Offensive woes - how we got here and where to go from here

KingBoots8

Well, I think we can all agree that today was a ball breaker. The defense was amazing and likely would have got the job done if the offense could have maintained some form of momentum. It is what it is... but how did it get so bad?

You may think it started last year when Sammy was traded, or with Jordan Matthews getting hurt or the KB trade. At the time the moves made sense for us, and I don’t think that’s it. Sammy would still be gone even if we didn’t trade him I believe. It truly started in Jacksonville in January.

Tyrod goes down, Nate does exactly what he did today and the game is over. Eric Woods has, unbeknownst to him, played his last game ever. They now have a glaring OL hole (on top of an already suspect right side. Incognito, who has been absolutely great since rejoining the Bills, loses his mind and has an incredibly bad offseason- to the point we grant him his release. Now we have a left tackle and 4 meatbags who are entrusted to protect our QB- who happens to be a Rookie we threw out there before we initially intended.

I’m honestly frustrated with Allen but not ready to blame him for it- he is a raw rookie who we knew needed to sit and watch. On top of that, the support around him is lacking severely. Kelvin is disinterested, we have a hodge podge receiving team (with Zak being the only one who is trying to ball out. I really am encouraged by his production this year and I think he’s going to be fine). We have a RB and a left tackle who are safe as far as starting goes, and I don’t honestly think you can bench Allen at this point because he needs to grow and get these lessons learned as soon as possible so that next year we can put some talent around him and see what he’s got. 

How do we fix it?

We need to get talent as far as the WR are concerned, and fast (if we intend to save this season). If anyone’s got feelers out there for trade candidates we need to be on the phone. Amari Cooper, Mohammad Sanu, hell if you could snag Golden Tate from Detroit to light a fire in the offense I’m all for it. Spend a third on whoever and get a sure thing. If KB is really phoning it in, he has to be shipped out. Set the precedent that crap like that isn’t acceptable. Simplify routes and work on getting the run game involved more- we have a great RB group and we are not utilizing their abilities enough. Play to 

i don’t think we are going to have much luck here and now with the OL. As people start dropping teams are going to preserve anything they have. We wait until FA to get that handled. It sucks, but that’s the reality- we would have to seriously overpay I think to land quality OL help. These guys have to gel for now and hopefully there’s some hope out there for us next year.

Barring another unforeseen injury like Woods we need to get the draft set up for the offense. WR priority #1. If we can get a veteran in FA or a trade, the Erik and Zay will likely be competent enough. Whatever we don’t fill on OL before the draft is next. Get a RT or guard. If there’s a good Cebter out there we get him too unless Bodine or Groh get it together. I don’t mind some defense (like a DT or CB) but that can’t take presidence over the Offense.

...Daboll better be able to figure something out soon or I think he doesn’t make it to next season. Even with the lack of talent he needs to find plays and gameplan to what he has to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

They got there because they cut expensive players, traded a lineman and had two more really good linemen either lose the plot or retire due to injury.

It can be fixed with 90 mil and 10 draft picks.

It's not that complicated.  Nice and concise. :beer:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

Firing Daboll won't do anything. We have bad talent everywhere and the worst of all is QB position. Josh may develop but it doesn't look good early on (I know, I know...it wasn't supposed to for him yada yada). 

OL was unfortunate. WR was front office's fault for not addressing. QB is unforgivable lack of planning by front office and a likely miss on Josh w/ a cost of 2 1sts. 

I'm ready to tank at this point. Get the #1 and trade back. 

Edited by dayman

We need better QB play.

Plain and simple.

You can't expect to win in the NFL when your starting QB is 32nd in QB Rating, 32nd in team pass yards, 20th in rushing and 32nd in points scored. 

Edited by jrober38

22 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

They got there because they cut expensive players, traded a lineman and had two more really good linemen either lose the plot or retire due to injury.

It can be fixed with 90 mil and 10 draft picks.

Can I interest you in the purchase of a slightly used but recently rehabbed bridge over Chautauqua Lake?  You seem like just the kind of guy who would jump at that opportunity.

I expected more from Daboll. Thought he was this Belichick prodigy. Apparently not. Losing Wood & Incognito hurt and Miller and Ducasse have not stepped up.

We have no wrs after Zay. Dimarco is a joke and so is Thomas. ST was a complete embarrassment today. Peterman will finally be released this week. They'll probably sign Paxton or Landry as a #3 qb.

30 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

We need better QB play.

Plain and simple.

You can't expect to win in the NFL when your starting QB is 32nd in QB Rating, 32nd in team pass yards, 20th in rushing and 32nd in points scored. 

All Bills fans know this. How do they get there ? 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

All Bills fans know this. How do they get there ? 

They need to keep adding talent at the QB position.

Allen might get better, but they can't assume that's a given. I'd probably draft someone and let them compete with Allen for the starting gig. 

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They need to keep adding talent at the QB position.

Allen might get better, but they can't assume that's a given. I'd probably draft someone and let them compete with Allen for the starting gig. 

Sure, as we know Peterman can’t do this. Won’t help the situation this year though. Have to roll with Allen ( if healthy) but Daboll and the rest of these coaches have to change something up to help out. 

The bottom line is that things aren't going to change a lot during the season.  Hopefully, young players, including the QB, will mature through the season and be better at the end than they are now, but decisions on personnel changes going forward will not be made until the offseason, except for fringe players, who can be changed in and out at any time.  The Bills may win some games, but don't look like a serious threat to make the playoffs again this season.  I still hope that Beane and McDermott are making the choices that ultimately will produce a consistent winner, but I think in the short term they may have underestimated how bad it could get.  

In general, it looks like the offseason will be focussed on upgrading offensive personnel, though the Bills may have to start thinking some about getting a little younger on the defensive line.  Lorenzo Alexander can't last forever either.  Still, the Bills need to invest in their offensive line, wide receivers and at running back.  Yes, they may need to look at QB too, but that's not set in stone, at least not in the first round.

How we got here is the last 2 drafts, most of the premium picks, outside of Allen have been spent on the defensive side of the ball. I also think the defensive players adjust more quickly to the NFL game than the offensive players. Zay is just starting to produce. Allen is raw. Dawkins has been solid. Peterman is a hot mess. Other than Benjamin, the emphasis in free agency has also been on the defensive side of the ball. McDermott clearly knows how to build a defense. Can he build an offense? That has yet to be determined. 

Edited by Andy1