Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Where does Davis slot? Can he play PF? 

Benny Williams to UCF

Davis is mostly PF. Can probably fill in a little at C or SF if needed. He was the starting C for Delaware last year. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Jyare Davis to Syracuse is official. Gotta think Dakota Leffew will follow soon.

In outgoing transfer news, Justin Taylor committed to James Madison and Maliq Brown is visiting (gulp) Duke.

Taylor to James Madison??? He should have gone to Sienna! 

I think Maliq had one of his best games against Duke last year. Probably left quite a good impression. It would hurt to see him there.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Davis is mostly PF. Can probably fill in a little at C or SF if needed. He was the starting C for Delaware last year. 

Yeah but in a smaller league right? He's 6'7..

That could certainly fly in a mid major.. but I don't think he could play center in the ACC

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but in a smaller league right? He's 6'7..

That could certainly fly in a mid major.. but I don't think he could play center in the ACC

Certainly a smaller league, but he's basically the same size as Maliq Brown and probably a little stronger. I don't think we'll really want to play him at C but if McCleod and Patterson end up being hurt/non-factors, Davis will probably be asked to fill in.

• Like (+1) 1

Wouldn't that be something.  on a separate note, really jacked about this limpken(?) signing from colorado.  Not the typical Syracuse bean pole center.  gonna be a nice addition.

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Any chance Mintz comes back? 

Looking at the mocks, and I don’t see any chance of him being drafted at all. Maybe we can make it worth his while with NIL to stay? 

• Agree 1

Donnie Freeman finishes at number 6 in the ESPN 300 

******* Stud! And Elijah moore is one of the best shooters in the class 

Lumpkin at center with 7 footers backing him up... We got by a lot of accounts now... One of The best high school power forwards in the country 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Landed the Hofstra guard, Carlos. Seems like a good get. 

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2024/4/24/24139256/syracuse-orange-mens-basketball-hofstra-guard-jaquan-carlos-transfers

a buddy of mine said he heard some insider rumor that Leffew will pick us too. Not sure how accurate that is, but thought I would mention it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Just heard Orinze Onawaku(sp?) just joined GMac at Sienna along with Jason Hart, nice little staff he's building

Wow—Onuwaku, Hart, and Blackwell!  That is awesome that he is getting all these Cuse alumni! 

I bet we will see Syracuse players looking for more PT transferring to Siena (maybe vice versa too)— a mini-pipeline!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Wow—Onuwaku, Hart, and Blackwell!  That is awesome that he is getting all these Cuse alumni! 

I bet we will see Syracuse players looking for more PT transferring to Siena (maybe vice versa too)— a mini-pipeline!

It would have to be our worst of the worst like Peter carey

If we have recruits going to that conference then we're not recruiting good enough 

If we have recruits leaving... At least if they're going to duke like maliq it shows we're getting the right guys 

If we have a bunch of transfers going to sienna it shows that we're recruiting mid major guys lol

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It would have to be our worst of the worst like Peter carey

If we have recruits going to that conference then we're not recruiting good enough 

If we have recruits leaving... At least if they're going to duke like maliq it shows we're getting the right guys 

If we have a bunch of transfers going to sienna it shows that we're recruiting mid major guys lol

I don’t know. There has been so much recruiting “compression” these days with the transfer portal. And highly recruited kids now don’t want to stay to develop, and then don’t develop at all, and then have to go down a level.

For example, I think guys like Goodine and Braswell were well recruited by us and they ended up at some middling schools. 

On the flip side and maybe more likely, It wouldn’t surprise me that you could get grad transfers from a MAAC school who Syracuse would be after. Similar to a guy like Cam Spencer. Patriot league player to star player on UConn as a 24-year old grad transfer. 

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t know. There has been so much recruiting “compression” these days with the transfer portal. And highly recruited kids now don’t want to stay to develop, and then don’t develop at all, and then have to go down a level.

For example, I think guys like Goodine and Braswell were well recruited by us and they ended up at some middling schools. 

On the flip side and maybe more likely, It wouldn’t surprise me that you could get grad transfers from a MAAC school who Syracuse would be after. Similar to a guy like Cam Spencer. Patriot league player to star player on UConn as a 24-year old grad transfer. 

Goodine and braswell couldn't get a scholarship from Syracuse in 2005 

That's my point... The sanctions hurt Syracuse recruiting 

We went from getting top 70-80 recruits... To top 300 recruits... Goodine and braswell were 4-5th options... Not number one high priority recruits

Goodine should have never been in an su uniform... That's why he ended up at Fairfield 

I know the landscape is changing.. but Syracuse recruiting was very hampered during the sanctions... We were not getting the same type of basketball player we were getting for the last 40 years 

And it's going back in the right direction now.. with legitimate four and five-star recruits 

Goodine was basically a three-star guy which is not Syracuse caliber

We get top 100 high major four-star guys

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Kadary Richmond entering the transfer portal! Crazy how college bball

has changed. He is exactly the perfect player right now— 23-year old with tons of experience.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4701845/kadary-richmond

The fact he hasn't developed into an NBA player...

