Why Does Brandon Beane Call Nate Peterman “Steady Eddie?”

BuffaloRush

I’ve listened to Brandon Beane’s past media appearances.  Whenever he talks up Nate Peterman, he always says “he’s Steady Eddie.”

What the hell does “Steady Eddie” even mean?  Is that like calling someone “Charlie Hustle?”  I’ve never once hear anyone call someone a Steady Eddie, so I don’t know what that means.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Did a Google search:

"Christopher Widdows, known under the stage name of Steady Eddy is an Australian comedian and actor with Cerebral palsy."

Was that helpful?

Hell no.

I Googled the term too.  From what i was able to find being called a “Steady Eddie” is not exactly a compliment.  It means you are overly careful or cautious.  Not a good trait for your QB unless your name is Tyrod Taylor.  

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/steady-eddy-eddie.2002822/

Just now, HamSandwhich said:

Nah man, it means his real name is Eddie...where'd you get Steady?

I’ve never heard someone call someone a “Steady Eddie.”  WTF

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’ve listened to Brandon Beane’s past media appearances.  Whenever he talks up Nate Peterman, he always says “he’s Steady Eddie.”

What the hell does “Steady Eddie” even mean?  Is that like calling someone “Charlie Hustle?”  I’ve never once hear anyone call someone a Steady Eddie, so I don’t know what that means.

"Steady" is what you call your quarterback when you can't accurately use better adjectives, like "good."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Hell no.

I Googled the term too.  From what i was able to find being called a “Steady Eddie” is not exactly a compliment.  It means you are overly careful or cautious.  Not a good trait for your QB unless your name is Tyrod Taylor.  

I’ve never heard someone call someone a “Steady Eddie.”  WTF

I thought he had the whole Sheldon Cooper issue where he has to knock more than once.  Though Bean couldn't say the "eady" part of Steady just once...had to be twice.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Hell no.

For a guy whose draft Scouting Report called him out for " Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws." and who threw at least 4 INTs last season where this was a factor, "overly careful or cautious" could be a Good Thing

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

It's an old idiom or cliche. You can find it in the urban dictionary. It's a very old saying. Was around when I was a boy and that was a while. Means you can count on a person for consistency.

It's been around since before Steady Eddie Murray, who was a terrific player by the way. Very consistent. And a Hall of Famer.

EDIT: Here's a 1962 vintage "Steady Eddie" balancing game. Murray's rookie year was 1977. And Milton Bradley didn't make up the name, they just used it. It's been around a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Steady-Eddie-Balancing-Original-Version/dp/B00B5TOHBS

And Hockey Hall of Famer Ed Giacomin was another Steady Eddie. Mel Allen used to call Yankee pitcher Ed Lopat (1944 - 1955, 166 - 112, career ERA 3.21) Steady Eddie. Again, it's a really old phrase.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

What the hell would Straight Nate mean?

Well, in the LA/SD game, straight into the hands of the defensive unit.  ?

OK, Straight Nate promised not to let it happen again.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Cutting the starting QB some slack.