Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are not following what I am saying. This year was about getting our franchise qb. It was a complicated and costly endeavor. Stepping back to get a franchise qb in my mind is actually moving forward. My position has been the same for a number of years. You don't get anywhere unless you get yourself a franchise qb. It wasn't an easy task but this regime got it done. Is it guaranteed that Josh Allen is that caliber of qb? No, but it was worth the short term set back for the long term gain. 

And others point is then you should have bottomed out year one and pick One or two or three overall and still got your Franchise QB 

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So going into the first Rookies start with 4 WRs is smart? And then have him throw 33 times? 

And if that is Kerley isnt good why was he on the team?  Why not Coleman, Reiley or Phillips or Streater. 

Know what else Kerley offered is Return Stability in a game Murphy was clearly struggling. 

But know inactive McDermott, Useless Lacy and a 4th DT because it was Hot (as coach said) met more. 

Did you happen to see that Allen targeted 10 different players today?  Wide receivers, tight ends, running backs....these are all skill positions, not just 4 Wrs.

Again, you should be comparing Kerley to other skill position players...like you tried doing with Dimarco.  But, Kerley isn't as good.

And yes, Murphy made a bad decision to not fair catch 1 punt....doesnt qualify as struggling in my book.  He is actually one of the bright spots

You are digging yourself a bigger hole, get out before it's too late.....

Just now, HappyDays said:

Year one was the evaluation. We didn't start jettisoning the last regime's players until the offseason was almost over. Dareus took until mid-season to find someone willing to take his contract. This year we lost Incognito and Wood through no fault of our own, and we replaced our starting but mediocre QB and MLB with raw rookies. Most rebuilding regimes take their QB in year one but our regime showed up late. Firing Whaley was a last minute decision. Everything was delayed an extra year but it worked out because we have a ton of dead cap off the books at the end of this season.

We let several of our own players sign with other teams in FA before the season. We traded several players including a couple of our very best ones. Why did they need the evaluation process for all of those guys. Firing Whaley was not at all a last minute decision. As soon as McD was hired Whaley was out. McD demanded the power and he was given it. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And others point is then you should have bottomed out year one and pick One or two or three overall and still got your Franchise QB 

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, dabills21 said:

Did you happen to see that Allen targeted 10 different players today?  Wide receivers, tight ends, running backs....these are all skill positions, not just 4 Wrs.

Again, you should be comparing Kerley to other skill position players...like you tried doing with Dimarco.  But, Kerley isn't as good.

And yes, Murphy made a bad decision to not fair catch 1 punt....doesnt qualify as struggling in my book.  He is actually one of the bright spots

You are digging yourself a bigger hole, get out before it's too late.....

I know your a CoTP guy and cannot look at this team and how it is built objectively. Your Koolaid is strong. I get it

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I already said this but if the tank was last year we don't need to move up and use all of those resources to get our franchise QB. We drafted 22 and had to give away picks and players to get in a position to get Josh. If we starte the process last year we would have already been in that position, got Josh and had Glenn and another good draft pick. 

The Bills made the playoffs last year for the first time in a generation. I'm not going to complain about that. 

Just now, JohnC said:

The Bills made the playoffs last year for the first time in a generation. I'm not going to complain about that. 

The point is, again, you do one or the other, not both. They could have built off the 9-7 playoff team, got Josh, went for the playoffs again this year and then had a bunch of money next year. That is one way to do it and a good one. But they didn't. They blew it up, signed FA on the cheap, didn't restock with guys who could play, and now we are worse. That is also a decent way to do it. IF you are going to do that, get it out of the way early not the second year. We are a year behind in the process than we should be because they tried to do both, and did it in the wrong order. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I know your a CoTP guy and cannot look at this team and how it is built objectively. Your Koolaid is strong. I get it

I trust McDermott, I firmly believe that he will be in Buffalo and have long term success.

Patience is a virtue, and you should consider letting Beane and McDermott have time to make a difference for the long term success of this team.  That won't be known for a couple more years.

Your quips seem funny to you now, glad that is how you passively aggressively communicate.  call me a kool-aid drinker, CoTP or any other name you want, I'm excited for the teams future.  just odd that you feel the need to label someone...hmmmm

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The point is, again, you do one or the other, not both. They could have built off the 9-7 playoff team, got Josh, went for the playoffs again this year and then had a bunch of money next year. That is one way to do it and a good one. But they didn't. They blew it up, signed FA on the cheap, didn't restock with guys who could play, and now we are worse. That is also a decent way to do it. IF you are going to do that, get it out of the way early not the second year. We are a year behind in the process than we should be because they tried to do both, and did it in the wrong order. 

