Foolproof method for hooking BIG Asian Carp

Cripple Creek

“The best manmade material is mushed potato,” says Kajiwara. “But regular mushed potato is too fluffy. It won’t hold to the hook. That’s why Marukyu developed its Mushed Potato Tokoyou.”

Marukyu Mushed Potato Tokuyou combines a binding agent with its potato ingredient. The formulation enables the bait to adhere to the hook.

The trick is getting the mush that they like to adhere to a hook.  Here's your answer anglers.  These fish are fine eating so don't be afraid to filet the monsters. I find that baking is the best preparation.

I run into people all the time, some of them supposedly very learned people, who swear that what is described in this article is unpossible.  I smugly point them to this article and I've yet to find one who can refute the knowledge it lays down.

https://smallwatersfishing.biz/2015/04/29/tackle-techniques-asian-carp/

• Thank you (+1) 1

Excuse me BUT, I heard from a very reliable source that Asian Carp do not “bite” the hook...they simply inhale the hook in their gills. So NO, you are not “catching” carp in the traditional sense. You are snagging them. Potatoes, Cheetohs, Turkey Gravy...none of it matters. Use a bare hook. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Excuse me BUT, I heard from a very reliable source that Asian Carp do not “bite” the hook...they simply inhale the hook in their gills. So NO, you are not “catching” carp in the traditional sense. You are snagging them. Potatoes, Cheetohs, Turkey Gravy...none of it matters. Use a bare hook. 

Since when have you become a carp expert?  Rumor has it that you have been spending a lot of time with EII.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Since when have you become a carp expert?  Rumor has it that you have been spending a lot of time with EII.

Me and EII are tight...he taught me everything I know about the environmental benefits of a vibrant Asian Carp population and mechanized control of water levels in man-made tributaries. I am an Exiled disciple. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Me and EII are tight...he taught me everything I know about the environmental benefits of a vibrant Asian Carp population and mechanized control of water levels in man-made tributaries. I am an Exiled disciple. 

Was this the full 3 credit hour course? Did you pay in Meadcoins? Beer? Grilled shrimp? 

I see the "try to get Asian Carp to bite at the actual hook" crowd is getting more and more creative.

How did I miss this thread.  LoL...

Just get a lure rig with cage that holds bread, mashed potatoes, etc... With treble hooks dangling on the rig... The stuff will disintergrate and as the carp filter feed will stumble onto the hooks.  Set the hook and fight away.  Hook a 100 pound monster... They fight!

Better yet... Set a trot line with same lure rigs!

Best part, no fishing license needed take as many as you want... Other game fish won't bite a "clean" hook, so no "collateral damage."

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I see the "try to get Asian Carp to bite at the actual hook" crowd is getting more and more creative.

Just get a lure rig with cage that holds bread, mashed potatoes, etc... With treble hooks dangling on the rig... The stuff will disintergrate and as the carp filter feed will stumble onto the hooks.  Set the hook and fight away.  Hook a 100 pound monster... They fight!

Best part, no fishing license needed take as many as you want... Other game fish won't bite a "clean" hook, so no "collateral damage."

You need to educate yourself.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe a boat version of a Roomba Vacuum would work? Let it troll around unmanned while fish just jump in? Bring it back from time to time so some 14 year old kid can throw the fish on ice.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe a boat version of a Roomba Vacuum would work? Let it troll around unmanned while fish just jump in? Bring it back from time to time so some 14 year old kid can throw the fish on ice.  

Drone boat!  x2 thumbs up!!!

This from almost 10 years ago:

9 Years Ago

8 Years Ago

This from almost 5 years ago:

4 Years Ago

Yeah... They are really "invading" the Great Lakes.  Hey!  Let's destroy a $1.6 BILLION ecomony in just one state: Ports of Indiana.  LoL... Does Indiana even have "ports."  LMAO.  I guess they do, and do $1.6 billion in business a year. ONLY ONE State and they don't even have the canal within their boundaries! Ha!

Oh... Fat chance w/Pence in Office and all the Southern Red States doing business with Illinois & Indiana.  LMAO.  Yep, the Reps & Sens in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Alabama will all vote to close petrol-chem shipping over a fish they have been dealing w/for decades and fall for the "Chicken Little" sob stories from the Northern Great Lakes coalition (sans NYS ajoining lawsuit).  Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, & Pennsylvania went "Red" last Election... LoL... Fat chance!!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Drone boat!  x2 thumbs up!!!

This from almost 10 years ago:

9 Years Ago

8 Years Ago

This from almost 5 years ago:

4 Years Ago

Yeah... They are really "invading" the Great Lakes.  Hey!  Let's destroy a $1.6 BILLION ecomony in just one state: Ports of Indiana.  LoL... Does Indiana even have "ports."  LMAO.  I guess they do, and do $1.6 billion in business a year. ONLY ONE State and they don't even have the canal within their boundaries! Ha!

I didn’t hit all the links, but after visiting the Green Bay/Appleton market recently, they have some locks they will not open to control some voracious and dominating fish. They don’t want to lose Lake Winnebago to the fish in the Fox River.  It seems like just a matter of time. Nature finds a way.   

