Is a "Bad" Year Really All That Bad for the Bills?

Midwest1981

47 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

This season is already set up for failure by McDermott, by starting Nathan Peterman we instantly have the worst QB in the NFL by a mile, which means it's gonna be a bad season, the big saving grace would be if came out of this season with and answer on Josh Allen,  instead he's relegated to friggen scout team reps, where he will develop exactly zero and we're gonna spend all of our real in season reps on a guy that can't make a single NFL throw to save his life. I dunno, looks like a complete loss this season and a big mess created ON POURPOSE by the HC.

Tell us how you really feel.  I would like to see Allen it would at least be exciting to see him out there.  But peterman did play very well this pre season.  Just cause Allen isnt starting doesnt mean we wont see him this year.  Lets just hope for good QB play from whoever is out there.

The elephant in the room is TB12. Nothing we were going to do this past year was going to make us competitive with him. But his time is running out once he’s gone the future of the division is up for grabs. I want to be the team that is built to fill that void. So I’m ok with athletic high upside rookies.  I’m ok with eating dead money this year. I’m ok with building draft capital this year. All of those things will make us better next year. This is the perfect time to rebuild. I’d love to see us win games but I’d much rather see us making moves that help the 2019 Bills. 

1 hour ago, greeneblitz said:

This season is already set up for failure by McDermott, by starting Nathan Peterman we instantly have the worst QB in the NFL by a mile, which means it's gonna be a bad season, the big saving grace would be if came out of this season with and answer on Josh Allen,  instead he's relegated to friggen scout team reps, where he will develop exactly zero and we're gonna spend all of our real in season reps on a guy that can't make a single NFL throw to save his life. I dunno, looks like a complete loss this season and a big mess created ON POURPOSE by the HC.

He absolutely can develop without being a starter, that being said the chances of him riding the pine all year are slim. A guy like Peterman exists to be just good enough to win the starting job while you acclimate your rookie but you have no intention of him being able to hold that spot once the rookie is brought up to speed. 

Big picture folks.  So long as this tear down/rebuild/we're still gonna compete ends with me buying a Nick Bosa jersey in May, I'm good.

The core of the defense: 

Bosa

Edmunds

Phillips 

White

Figure out oline and pray Peterman or Allen are for real we'll be a legit contender in the next 2-3 years.   

As a fan, it’s not the worse fate. 

As as a coach and gm, they must improve on last year. We all know they lucked into the playoffs while all stats were down significantly, from Rex’ team. 

I really want these these guys to make it past the typical 3 years span for unsuccessful coach and Gms. (Not looking good)

Tanking this year will be the beginning of the end for McD and Beane. Who will be on the hot seat for year three and lame ducks. 

Id prefer success and so would the front office, especially the owners. 

That dark cloud, cursed loser culture is a thing of the past. They are winners and will continue to dominate. 

Edited by COTC

Its easy now to be in agreement with the OP.  

However once the games get going I can’t help but want to see wins.  If we get blown out on MNF against the Pats in the middle of the year at home I don’t know if process will be the first thing that comes to mind!  Just being honest ?

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

A bad year likely implies that our quarterbacks played like crap all year. 

We really need to get some OL play and pass catching targets so we can figure out if these guys are any good. Going to be tough to even evluate. 

5 minutes ago, dayman said:

We really need to get some OL play and pass catching targets so we can figure out if these guys are any good. Going to be tough to even evluate. 

If a QB is any good they usually compensate for a bad supporting cast. 

If both QBs look like a deer in the headlights this year, I think we're in major trouble heading into 2019. 

9 minutes ago, COTC said:

As a fan, it’s not the worse fate. 

As as a coach and gm, they must improve on last year. We all know they lucked into the playoffs while all stats were down significantly, from Rex’ team. 

I really want these these guys to make it past the typical 3 years span for unsuccessful coach and Gms. (Not looking good)

Tanking this year will be the beginning of the end for McD and Beane. Who will be on the hot seat for year three and lame ducks. 

Id prefer success and so would the front office, especially the owners. 

That dark cloud, cursed loser culture is a thing of the past. They are winners and will continue to dominate. 

There is no way McBeane is on the hot seat after this year. They just ended the streak while beginning a rebuild. 2020 is the first year they could possibly be on the hot seat. 

