The Marquee Matchup of Week Seven: NO vs. BAL

On 10/16/2018 at 11:24 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

NO.png VS. BAL.png

NFL.com Game Preview

ESPN Game Preview

Saints vs. Ravens | Week 7 Preview (2:35)

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks preview the Saints at Ravens Week 7 matchup.

Ultimate Game Previews: Saints at Ravens (2:42)

Prisco and Quinn Previewing the Saints and Ravens in Week 7.

Unstoppable Force Saints Face Immovable Object Ravens

We’re about to enter Week 7 and the Baltimore Ravens defense has not allowed a second-half touchdown this season. The same defense just set a single-game franchise record with 11 sacks of poor Marcus Mariota. With the 21-0 shutout win over the Titans, the Ravens improved to 4-2 straight up and against the spread.

Their Week 7 opponent, New Orleans, is coming off its bye. The Saints are 7-3 straight up and 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 games after the bye, but just 3-7 SU and 5-5 ATS when playing on the road after the bye. Baltimore opened as a 2-point home favorite, but that has grown to BAL -2.5 as bettors believe the Ravens defense can slow the Saints. New Orleans’ moneyline is +114 and the point total is 50.

@SDS

No demands whatsoever and still mad respect for SDS and the Moderators here, but I still just would like to repeat that this should be pinned.

Yes, it is not Bills related, but we obviously like talking football here and it is nice to have a forum for big games.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

The same Ravens that beat Cleveland 12 - 9?    Who makes these choices?   

This is week 7.  Playoff implications matter from here on out. 

I think the following order has more interest than the Saints Ravens. 

1 New England @ Chicago
2 Cincinnati Kansas City
3 Los Angeles R San Fran **
4 Carolina Philadelphia
5 New Orleans Baltimore
5 Minnesota New York J

** CJ Bethard 

Pats v Bears lost IMO a lot of its luster as Mack I don’t think will be playing. (He hsnt practiced all week) Take away pressure on Brady and he will carve that D up like a Thanksgiving Day Turkey. 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:52 AM, NewEraBills said:

The thing in the Saints favor though is the Saints defense doesn't have to be good.  If the Flacco that played against the Browns shows up, the Ravens are cooked.

To me the bigger matchup in this game is the Saints defense vs the Ravens Offense.  What units will show up?

Browns D is pretty damn good! If that team ever got competent coaching they be very hard to beat.

NFL Week 7: Previews and Analysis of Each Sunday Game

by Andy Benoit 2 hours ago

SAINTS AT RAVENS, 4:05 P.M., FOX

The Ravens, who have allowed the fewest points per game, love to rush five and play zone coverage with six. This is commonly called a “fire zone.” The Saints, who have scored the most points per game, have two staple plays that naturally attack fire zones: slant routes, where top receiver Michael Thomas excels, and backfield screens, which running backs Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara execute extremely well. Slants and screens get the ball underneath, away from that fifth Baltimore pass rusher.

John Harbaugh on How Crowd Noise Impacts Drew Brees, Saints (4:42)

Head Coach John Harbaugh talks about an injury to Marlon Humphrey and the status of the offensive line with Alex Lewis dealing with a neck injury.

Seven New Orleans Saints players were listed on Friday's Injury Report for Week 7 against the Baltimore Ravens

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Position Name Injury Wednesday Thursday Friday Game Status
DT Taylor Stallworth Ankle DNP DNP DNP Out
G Andrus Peat Head LP DNP DNP Out
T Terron Armstead Knee LP FP FP  
WR Cameron Meredith Knee LP FP FP  
CB Marshon Lattimore Concussion FP FP FP  
G Larry Warford Back   DNP LP Questionable
OL Jermon Bushrod NIR   DNP DNP Questionable

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Position Name Injury Wednesday Thursday Friday Game Status
WR John Brown NIR DNP FP FP  
CB Brandon Carr Knee DNP FP FP  
G Alex Lewis Neck DNP DNP DNP Out
S Eric Weddle NIR DNP FP FP  
CB Anthony Averett Hamstring LP LP LP Questionable
DB/LB Anthony Levine, Sr. Hamstring LP LP FP Questionable
CB Marlon Humphrey Thigh   LP DNP Questionable

Week 7 NFL Score Predictions: A Guide to Best Games, More

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truebal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Saints (4-1) at Ravens (4-2): 4:05 p.m. ET, Fox

Point spread: BAL -2.5 Matchup quality: 80.9 (of 100)

Mike Triplett's pick: I'm tempted to pick a loss here for the Saints since they're on the road and facing the NFL's No. 1 defense. But I can't bet against Drew Brees accomplishing something he wants to add to his career bucket list in felling the Ravens, the only team he has never beaten in his 18-year career. And the Saints actually have been very good outdoors lately, with a 5-2 record over the past two years. Expect Brees to lean on his RB duo of Alvin Kamaraand Mark Ingram to get this one done. Saints 25, Ravens 22

Jamison Hensley's pick: The Ravens are coming off a franchise-record 11 sacks, but they'll be hard-pressed to get to Brees. He gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone in the league, which creates a big problem for Baltimore. Since the start of the 2015 season, the Ravens are 11-17 (.392) when recording two or fewer sacks in a game. Saints 30, Ravens 27

FPI win projection: BAL, 60.4 percent. Brees is second in the league with a 79.2 Total QBR this season, but he goes on the road to face a Ravens defense that has allowed the lowest Total QBR in the league (44.2). The Ravens lead the league in defensive efficiency and are allowing an NFL-best 8.5 points per game at home.

