Ali Marpet extends with Buccs

GunnerBill

Apologise if there is already a thread on this couldn't see one. Ali Marpet has been mentioned be a fair few posters here as a potential FA target for the Bills in 2019 with experience in the NFL at guard and center. He re-signed with Tampa yesterday. 

Price tage may still be of interest given the Bills are in that market in the offseason - Marpet, a good but not elite interior OL, got 5 years $54m. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Apologise if there is already a thread on this couldn't see one. Ali Marpet has been mentioned be a fair few posters here as a potential FA target for the Bills in 2019 with experience in the NFL at guard and center. He re-signed with Tampa yesterday. 

Price tage may still be of interest given the Bills are in that market in the offseason - Marpet, a good but not elite interior OL, got 5 years $54m. 

There is another thread (that I posted), but I’d disagree with Marpet not being elite. He’s been rated as a top 5-10 player at his position all 4 years of his career now and he’s done it while playing 3 different positions. I think he’s more than deserving of being one of the highest paid in the league. 

The "cap space is our savior" folks are in for a rude awakening this offseason. And FWIW, I think the plan (process?) is to mostly roll over that cap space and eventually use it to re-sign guys like Tre White and Dion Dawkins. Obviously supplemented with external FAs both in 2019 and beyond. 

12 minutes ago, Cash said:

The "cap space is our savior" folks are in for a rude awakening this offseason. And FWIW, I think the plan (process?) is to mostly roll over that cap space and eventually use it to re-sign guys like Tre White and Dion Dawkins. Obviously supplemented with external FAs both in 2019 and beyond. 

I can’t wait for the ‘Front office asleep at the wheel’ threads when a good free agent signs with a team other than Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

There is another thread (that I posted), but I’d disagree with Marpet not being elite. He’s been rated as a top 5-10 player at his position all 4 years of his career now and he’s done it while playing 3 different positions. I think he’s more than deserving of being one of the highest paid in the league. 

Fair enough. I have him just below that. I'd put him in that 8-15 category as a guard. Maybe similar as a center. 

we don't need to sign every decent guard or center that comes up in free agency.  We just need one.   I'd prefer we signed a decent guard and drafted a center.   Then drafted a tackle somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round.   I'd really like for Boettger to develop into a RT for us.