The Bills were not going to get Josh Allen or a qb that they wanted if they didn't trade Glenn and be in a better draft position for the next move down. That's where I disagree with you. The Bills took a calculated step back this year in order to secure not only their qb of the future but also to get cap space for next year. I understand your position but where I disagree with you is that it isn't as linear as you make it out to be. Sometimes you can't shed a player until you can get more value. An example of that is the trading of Tyrod. This year is going to be a difficult year because of the decision to go all out for the qb. Next year this franchise should be in a much better position. Again, I understand what you are saying but to a degree disagree with your take. In reality our thinking is more aligned than it appears to be. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Bills were not going to get Josh Allen or a qb that they wanted if they didn't trade Glenn and be in a better draft position for the next move down. That's where I disagree with you. The Bills took a calculated step back this year in order to secure not only their qb of the future but also to get cap space for next year. I understand your position but where I disagree with you is that it isn't as linear as you make it out to be. Sometimes you can't shed a player until you can get more value. An example of that is the trading of Tyrod. This year is going to be a difficult year because of the decision to go all out for the qb. Next year this franchise should be in a much better position. Again, I understand what you are saying but to a degree disagree with your take. In reality our thinking is more aligned than it appears to be. 

Why not? If they treated last year like this year they wouldn't have kept Tyrod, they would have won 4-5 games and they would have picked no lower than 7 without ever trading Glenn. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Why not? If they treated last year like this year they wouldn't have kept Tyrod, they would have won 4-5 games and they would have picked no lower than 7 without ever trading Glenn. 

Tyrod was on the market with no takers that year. So the team kept him at a reduced salary and  were competitive. I have no problem with that decision. Whether one agrees or disagrees with it I understand the thinking. In hindsight decision-making is easy. But that is not the real world. You make your best judgments in real time without the benefit of looking back. It turned out  the Bills were relatively competitive in McDermott's first year and made the playoffs. I'm not going to look back and be critical with his thought process. 

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Tyrod was on the market with no takers that year. So the team kept him at a reduced salary and  were competitive. I have no problem with that decision. Whether one agrees or disagrees with it I understand the thinking. In hindsight decision-making is easy. But that is not the real world. You make your best judgments in real time without the benefit of looking back. It turned out  the Bills were relatively competitive in McDermott's first year and made the playoffs. I'm not going to look back and be critical with his thought process. 

So was TT the future?  If not then why pass on Mahomes and Watson.  Those two will always be tied to A McD decision 

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So was TT the future?  If not then why pass on Mahomes and Watson.  Those two will always be tied to A McD decision 

Whaley lost his authority to McDermott. A decision was made to wait until the next year so the operation could be more closely examined. The former GM was fired, all of the scouting staff was let go and Beane was brought in. Just like Botterill with the Sabres using his first year for an assessment period that is the same thing that this new regime took. 

If it were up to me I would have drafted Mahomes and get the qb issue more quickly resolve. The new HC was not ready to make that decision at that time. Eventually, Josh Allen was drafted. I'm more than happy he was selected. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whaley lost his authority to McDermott. A decision was made to wait until the next year so the operation could be more closely examined. The former GM was fired, all of the scouting staff was let go and Beane was brought in. Just like Botterill with the Sabres using his first year for an assessment period that is the same thing that this new regime took. 

If it were up to me I would have drafted Mahomes and get the qb issue more quickly resolve. The new HC was not ready to make that decision at that time. Eventually, Josh Allen was drafted. I'm more than happy he was selected. 

Thanks for the Recap.  The Decision was made not to use Whaley's recommendation, just like to GUT Whaleys youth.  This organization owns that and Owns Passing on what looks like TWO Franchise QBs

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If not then why pass on Mahomes and Watson.  Those two will always be tied to A McD decision 

If you've watched Watson this year you would know he wouldn't add anything to our team. We won't regret passing on him. Mahomes we might want to wait a few more games at least. He's in a great position, similar to what Watson had last year. Although I will say his lack of turnovers has surprised me and his long term prospects are better than I had Watson last year. If Allen turns out to be good it won't matter though. This regime goes as he goes. If he busts we will be really terrible for a couple years until the next HC and GM are brought in to try again.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If you've watched Watson this year you would know he wouldn't add anything to our team. We won't regret passing on him. Mahomes we might want to wait a few more games at least. He's in a great position, similar to what Watson had last year. Although I will say his lack of turnovers has surprised me and his long term prospects are better than I had Watson last year. If Allen turns out to be good it won't matter though. This regime goes as he goes. If he busts we will be really terrible for a couple years until the next HC and GM are brought in to try again.

I agree, but reason Mahomes, Watson and Rosen will be tied to this Regime is because they passed on them.  So lets say Allen doesnt bust but is Say middle of the road, Dalton like, but two of those three come out and are top 3 QBs, that still reflects very badly on this Regime.  I also think because they passed on those three if any turn out decent and good and Allen flops they will not get a chance to take a second QB. Like alot of organizations allow.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, GG said:

Ok, the DT numbers look fine, and Thomas was inactive this week.  Time to reverse this personnel move.

Shaq is back, and I think his injury precipitated this move. Totally agree. Kerley is no great shakes but he’s a hell of a lot more reliable than the clowns Zay and KB.