Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

57 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Rutgers blew any chance they had down 1 and don’t even get a shot off 

They just choked away the game. Really bad offensive possessions down the stretch. 

I don’t mind playing Houston. They will be tough, but we are playing really well now. 

BTw, Brendan Haywood is tough to listen to— wow. 

• Agree 2

It's interesting because Syracuse's depth players seem like they've really come into their own at the end of the year.  Richmond, Braswell and Edwards look like real forces on this team and all 3 look like they have incredibly promising futures in Syracuse.  Braswell looks like he'll be playing in the NBA in 2-3 years.

I really have mixed feelings about Girard... especially as a point guard.  I think Richmond will make a better point guard moving forward next year and then obviously when Buddy leaves the problem is almost solved as Girard can just become a shooting guard.

Well... I would never make a prediction about our next game.  But Syracuse has already proven they can beat anyone since they pretty much dominated both opening games against supposedly superior opponents.

Just waiting for the time of tip off next Saturday...

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's interesting because Syracuse's depth players seem like they've really come into their own at the end of the year.  Richmond, Braswell and Edwards look like real forces on this team and all 3 look like they have incredibly promising futures in Syracuse.  Braswell looks like he'll be playing in the NBA in 2-3 years.

I really have mixed feelings about Girard... especially as a point guard.  I think Richmond will make a better point guard moving forward next year and then obviously when Buddy leaves the problem is almost solved as Girard can just become a shooting guard.

Well... I would never make a prediction about our next game.  But Syracuse has already proven they can beat anyone since they pretty much dominated both opening games against supposedly superior opponents.

He's already a RS SO so he only has 2 years left on the hill and I don't think he's an NBA guy

Richmond on the other hand

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's already a RS SO so he only has 2 years left on the hill and I don't think he's an NBA guy

Richmond on the other hand

Really?

I think Richmond looks like he'll be an NBA player if he can ever figure out how to finish around the rim.  Braswell appears to have the athleticism to get it done around the rim and has been hitting distance shots lately, too.

Regardless... Syracuse looks pretty good moving into the next couple seasons.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really?

I think Richmond looks like he'll be an NBA player if he can ever figure out how to finish around the rim.  Braswell appears to have the athleticism to get it done around the rim and has been hitting distance shots lately, too.

Regardless... Syracuse looks pretty good moving into the next couple seasons.

It's like apples to oranges. One is a 6'5 true freshman point guard with an elite skill set for the NBA

Braswell is basically a junior coming into his best basketball now.. and he really can't go off the dribble much.. he's a tremendous athlete, knows the defensive zone, and is a solid shooter.. I like his game and I think he's going to be a good part of the team next year

I think guerrier has a better chance of getting drafted honestly when he decides to leave

Syracuse has a great history of small forwards getting drafted. Recently Elijah Hughes, malachi richardson, gbinije, jerami grant, kris Joseph... I think incoming freshman Benny Williams will be next up 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Girard has been a real enigma his entire career at Syracuse, but something seems to have clicked these last two games. Never seen him play with such confidence. He was huge for us tonight.  Not only with his shooting— but his D has improved. He’s handling well Against really tough pressure, and the guy is chasing down all sorts of rebounds— I think he had like 7 rebounds tonight. 

I think this team really needs him and Buddy to shoot well to actually continue this run. The only other consistent outside shooter is Griffen and he’s just a mess now. 

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Girard has been a real enigma his entire career at Syracuse, but something seems to have clicked these last two games. Never seen him play with such confidence. He was huge for us tonight.  Not only with his shooting— but his D has improved. He’s handling well Against really tough pressure, and the guy is chasing down all sorts of rebounds— I think he had like 7 rebounds tonight. 

I think this team really needs him and Buddy to shoot well to actually continue this run. The only other consistent outside shooter is Griffen and he’s just a mess now. 