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t hit all the links, but after visiting the Green Bay/Appleton market recently, they have some locks they will not open to control some voracious and dominating fish. They don’t want to lose Lake Winnebago to the fish in the Fox River.  It seems like just a matter of time. Nature finds a way.   

They used to be Fed, Corps controlled till the 1950s... Then commercial shipping left, the US turned it over to State of Wisconsin, all the locks (small locks).

Actually... Invasive sea lamprey from the Finger Lakes and expansion of Seaway in 1959 altered the running of those locks.  They would close certain ones for a year to stop sea lamprey spawn going to Oshkosh & Lake Winnebago.  Later, they found the "silver bullet" w/lamprey.  They cyanide the spawning beds I think. Top of food chain was lake trout, they were hit hard by the lamprey, over-fishing & pollution.  In 1967,  they introduced NW Pacific salmon into the middle Lakes, rest is history with salmon in Great Lakes outside of native Atlantic salmon in Lake Ontario.

Big Chute on Trent Severn from Lake Huron to Lake Ontario in Canada... Shifted from conventional locks to Marine Railway to combat lamprey migration:

350px-Big_chute_acansino.jpg

1920px-AlteBigChuteMarineRailway.JPG

They could easily do this for Asian carp to protect Lake Winnebago.  It's only for Pleasure Craft, and locks in Wisconsin are very small and antiquated.

On the big commercial rivers, might be not feasible to do this with 600, 1000, 1,500 foot long vessels... Engineering/cost effective.

They have proposed locks that don't mix water.  A pre-lock that drains all water and pumps it back from a reservoir... YET, those ideas will work better more towards Joliet, Illinois where the "choke point" is on the Illinois Waterway.

It's all about money & no legal wrong has been committed.  Big what ifs.  Supreme Court will never overturn 200+ years of legal precedent on "what ifs."  No tort has been committed & IMHO, never will be.  This has been going on for decades now. Where are they in Great Lakes?

Just my 2 cents.  $$$$$ will always talk.  Business, commodities, natural resources pay the bills!  Dreamer enviros tax others.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Has nothing to do with being man-made.  We just improved a natural connection.

This was re-affirmed as the first act of Congress under newly ratified US Constitution in 1789:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/nworder.asp

The "Chicago Portage" is also a "carrying place" @ the continental divide. It is also a tributary into the MS & St.Lawrence.  It says nothing about it having to be "natural."  Which it is natural.  It's just improved, stabilized, etc... Which means it's deepened and navigable waters are kept year 'round... Dry season, wet season etc...  There was always a connection, just not an improved connection @ the Chicago carrying point. Even if it wasn't improved, the waters would still be navigable by a canoe.

Even if they close the locks, the Fed Gov't would have to provide a free carrying point.  I can operate a crane or a train.

This be the first legislation ever passed in our Great Country and one of the most important as the fledgling Confederacy BEFORE we became who we are as a nation.  So important that one of the very first things Congress did was to reaffirm it under OUR current Constitution:  ?

Art. 4. ...

...The navigable waters leading into the Mississippi and St. Lawrence, and the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways and forever free, as well to the inhabitants of the said territory as to the citizens of the United States, and those of any other States that may be admitted into the confederacy, without any tax, impost, or duty therefor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Rather than ask how to catch a carp, a better question to ask is why one would want to catch a carp.

Differentiate.  What kind of "carp."

Asian or common.  Two very VERY different species.

Pound for pound... One of the best fighters when they can stumble onto Your hook.  Very light bumps into hook, set it, and You're in for a treat.

Again... Carp fishing in Europe is considered a "game" fish.  COMMON that is.  COMMON carp were introduced in N.America by Europeans.  Late 1800s, early 1900s COMMON carp were revered as good eating... If done right.  Then the fish got the stigma of being "rough" trash fish... Mainly eaten by the poor, or for some racis' out there, God forbid, in the then land of Jim Crow "Separate But Equal": African Americans. /gasp /smh

One of the oldest COMMON carp serving restaurants in the US is in Omaha, NE.  Joe Tess Place.  One of the most famous COMMON carp sammy's in the world:

https://www.joetessplace.com

BTW, Omaha is on the Missouri river between the The Mighty MO & Platte Rivers. Where do You think they got the fish from back in the 1930s?  Hey, even today!

Tradition

It's as simple as that. Joe Tess Place began as a neighborhood tavern in the 1930s. The main attraction became the Famous Fish Sandwich itself. Cut carp portions were fried in a skillet, placed in a cookie jar and sold for 15 cents. Ever since, the humble carp has been the driving force behind Joe Tess Place. From its simple beginnings, Joe Tess Place is now a successful family restaurant in the tradition of friendly service and high quality fresh fish products. 

Owner, Bill Falt worked at 'Tess' as a young boy. Falt's hard work, experience and a love for 'the fish business' have made a successful enterprise. 

"We retained the name 'Joe Tess Place' because everyone was familiar with it from the old days," said Falt. "Today we operate Joe Tess Place and Falt Fisheries, the live hauling operation and fish processing plant in Bellevue, Nebraska." 

After 50 years of success, Falt says he's looking forward to another 50 years promoting the Famous Fish Sandwich.

COMMON carp WILL bite @ baitedbaited hook. ~EiL, noted 10/9/2018 @ 16:29