Surprising Stats: Week 7

New Orleans Saints at Baltimore Ravens

During the preseason, rookie Tre'Quan Smith caught 15 passes for 189 receiving yards and a touchdown. In Week 5 before the Saints' bye, Smith caught only three passes, but they went for 111 yards and two touchdowns. Smith led the Saints in air yards in the game. Prior to Week 5, Smith only had one catch for 18 yards during the regular season.

Willie Snead has been on the field for 72 percent or more of the Ravens' offensive snaps over the last two weeks. He's had five-plus catches or scored a touchdown in all but one game this year. In Snead's first year as a Saint, he caught 69 passes for 984 yards and three touchdowns.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ravens score a TD to close to 24-23, but Justin Tucker missed the XP with just under 1 minute left.  Wow!

The absolute most shocking way the game could have ended. Brees runs the table by beating every team thanks to the best kicker in the NFL missing is first XP ever.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ravens score a TD to close to 24-23, but Justin Tucker missed the XP with just under 1 minute left.  Wow!

And that is just one of the reasons smart coaches go for 2 in that situation.  I’m glad Gruden’s gutlessness was punished.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

And that is just one of the reasons smart coaches go for 2 in that situation.  I’m glad Gruden’s gutlessness was punished.

I think you mean Harbaugh, but you can't blame him for attempting something that's worked 222 times without fail. Pardon me if your post was sarcastic though:)

Just now, 416BillsFan said:

I think you mean Harbaugh, but you can't blame him for attempting something that's worked 222 times without fail. Pardon me if your post was sarcastic though:)

He thinks coaches should always go for two in that scenario. 

1 minute ago, 416BillsFan said:

I have Brees, Kamara, Collins, and Tucker in Fantasy.  Tucker screwed me by missing the PAT.  of course if I'd just started Mack I'd have won for sure.

Edited by jlgarsh

6 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Right, Harbaugh.  No, i was not being sarcastic.  Kickers miss extra points, especially now that they were moved back. 5% failure rate.  Teams succeed on two point-conversions 47-48% of the time.  Tying the game with a 1-point kick sends you to OT, where youve got a 50/50 chance of losing.  Make the deuce and the game’s over.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He thinks coaches should always go for two in that scenario. 

Yep

30 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

But in that scenario, even if you believe he’s a perfect kicker the strategy only works a little under 50% of the time if your goal is a win. 1 gets you to overtime which is 50-50 (minus ties). If your goal is a win and you factor in ties and imperfect kickers, it’s an interesting position to debate

What We Learned from Sunday's Week 7 Games

1. Sunday's matchup featured the league's top scoring offense against the top defense, and the game came as advertised with a hard-fought battle on both sides. The Saints, however, came out on top after putting up 24 points and surviving Ravens kicker Justin Tucker's first career missed extra point in the waning seconds of the game. The 24 points scored by the Saints represent the most the Ravens have allowed since the Cincinnati Bengals scored 34 in Week 2. The Ravens entered the day allowing just 12.8 points per game.

Quarterback Drew Brees led the charge, completing 22 of 30 passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns as the Saints improved to 5-1, winning five straight games. Sunday proved historical for Brees as he entered the game with 499 career touchdown passes. Brees joined the NFL's exclusive 500 career touchdown club in the second quarter on a 1-yard TD pass to tight end Benjamin Watson, then added a 5-yard scoring strike to wide receiver Michael Thomas in the fourth quarter.

Brees, who now has 501 career touchdown passes, became the fourth quarterback in league history to join the 500 Club along with Peyton Manning (539), Hall of Famer Brett Favre (508) and Tom Brady(504). With the win against the Ravens, Brees also became the third quarterback in league history to defeat all 32 teams, a feat previously accomplished by Manning and Favre.

2. While he fumbled at the Ravens' 6-yard line, Saints backup quarterback Taysom Hill continues to prove he is 100 percent a football player, not a gadget player. The Saints look to utilize Hill in a variety of offensive packages, including lining up as a tight end to block.

All Hill does is produce, either taking snaps and running or getting down the field on special teams. Against the Ravens, Hill gained 35 yards rushing on six carries and produced two tackles while covering kicks. Hill has the full trust of Saints head coach Sean Payton. And it's a virtual certainty Payton, one of the league's brightest offensive-minded coaches, will continue to seek ways to work in Hill on any give play.

3. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco put his team on his back with 2:03 remaining in the game and facing a 24-17 deficit. Flacco engineered a six-play, 81-yard drive, capped off by a 14-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver John Brown. On the game, Flacco completed 23 of 39 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns.

Following Flacco's last touchdown pass, all the Ravens needed to send the game to overtime was for Tucker to do something he's done 222 out of 222 times on his seven-year career: make the extra point.

Unfortunately, Tucker's kick sliced wide right, leaving a stunned wide-eyed expression on the two-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowl selection's face.

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Pic of Tucker's reaction is priceless.

After the Ravens scored I thought to myself (having no dog in that fight) wouldn't it be a hoot if the best kicker in the game muffed the extra point. I knew it wasn't possible tho. Football is a funny game that can mess with your head. 

Utter disbelief. I couldn't believe it myself. 

OrganicElaborateFishingcat-size_restrict