4 minutes ago, dayman said:

This is a HUGE GM FAIL IMHO.  

You draft the franchise and then don't get him help. Didn't have to be this way. Could have taken Ridley with the second 1st round pick for example.  

Hopefully it all works out.

Go BILLS !!

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

There is no way McBeane is on the hot seat after this year. They just ended the streak while beginning a rebuild. 2020 is the first year they could possibly be on the hot seat. 

If they win 3 or less games, I guarantee you both McD and Beane will be on the hot seat. 

Rex was fired after two years...

Just now, reddogblitz said:

If it is a bad season, then yes. LOSING ALWAYS SUCKS FOR ANY REASON.

Exactly.

All I see in the OP’s post is a bunch of assumptions, hopes and wishes, all of which he (or she) is trying to use to rationalize away an anticipated lost season. The OP assumes he knows what Beane is anticipating, how much rope the coaching staff perceives themselves to have, what the ownership’s expectations are, etc...

On top of that, I read a glowing premonition of the future; as if Beane is going to use all that free cap money masterfully and get the train back on the tracks post haste.

Sorry, but I put no value in these predictions. Football is entertainment, plain and simple. Both players and fans are enjoying themselves when the team is winning not losing. Laying an egg this season is bad. “Really” bad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

if they are tanking and we go say 4-12. Then in 2019 we start slow, say 3-6, seats will be getting toasty.

3 minutes ago, COTC said:

If they win 3 or less games, I guarantee you both McD and Beane will be on the hot seat. 

Rex was fired after two years...

Rex was in a different situation, he inherited a top defense and was supposed to make them better and win games, he failed and lost the team while he was at it.  In this situation there is no doubt that they expect to struggle and so ownership wou t be surprised when/ if they do.  If they don’t improve in 2019 then that is when the seat gets hot. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Ultimately, just getting in isn’t that exciting of a goal. Either you are a contender, in purgatory, building or failing miserably. 

Outside of busting up the statistical anomaly of not reaching the playoffs in our 20 year purgatory, last year didn’t change our status much. If allen is the dude, this could be our first major change in status since 99, even if it’s a non playoff season. It would be exciting to be building a contender, even if that’s a half step back in the win column this season. 

Yeah.......it's ultimately about building a contender for a long period of time by getting a franchise QB.

The prior reluctance to take chances on the QB position is why they've not been able to make a move in status.

Tanking not only doesn't guarantee you success it usually just leads to a losing culture that can be hard to get rid of.

The simple fact is that almost all of the top organizations in the NFL made the jump from mediocrity to excellence.

Bills fans have gotten a bit detached from the rest of the league in the past decade or so but worst-to-first stories aren't that common in the NFL anymore.

So the excuse that the Bills mediocrity has kept them down is utter horseshit.

I think the objective remains to AT LEAST remain competitive by any means necessary.

A half step back?   OK......depending on how that half step back goes.   The tenor of the season matters.

But 2-14 or 4-12.......that's not what you want to see in year 2 of any regime that's built on the idea that character trumps talent..........that REALLY makes the process look like a line of ****.

5 minutes ago, StrikeParry said:

Exactly.

All I see in the OP’s post is a bunch of assumptions, hopes and wishes, all of which he (or she) is trying to use to rationalize away an anticipated lost season. The OP assumes he knows what Beane is anticipating, how much rope the coaching staff perceives themselves to have, what the ownership’s expectations are, etc...

On top of that, I read a glowing premonition of the future; as if Beane is going to use all that free cap money masterfully and get the train back on the tracks post haste.

Sorry, but I put no value in these predictions. Football is entertainment, plain and simple. Both players and fans are enjoying themselves when the team is winning not losing. Laying an egg this season is bad. “Really” bad.

When ownership signs off on the second highest dead cap hit ever then they clearly see the GM as bailing them out from a sinking ship left by the previous GM. That alone says a lot about their expectations and the leeway they give. 

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

If we bottom out this year and get our "Dahlin" in the draft I'd be fine with it.  

The problem is the organization thinks we already have that guy.  His name is Josh Allen.

So they aren't going to take another top QB next year, even if they should.

The most dominant, can't miss, pass rusher would be a good second choice though.