talent < teamwork

billsgpr88

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

If you want to see the greatest display of teamwork, I've ever seen, check out the 80's Lakers sometime.  

That was fluid, and that was teamwork, and that was one whole big ball of talent pulling it off.  God love football and the Bills, because this is my sport and my team, but it's a herky-jerky collaboration of opposing sides under one banner who make up a football team. 

The 80's Lakers were the greatest 'team' of my lifetime, and I hope our Bills can do something to even approach that. 

The 80's Celtics called to remind you they won head to head, 2 of 3 times.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not an either or proposition in the NFL. You need both. 

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it wasn't the contention being made.

The contention being made was, if you don't have both, a well-oiled team of average talent can thump more talented individuals who arent playing as a team.

I don't think people are talking about who wins the SB here or even who goes deep into the playoffs, just whether it's reasonable to paint the Bills as the worst team in the league.  Maybe.  Or maybe not.

I agree the way it was originally phrased was open to being misconstrued.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but it wasn't the contention being made.

The contention being made was, if you don't have both, a well-oiled team of average talent can thump more talented individuals who arent playing as a team.

Again, from his post: Football, more than any other sport, depends on coaching. Talent levels in the NFL are fairly close as they are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

He minimizes talent and that is a poor take as the importance of talent should not and cannot be minimized.   There is a discernable disparity in talent that differentiates the best teams. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or for that matter taking sides right? You cant have 11 that never played playing 11 quality players and think you will win. Flip that and if you have 11 me players that are more concerned about the stats on their football card you will have a dysfunctional loosing team imho.

On a smaller scale, when I coached little league, I had the team of misfits. First thing I did as a coach is build a competition mindset among the players. While we had 3 core players that played before, most of the team were new to the game. Competition in the sense of each one of them building the other up towards their potential built a team that was undefeated in year 1 and lost 1 game in year 2-4. If a team believes in each other and not just in themselves they will thrive. This was my experience and this was why I was excited with McD day one.

BTW, I pared the ones that could hit well with the ones that could not in the batting cages for a whole afternoon. They taught the ones that struggled up. throughout hte season the kids that struggled would be able to "coach" the others as to why they struck out. They were buying in to each other.

Edited by fansince88

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Football, more than any other sport, depends on coaching. Talent levels in the NFL are fairly close as they are supposed to be the cream of the crop. A well-oiled team of average talent will beat a team of studs 8 out of 10 times. 

But what about a team of well oiled studs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

There is no end to the number of ways Bills fans will try to rationalize the fact that we have a below average football team.

They earn an "A" for effort and really do deserve much better than they have received in most years. 

lets just go play the game tomorrow. 

I'll be there at least ..  Labatts, Molson and some family.   Sounds like a good plan.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

You need talent, and lots of it. However, a talented player who is a malcontent, or doesn't fit the scheme, or can't stay on the field, is a drag on the rest of the team. Sometimes addition by subtraction works. 

The Bills are short on talent. But if Allen buys in, if Edmund buys in, if Phillips buys in the way White bought in last year, it'll be worth an extra couple of wins. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

The Bills are short on talent. But if Allen buys in, if Edmund buys in, if Phillips buys in the way White bought in last year, it'll be worth an extra couple of wins. 

For Allen and for Edmunds, it's not just a case of buying in.

They need to develop pattern recognition to the point of automaticity, see-react (correctly) without intervention of conscious thought.  That simply takes time, different amounts for different people.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

There is no end to the number of ways Bills fans will try to rationalize the fact that we have a below average football team.

They earn an "A" for effort and really do deserve much better than they have received in most years. 

Generally true but ...

Rex's second year, they earned a D+ for effort.  That was on Rex.

Under McD they've earned an A++ so far.  5.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Coaching doesn't fix everything but it is hugely important.

10 draft picks and $80 million next year.  

We are going to be a Force.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

SB XXV is one case where the better coached team beat out the more talented.  :cry:

As well as SB XLII.  Coughlin out schemed Belichick.

What team has (just one side) of the ball that are all studs and no pieces missing?  None.  There are holes in every offense and defensive squad in every team, even in 'powerhouse' teams.  SBs XXV and XLII prove this, as well as  coaching mattering more than you seem to be giving credit.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

As well as SB XLII.  Coughlin out schemed Belichick.

What team has (just one side) of the ball that are all studs and no pieces missing?  None.  There are holes in every offense and defensive squad in every team, even in 'powerhouse' teams.  SBs XXV and XLII prove this, as well as  coaching mattering more than you seem to be giving credit.

Try again. I said both talent and coaching matter.   There are occasions where the lesser talented team wins and no one discounts that as I provided the SB XXV example. 

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For Allen and for Edmunds, it's not just a case of buying in.

They need to develop pattern recognition to the point of automaticity, see-react (correctly) without intervention of conscious thought.  That simply takes time, different amounts for different people.

By all means. I meant to say that buying in over and above...

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Or for that matter taking sides right? You cant have 11 that never played playing 11 quality players and think you will win. Flip that and if you have 11 me players that are more concerned about the stats on their football card you will have a dysfunctional loosing team imho.

On a smaller scale, when I coached little league, I had the team of misfits. First thing I did as a coach is build a competition mindset among the players. While we had 3 core players that played before, most of the team were new to the game. Competition in the sense of each one of them building the other up towards their potential built a team that was undefeated in year 1 and lost 1 game in year 2-4. If a team believes in each other and not just in themselves they will thrive. This was my experience and this was why I was excited with McD day one.

BTW, I pared the ones that could hit well with the ones that could not in the batting cages for a whole afternoon. They taught the ones that struggled up. throughout hte season the kids that struggled would be able to "coach" the others as to why they struck out. They were buying in to each other.

The NFL is not little league.

It doesn't matter how good your coaching is in the NFL, you need a minimum level of talent to compete.

The top 4-6 teams are generally separated by coaching decisions (game prep, in game execution, etc)

If your team doesn't have the talent to compete though, you just won't get anywhere against the top teams consistently (yes, I know "any given Sunday" applies, but frankly, there's a reason that the house always wins in Vegas, because odds and history favor the talented AND well coached teams over those devoid of talent, even if they are well coached).

Coaching gives you an edge and can win against ever a slightly more talented team.

Eventually there is a talent gap that cannot be overcome.

48 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Generally true but ...

Rex's second year, they earned a D+ for effort.  That was on Rex.

Under McD they've earned an A++ so far.  5.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Coaching doesn't fix everything but it is hugely important.

10 draft picks and $80 million next year.  

We are going to be a Force.

GOING TO BE and NEXT YEAR are the keys.

This year, it's a rebuild.

Talent allows a mediocre coach to look smart  even though his team never steals a win and loses games where his team had more talent

he never makes adjustments or comes up with something  to get a further edge, the game plays out and if his stacked team plays better they win

The list is long and some are at Canton

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

The prognosticators Keep adding Glen as one of the players we lost by trading him away in the off season. He didn't play much at all last season. Also have heard about the loss of #99, (Gone before the halfway point) Tyrod (no loss) Watkins (gone in preseason) Woods (big loss but Groy will grow into that spot fine) and Incognito (this one is tough). All that said we don't know what talent level we have until they play together in regular season. ?‍♂️.  So all that said. We may or may not have talent. Much of what they quote as loss isnt loss at all. Much of what we have gained has not had a chance to prove itself. We shall see but Im on the side of talent is a strong possibility and winning is also. Until proved wrong I will say 19-0 baby!

So until Sunday LoL.

Just kidn I actually think we can win that one.  But the reality of this season is that there's a lot of unknowns.