Football for a Buck: The Story of the USFL

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The NFL was found to be a predatory monopoly.  And the brain-dead jury awarded $1 in treble damages.  Unreal.

Should haveremain a Spring League.   After the judgment was announced, I had a fantasy football team named the Three Buck Bums. 

Without looking it up, can anybody name all the USFL teams?

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The NFL was found to be a predatory monopoly.  And the brain-dead jury awarded $1 in treble damages.  Unreal.

I wanted the USFL to fold because I wanted the Bills to have Kelly. I was elated with the court's decision!

Just now, RevWarRifleman said:

Without looking it up, can anybody name all the USFL teams?

Nope, but I'll try.

Chicago Blitz, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars, NJ Generals, Arizona Outlaws, LA Express, San Antonio Gunslingers, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers.  That's all I got. 

Just now, RevWarRifleman said:

You did pretty good though. After all it folded over 30 years ago, plus, some of those teams jumped to different cities, re-maned themselves, or just plane folded after a year or 2.

New Orleans started in Boston and there was also Oklahoma Outlaws at one point.  Arizona Wranglers too.  Damn these memory banks are getting hard to access. :)

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope, but I'll try.

Chicago Blitz, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars, NJ Generals, Arizona Outlaws, LA Express, San Antonio Gunslingers, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers.  That's all I got. 

Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers

Arizona Wranglers

Oklahoma Outlaws(OKC)/Arizona Outlaws

Orlando Renegades

Memphis Showboats

Pittsburgh Maulers

Tamp Bay Bandits

Jacksonville Bulls

Washington Federals

Oakland Invaders

Michigan Panthers (Detroit)

Denver Gold

Birmingham Stallions

all from memory. I use to bet heavily on USFL and made a killing so never forgot these teams.

edit...I was wrong about OKC. Outlaws played in Tulsa. Still called Oklahoma though.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, cba fan said:

Arizona Wranglers

Orlando Renegades

Memphis Showboats

Pittsburgh Maulers

Tamp Bay Bandits

Jacksonville Bulls

Washington Federals

Oakland Invaders

Denver Gold

Birmingham Stallions

I should have remembered the Stallions because one of favorite Bills in Joe Cribbs left to go there. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

Arizona Wranglers

Orlando Renegades

Memphis Showboats

Pittsburgh Maulers

Tamp Bay Bandits

Jacksonville Bulls

Washington Federals

Oakland Invaders

Denver Gold

Birmingham Stallions

all from memory. I use to bet heavily on USFL and made a killing so never forgot these teams.

edit...I was wrong about OKC. Outlaws played in Tulsa. Still called Oklahoma though.

26Corner and cba, great job! I haven't looked it up, but cba, I think you got it. Two of the more solid clubs were the TB Bandits and NJ Generals. Pretty much all the rest

were just financially just winging it.  Not that I wanted the league to succeed (more on this later) but they decided to expand the league to other cities after the first season.

That was too much for a lot of those teams.  By the end of only the 2nd season, they were close to folding. I wanted the league to fold because then the Bills could get Kelly.

That was really my overriding interest in the league. Just sign Kelly when the league is done!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope, but I'll try.

Impressive! I couldn't get past NJ Generals, the Express, and of course the Houston Gamblers (JK did always look good in their black unis) without looking it up