Boeheim would've had him top 15

• Agree 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:26 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Landed the Hofstra guard, Carlos. Seems like a good get. 

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2024/4/24/24139256/syracuse-orange-mens-basketball-hofstra-guard-jaquan-carlos-transfers

a buddy of mine said he heard some insider rumor that Leffew will pick us too. Not sure how accurate that is, but thought I would mention it. 

Leffew to his hometown school: Georgia.

9 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Who was the last SU player picked in the top 15?

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

my guess is Michael Carter-Williams? 

And he would be correct with Michael Carter-Williams 

Who is a tall slashing point guard like Richmond

11 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

11 years ago.  Boeheim got lazy, and recruiting fell off of a cliff.

Did you forget the serious sanctions? We lost three scholarships a year... Which is insane in basketball 

Sanctions only ended in 2020... And it still takes a couple of seasons to recover 

Syracuse went from getting top 80 recruits, with a top 20 guy every other year 

To top 350 recruits... That is a massive difference 

The players Syracuse normally recruit didn't want to come here under sanctions...

We literally have the 6th ranked player in the country coming in... The best power forward in the country... And one of the best guards from New York City 

Syracuse recruiting is back.. it just takes a couple cycles to build a team

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Did you forget the serious sanctions? We lost three scholarships a year... Which is insane in basketball 

Sanctions only ended in 2020... And it still takes a couple of seasons to recover 

Syracuse went from getting top 80 recruits, with a top 20 guy every other year 

To top 350 recruits... That is a massive difference 

The players Syracuse normally recruit didn't want to come here under sanctions...

We literally have the 6th ranked player in the country coming in... The best power forward in the country... And one of the best guards from New York City 

Syracuse recruiting is back.. it just takes a couple cycles to build a team

And whose fault were the sanctions?

No Top 15 picks in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 drafts?  Forget about the top 15 of the draft - Syracuse has only had 1 player selected in the NBA draft after 2017 (Hughes in 2020).   Just last season, schools like UCF, Santa Clara and Belmont had kids drafted in the first round.  The year before that, Santa Clara (again), Colorado State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  Even with any lingering effects of recruiting sanctions (which ended after the 2018-2019 season), Syracuse can't compete with the recruiting of these types of programs?

jim-boeheim-passed-out-594xjpg-49eca1452ca391f6.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

And whose fault were the sanctions?

No Top 15 picks in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 drafts?  Forget about the top 15 of the draft - Syracuse has only had 1 player selected in the NBA draft after 2017 (Hughes in 2020).   Just last season, schools like UCF, Santa Clara and Belmont had kids drafted in the first round.  The year before that, Santa Clara (again), Colorado State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  Even with any lingering effects of recruiting sanctions (which ended after the 2018-2019 season), Syracuse can't compete with the recruiting of these types of programs?

jim-boeheim-passed-out-594xjpg-49eca1452ca391f6.jpeg

Syracuse basketball from 2008-2017 went 9 out of 10 years with a first round pick 

Only Duke and Kentucky had a better streak... Then sanctions

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Syracuse basketball from 2008-2017 went 9 out of 10 years with a first round pick 

Only Duke and Kentucky had a better streak... Then sanctions

Sanctions were announced in 2015, and took effect starting with the 2015-16 season.

How did Boeheim get kids to commit  to - and stay with - Syracuse, such that they were able to make a FF run in '16 and have first round picks in '16 and '17?  There was no recruiting bump after the '16 FF?

26 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Sanctions were announced in 2015, and took effect starting with the 2015-16 season.

How did Boeheim get kids to commit  to - and stay with - Syracuse, such that they were able to make a FF run in '16 and have first round picks in '16 and '17?  There was no recruiting bump after the '16 FF?

We lost three scholarships a year from 15-16 , 16-17, 17-18, 18-19

That is a lot of scholarships that slowly started to effect the team ... And also recruiting 

Some of those teams from the late 2000s early 2010s we're playing 9 10 guys... Really good guys... Boeheim could bench the entire 5 and put in a brand new five and they could ball and win

We had top five pick Dion waiters on bench 

The sanctions put us down to six playable guys... Six talented guys 

We had Frank Howard and tyus battle and O'Shea brissett playing entire games 

There was no 7th 8th or 9th man... The depth of the team was gone