We are getting a new dog

Punching Bag

She was quiet first few days (shock of new home) but now has developed a barking habit barking anytime she hears a strange noise.  Today it got worse with her barking at my wife when she came in after work and then at me when I came downstairs to go to work.  My wife said not to worry because she was wagging her tail but never saw a dog react like that to someone she knows (I was petting her earlier in day).  My daughter's ride never came today so Zelda had a lot of bonding time with my daughter but on Friday Zelda will be home alone on house with me until I go to my physical therapy.

Issue will be when I go back to work full time and I am working to 3-4 am in morning and my daughter leaves between 8 and 9 am.  We did dog sitting for a friend's dog and every day he was waking me up as soon as no one was around.  It did not matter if he was inside or outside.  Eventually we needed to get a muzzle for him to wear until I got up from sleep but that solution is good for no one.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:36 PM, Limeaid said:

Issue will be when I go back to work full time and I am working to 3-4 am in morning and my daughter leaves between 8 and 9 am.  We did dog sitting for a friend's dog and every day he was waking me up as soon as no one was around.  It did not matter if he was inside or outside.  Eventually we needed to get a muzzle for him to wear until I got up from sleep but that solution is good for no one.

Sounds as though it will be helpful for you guys to work with a trainer. 

Is the daughter willing to take dog for a good walk or run before leaving, and are you willing for the dog to be in the room where you're sleeping?  Both usually helpful.

Good luck!

i disagree with rescue dogs, unless you do your research.  I think this whole rescue dog thing is just perpetuating the problem. Spade and Neuter! Adopting them is just adding to the problem. Pay the money to a responsible breeder, or don't think you deserve a dog.

2 hours ago, Sanners said:

i disagree with rescue dogs, unless you do your research.  I think this whole rescue dog thing is just perpetuating the problem. Spade and Neuter! Adopting them is just adding to the problem. Pay the money to a responsible breeder, or don't think you deserve a dog.

What a terrible take this is. Not because I disagree but just because it's simply not true.

If you "do your research", you would know that breeders are the ones perpetuating a problem and adopting solves a problem only solved otherwise by mass euthanasia.

Also, adopting REQUIRES a spay or neuter.

The line about using a breeder or you don't deserve one? Wow thats preposterous.

Really, do some research. You don't have to tell us, or even admit it to anyone, but you would benefit from it.

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 10:59 PM, Shotgunner said:

What a terrible take this is. Not because I disagree but just because it's simply not true.

If you "do your research", you would know that breeders are the ones perpetuating a problem and adopting solves a problem only solved otherwise by mass euthanasia.

Also, adopting REQUIRES a spay or neuter.

The line about using a breeder or you don't deserve one? Wow thats preposterous.

Really, do some research. You don't have to tell us, or even admit it to anyone, but you would benefit from it.

I may not have explained myself well. What breeds are commonly at the shelter? Also, does anyone adopt dogs that are old or with needs? It is simply perpetuating breeding programs and their corresponding issues, when people are so proud to get a dog from a shelter. How many Pit Bulls do we need adopting? 

I am all for people taking on dogs that need help, like those that are dropped off due to a death of their providers or strays. All I ever see, is too many puppies and 80% are Pits.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds as though it will be helpful for you guys to work with a trainer. 

Is the daughter willing to take dog for a good walk or run before leaving, and are you willing for the dog to be in the room where you're sleeping?  Both usually helpful.

Good luck!

Trainer schedule was very busy and only time he had was from 3-5 PM on Sunday.  My wife is terrible with directions and the time was terrible if I wanted to watch the game but family came first so went with wife to trainer.  Beautiful facility.  Effectively the top half of a very long barn with floor sort of like stadiums and lots of space and tools for training.  I did not want to get involved since my daughter is the one who she should bind too.  

He ran her through a lot of exercises, told her to get a different type of leash than which shelter provided and gave her some useful references.

My daughter does not run and I have expressed her issues in thread. She has special needs and getting her to do anything requiring work is a lot of effort which I cannot be doing when trying to sleep and I cannot walk with her with the dog like my wife does in evening.  I have very bad sleeping issues which is my wife has put up night curtains blocking as much possible light as possible and no she cannot be in our bedroom for she would whine for attention defeating purpose as well as is a shedder despite daily brushing.

She is doing okay outside but right now she does not have full access to yard and is leashed.  She has already tangled her leash around and around a plant in side yard and was not smart enough to know how to reverse course to nuntaggle herself.

She likes to bark at squirrels but cannot seem to tell difference between squirrels in our yard or on fence between our yards and neighbor and those in other yards. Our side yard is not really a yard but is a driveway going all the way side of house and into back because previous owner fixed cars as well as did a lot of other jobs.  Our backyard has my wife's gardens, decks and lots of places she could get in trouble. 

My wife wants more covered space and I thought a metal carport but having trouble finding one which will fit.  Virginia has been getting a lot of rain and frankly in my opinion a dog house is fine for short term but not on days it may be drizzling all day.

1 hour ago, Sanners said:

I may not have explained myself well. What breeds are commonly at the shelter? Also, does anyone adopt dogs that are old or with needs? It is simply perpetuating breeding programs and their corresponding issues, when people are so proud to get a dog from a shelter. How many Pit Bulls do we need adopting? 

I am all for people taking on dogs that need help, like those that are dropped off due to a death of their providers or strays. All I ever see, is too many puppies and 80% are Pits.

I looked at volunteering at the Humane Society here. A guy on my college hoops board is a Board Member for a huge facility in Ohio. We both saw about the same thing.....north of 80% of dogs in shelters are Pits. I admit I don’t trust them, despite how sweet many are. It seems to be part owner, part how they were raised, and maybe part breeding. But for some reason, they take up most cages in the facility. Very sad, in many ways. 

My wife asked by a friend if she wanted a 8 or 9 month german shepherd! 

A friend of a friend's daughter bought her a dog for her birthday and then they discovered they cannot have pets and from experience shepherds are not an animal you can keep in an apartment for they are rarely quiet. 

I can see my wife thinking about it and if she had been asked before we got Zelda she probably would have said yes but fortunately she realizes that puppies (although I think 8 or 9 month is out of cute puppy stage) require a lot of work.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

A friend of a friend's daughter bought her a dog for her birthday and then they discovered they cannot have pets and from experience shepherds are not an animal you can keep in an apartment for they are rarely quiet. 

I can see my wife thinking about it and if she had been asked before we got Zelda she probably would have said yes but fortunately she realizes that puppies (although I think 8 or 9 month is out of cute puppy stage) require a lot of work.

good thinking

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I hope the birthday gift was planned and not a surprise.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

One is enough at present

it is foolish to give living creatures as surprise gifts

I certainly wouldn't and neither would any of my family members.  I found it ironic she was offered a shepherd after we adopted one.  Maybe the person asking thought they were like cats where an additional cat does not seem as much as an effort from what I have seen from cat owners who adopt additional ones very easily.

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I certainly wouldn't and neither would any of my family members.  I found it ironic she was offered a shepherd after we adopted one.  Maybe the person asking thought they were like cats where an additional cat does not seem as much as an effort from what I have seen from cat owners who adopt additional ones very easily.

Somw kind of social effect dictates that when you announce you just got a cat or dog then people tell you about a dozen opportunities you just missed to get one.

you never hear about these chances if you don’t say you got a new dog or cat