It would be nice if we can play some small ball with Richmond at the 1 girard at 2 and buddy at 3 with guerrier at 4 and dolezaj at the 5, the penetration and kick out to either or would be great I think 

20 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

It would be nice if we can play some small ball with Richmond at the 1 girard at 2 and buddy at 3 with guerrier at 4 and dolezaj at the 5, the penetration and kick out to either or would be great I think 

We have seen some of Richmond, Girard , Buddy and Dolezaj on the court together.. it's a good offensive lineup but it struggles to rebound 

And people need remember Girard is still only a sophomore.. people put pressure on him like he's supposed to be a top 10 pick... We're going to need him this tournament and the next couple years if we want to go anywhere

He's a really good shooting point guard but he does have some limitations.. but so do most players

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's like apples to oranges. One is a 6'5 true freshman point guard with an elite skill set for the NBA

Braswell is basically a junior coming into his best basketball now.. and he really can't go off the dribble much.. he's a tremendous athlete, knows the defensive zone, and is a solid shooter.. I like his game and I think he's going to be a good part of the team next year

I think guerrier has a better chance of getting drafted honestly when he decides to leave

Syracuse has a great history of small forwards getting drafted. Recently Elijah Hughes, malachi richardson, gbinije, jerami grant, kris Joseph... I think incoming freshman Benny Williams will be next up 

Yes I agree about Guerrier... especially since he's developing that outside shot. He needs to get better finishing around the rim, too.

As for Braswell vs Richmond... like I said... I like both. And if you're saying Braswell is "basically a Junior," then I assume you're saying he still has 3 years of eligibility in CBB, correct? That's an eternity to improve... and I don't see why an athletic 6'9 forward who can finish around the rim and shoot from outside will also be required to handle the ball like a point guard in the NBA... not every forward in the NBA is LeBron. 

I just think if Richmond were to really pop as a strong NBA prospect he'd be able to finish the way Johnny Flynn was consistently able to.

Regardless... by the sounds of it both guys have 3 years of eligibility after this year so they have 3 years to keep getting better.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll be surprised if Kadary doesn't end up on NBA radars either next year or the year after. His defense, passing ability, poise, and size as a ball-handler is going to get him looks just like it did MCW. He's the most promising guy on the roster right now in terms of NBA prospects.

Guerrier's development as a shooter is huge for his prospects. I'm curious to see if he ends up getting drafted at some point. He seems to be what we had hoped Oshae Brissett might be for us.

If Buddy can sustain himself as a 40+% shooter, I think he'll get a shot to earn a place in the league like Matt Thomas and Duncan Robinson did but we'll see.

I don't think anyone else on the roster has NBA potential (barring someone currently marginal like Edwards, Anselem, or Newton developing a lot in the near future).

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'll be surprised if Kadary doesn't end up on NBA radars either next year or the year after. His defense, passing ability, poise, and size as a ball-handler is going to get him looks just like it did MCW. He's the most promising guy on the roster right now in terms of NBA prospects.

Guerrier's development as a shooter is huge for his prospects. I'm curious to see if he ends up getting drafted at some point. He seems to be what we had hoped Oshae Brissett might be for us.

If Buddy can sustain himself as a 40+% shooter, I think he'll get a shot to earn a place in the league like Matt Thomas and Duncan Robinson did but we'll see.

I don't think anyone else on the roster has NBA potential (barring someone currently marginal like Edwards, Anselem, or Newton developing a lot in the near future).

Agreed. I would expect Kadary is gone after his sophomore season, and Guerrier is gone after this season. Guerrier could use another season, but I say that about everyone who leaves and am always wrong (Jerami

Grant, Brissett, Lydon, McCullough). 

I actually have this weird feeling that Griffen may end up in the NBA. 

