Tennis Officials Get No Love.

Keukasmallies

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

Tennis is full of great players with the exact same temperament.   What the Internet buzz has been about is that women who yell and scream are treated differently than men who do the same.    It's a fair point.    The problem is, the men shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, either...

There is a long list of men similarly punished by this exact official.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

No kidding! I would have warned during the tirade about the game penalty, but that’s just me as a CYA move. That decided a US Open finals match, but it’s almost as if Serena wanted an excuse for losing. But it should NOT be and was NOT required

I couldn't hear the umpire.  Are we sure he didn't? 

Oz changed the rules for the 1990 (or whatever) Open, with forfeiture for the third warning, McEnroe was tossed on the third warning, the only time in history for a major

Oz and the French wasn't his thing so he may have welcomed the early exit.

I like watching sports and don't really care for all the politics and emotional causes that want to take over the actually playing of the event.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:37 AM, Doc Brown said:

John McEnroe and Andre Agassi were celebrated by berating tennis officials.  Andy Roddick said he's said worse to an official and wasn't given a penalty.  I think she has a point that she wouldn't have been penalized if she was a guy.

they stopped after first warning.  Serena received three warnings

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

her breakdown is fascinating to watch.  She is nuts!

i look forward to many of them as she won't retire during the ebbing of her tremendous skills

it's very entertaining, but not defensible

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

true character always reveals itself

athletes freak out sometimes, she does it more than every other top women's tennis star combined for the Open Era.

such a difference in her when she is stomping a cupcake, isn't there...  :D

I feel sorry for the young woman who had her day in the sun ruined by the reprehensible behavior of someone she apparently idolized. I hope the blush is off that particular idol. As it was, Osaka is reduced to tears and the NY audience kept cheering on the prima donna's meltdown. But there's another thread in this forum about folks looting a store while the attendant dies of a heart attack. Probably Serena fans.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I feel sorry for the young woman who had her day in the sun ruined by the reprehensible behavior of someone she apparently idolized. I hope the blush is off that particular idol. As it was, Osaka is reduced to tears and the NY audience kept cheering on the prima donna's meltdown. But there's another thread in this forum about folks looting a store while the attendant dies of a heart attack. Probably Serena fans.

I always have to laugh at those NY fans.  Early in his career, Connors was hated because of his behavior.  But, when he made that late career run in '91, he was loved and Agassi was hated.............Then, late in his career, Agassi was loved..............Now, Serena is in the loved age range. 

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

and then she carried on for hours hogging the spotlight from the champion