrible, but somehow still better than we are today.

• Like (+1) 1

If I remember this game right, the jets got in fg range in ot, tried to kick the fg and botched it, tried to throw the ball in a panic if I remember right. I vaguely remember this game ending close to 5:30 at night 

Edited by Steptide

21 minutes ago, fridge said:

Here's the boxscore for anyone interested.

The funny thing is, this was the week following the infamous 6-3 Browns game.  Everyone remembers Trent running out of bounds as the end of his time here, but he actually started the Jets game the OP is referring to, and Fitzpatrick came off the bench and took over for the rest of the year.

I always remember the 09 Bills as the weird TO season, but looking back it was really just such a mess of a year...

Jauron went 3-6 before finally getting canned. Fitzpatrick came in and won some games and Fred made his debut as our best RB despite it being his third year with us. Byrd had 9 INTs in 11 games. We canned our OC and went with Alex Van Pelt right as the season began. Crazy year.

God we were terrible, but somehow still better than we are today.

I honestly believe that team could have been so much more that year.  If Fitz started from the beginning and Jauron wasn’t around.  TO and the young Freddie and Stevie were apart of that team as well 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Yes, I remember that game. One of my favorite Jets games of all times was in the 90's when Jet fans were so frustrated about losing that they were starting fires in the stands..

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

It'll probably be something similar to that. We basically have the same coach now as we did in '09. 

21 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

Yes, I remember that game. One of my favorite Jets games of all times was in the 90's when Jet fans were so frustrated about losing that they were starting fires in the stands..

I remember that happening during the MNF blowout at the Meadowland in the late 80s.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

IIRC it was raining hard that day. I was coming back from Newark or somewhere and drove right past the Meadowlands during OT while listening to the game on radio.

I was at the game with a friend who is a big Jets fan, my brother-in-law (another freaking Jets fan) gave us his season tickets a few rows from the top of the stadium in the end zone. A day before the forecast was for a miserable  windy,  cold, rainy day. I was dressed for the worst and ended up sweating my ass off. I don't think it rained heavily during the game.

33 minutes ago, Steptide said:

If I remember this game right, the jets got in fg range in ot, tried to kick the fg and botched it, tried to throw the ball in a panic if I remember right. I vaguely remember this game ending close to 5:30 at night 

Midway through the 2nd quarter a guy and his gf come up to the top of the stadium and offer us his field level end zone tix. Said he wanted to hang with his friends up top. With nothing to lose we head down at half-time and end up maybe 15-20 rows from the field.

Absolutely correct on the botched FG, happened right in front of us. It ended up being the 6th interception of the day for the Jets. An ugly ugly game for sure but I have fond memories of it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=291018020

41 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I honestly believe that team could have been so much more that year.  If Fitz started from the beginning and Jauron wasn’t around.  TO and the young Freddie and Stevie were apart of that team as well 

Jauron fired turk shonert weeks before the season started and promoted Alex van pelt to oc. Bad move. We had a ton of injuries that year also. I believe we had like 12 guys on ir. I remember fans were screaming for jauron to be fired. The team was so ultra conservative and awful. Everyone had enough of jauron by then. It's amazing he lasted 3 and a half seasons 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Jauron fired turk shonert weeks before the season started and promoted Alex van pelt to oc. Bad move. We had a ton of injuries that year also. I believe we had like 12 guys on ir. I remember fans were screaming for jauron to be fired. The team was so ultra conservative and awful. Everyone had enough of jauron by then. It's amazing he lasted 3 and a half seasons 

Incredibly, amazingly...improbably, that offense was somehow more dynamic than it currently is. A 98 or 99 yard TD pass comes to mind.

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Incredibly, amazingly...improbably, that offense was somehow more dynamic than it currently is. A 98 or 99 yard TD pass comes to mind.

It's not that amazing.

Our offense this season may very well go down as the worst in the modern history of the game.

This isn't your good old fashioned variety of Bills suck we are talking about.  

This is something special going on this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, lacoy38 said:

Remember that was Fitz debut as a Bill. On side note how did Mark Sanchez get to 2 AFC title games!!

I actually thought what Rex accomplished in the league his first two years was nothing to sneeze at.  I admittely even liked when they said he was the new coach here.  Obviously he wore out his welcome type thing everywhere