13 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I would expect Kadary is gone after his sophomore season, and Guerrier is gone after this season. Guerrier could use another season, but I say that about everyone who leaves and am always wrong (Jerami

I totally forgot about Griffin, but yes, I do think he has a chance at the NBA. I think he may be transferring out of Syracuse at the end of the year though. I fully expect Guerrier to test the NBA waters and see what his stock is looking like before he decides whether or not to return. I'm not confident he'd be drafted this year though so I'm pretty hopeful we'll get one more year out of him. I don't think he hates it here the way Brissett did so I don't think he'll rush himself to the NBA if he looks unlikely to be drafted.

Edit: Lydon and McCullough were viewed as likely 1st round picks so it made a lot of sense for them to go pro. Grant was a potential 1st rounder and a lock to be picked and his family needed the money so he left. Brissett just didn't like it here and didn't think he was developing the way he needed to so he figured he might as well try his luck with professional coaches/training programs.

Edited by DCOrange

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I totally forgot about Griffin, but yes, I do think he has a chance at the NBA. I think he may be transferring out of Syracuse at the end of the year though. I fully expect Guerrier to test the NBA waters and see what his stock is looking like before he decides whether or not to return. I'm not confident he'd be drafted this year though so I'm pretty hopeful we'll get one more year out of him. I don't think he hates it here the way Brissett did so I don't think he'll rush himself to the NBA if he looks unlikely to be drafted.

Edit: Lydon and McCullough were viewed as likely 1st round picks so it made a lot of sense for them to go pro. Grant was a potential 1st rounder and a lock to be picked and his family needed the money so he left. Brissett just didn't like it here and didn't think he was developing the way he needed to so he figured he might as well try his luck with professional coaches/training programs.

that’s interesting about Brissett. I didn’t know he had issues with Syracuse. I would have loved to see him play 4 years. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that’s interesting about Brissett. I didn’t know he had issues with Syracuse. I would have loved to see him play 4 years. 

Yeah, it was one of those situations where player and coach just disagreed on how he should be utilized. Oshae thought he needed to play on the perimeter more to prove that his game could translate to the NBA and Boeheim wanted him inside because that was so clearly where he was at his best for us.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes I agree about Guerrier... especially since he's developing that outside shot. He needs to get better finishing around the rim, too.

As for Braswell vs Richmond... like I said... I like both. And if you're saying Braswell is "basically a Junior," then I assume you're saying he still has 3 years of eligibility in CBB, correct? That's an eternity to improve... and I don't see why an athletic 6'9 forward who can finish around the rim and shoot from outside will also be required to handle the ball like a point guard in the NBA... not every forward in the NBA is LeBron. 

I just think if Richmond were to really pop as a strong NBA prospect he'd be able to finish the way Johnny Flynn was consistently able to.

Regardless... by the sounds of it both guys have 3 years of eligibility after this year so they have 3 years to keep getting better.

Absolutely. But I wouldn't expect most players from Syracuse to use that extra year of eligibility for covid 

Even the players that aren't NBA caliber in Syracuse are professional caliber overseas.. If sidibe is healthy I can see him taking it tho

And I never said that Braswell has to handle it like a point guard. but a small forward that gets in the nba absolutely has to be able to put the ball on the deck.. atleast like oshae brissett , or kris Joseph.. and create his own shot.. he can't yet

I'm not saying he can't get there, because Syracuse is always great at developing players.. I just think he's more of a James Sutherland 3&d guy

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Lydon should have absolutely stayed

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, it was one of those situations where player and coach just disagreed on how he should be utilized. Oshae thought he needed to play on the perimeter more to prove that his game could translate to the NBA and Boeheim wanted him inside because that was so clearly where he was at his best for us.

Oshae played on the perimeter enough. He took four three pointers a game, only making a pedestrian 30%... he was much better down low anyways

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don't think it makes sense for Guerrier to be gone after this season.  To me he DEFINITELY needs another year of development.

I think Griffen looks like an NBA player if he can get out of his own head and out of Boeheim's doghouse.

• Like (+1) 1